• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,564 Member
    Options
    Lololol. Pppp
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    JANET ~ Love your dress and shoes. You look very pretty.

GINGER ~ Your meal looks so healthy and delicious. There are not very many potatoes so I wouldn't worry about that.

MAE ~ I'm so sorry to hear about your fall and all the resulting trauma. Healing prayers going your way.

KELLY ~ Good news about Pi boy. Hope the delivery goes great.

SARAH ~ (((Hugs)))

I am going to have to drive on the interstate today to meet long time friends for lunch at a place called the OK Cafe. It is known for it's good Southern food. It burned down a few years ago and has been rebuilt. Think I will have the vegetable soup and maybe a side salad.

Carol in damp cold GA...so glad I'm not up North.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,123 Member
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 75

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 30
    Russian kettle bell swing-19X 10 X 30

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Nicer weather today! Just getting ready to go on the first of my 2 mile walks today! 2-2 mile walks!

I lost another 0.4 lbs yesterday! The keto diet is fantastic! Today I am having cheese curds and deep-fried mini pork shanks dipped in ranch dressing! This is not a diet for me it is the way I love to eat! Eat fat burn fat and cholesterol drops! Unbelievable!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Butternut is one of my very favorite squashes. That said, we've pretty much abandoned it in favor of sweet potatoes because they're also nutritionally powerful & much easier to prepare. Lazy me. This is from American Insititute for Cancer Research:

A: Pumpkin and winter squash (including acorn, butternut and hubbard) are in the same plant family, and their nutrient content is similar. As with sweet potatoes, the deep orange color of pumpkin and winter squash signals that they are very high in compounds called carotenoids. In laboratory studies, carotenoids function as antioxidants and aid in controlling cell growth, which could mean they help reduce cancer risk. Human studies link higher consumption of foods containing carotenoids with lower risk of some cancers. All three vegetables are also packed with potassium, which seems to promote good blood pressure control. All are good sources of vitamin C, too, with sweet potatoes containing the highest amounts. Sweet potatoes are richer in natural sugars and starches than most vegetables, making them higher in calories. One-half cup of sweet potatoes has about 90 calories compared to 30 to 40 calories in one-half cup of pumpkin or winter squash.
    Many recipes with these vegetables include so much butter, margarine, sugar or syrup, they become quite high in calories. However, those additions are not necessary to enjoy their wonderful flavor. For a quick-and-easy way to boost nutrients and color to your meal, add puréed frozen or canned winter squash or pumpkin to soup, stew or even smoothies. (Just be sure the canned pumpkin is pure, unsalted pumpkin and not sweetened pumpkin pie mix.) Cubes of fresh squash, pumpkin or sweet potatoes are delicious in stir-fries and stews, and mix well with many different flavor combinations. All three choices are also terrific roasted in the oven, either alone or with other vegetables, drizzled with just a bit of olive oil; and you can cook them by steaming as well.

We do not add sugar or syrup to our squash or our sweet potatoes.
    On another topic, I love your reminder, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." I need that right now.:heart:

KJ: I hope your daughter has an easy birth and healthy baby. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I've never seen tape like that before. Let us know how it works out. :smiley:

Karen in VA: Good news about baby Olivia. Yay! :heart: :heart: :heart:

NYKaren: I'm so sorry that your dear friend's family is having so many health issues. Sending good thoughts. :flowerforyou:

Carol: Enjoy your meal with friends. :smile:

I didn't sleep well last night due to upset over a neighbor who is messing with our landscape. I didn't appreciate her critique or messing with my plants. Calling the Homeowner's President later this morning. AGAIN.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Heather - Thanks! Yes. I would normally leave off the potato also. But it was only one small new potato cut into 3 pieces. It weighed 1 oz., 17 calories and 3.8g carbs.
    The Kraft Buttermilk Ranch dressing was 2 Tablespoons for 110 calories and 2g carbs. I added a Tablespoon of ground flaxseed for 30 calories, 2g carbs, 2g fiber. Then added a little red wine vinegar to thin the mixture some. I've been experimenting with adding the ground flaxseed to different foods - in varying amounts - to add fiber here and there throughout the day.

The whole meal was 495 calories, 25g protein, 22g carbs, 8g fiber. It was a bit much. I felt too full. Next time I would scale it back with less of everything.

Everyone - Thank you for your comments about my meal. This group is so kind and supportive. I though if I posted pics of my supper at night. It might encourage me to do better with meal planning. We'll see.

--Ginger in Texas
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Good morning, y'all -

Mia - Welcome back! I feel for everyone dealing with power outages. I'd be lost without connectivity, although I suppose I'd enjoy the enforced vacation.

Becky - Hope you got a good night's sleep!

Karen - Great news about your physical. Congratulations on not needing the statin.

Ginger - I do a weekly meal plan like that too, but mine's not nearly as pretty! Mine just has three meals on it. I don't plan snacks, and I often don't fill out breakfast and lunch since they tend to be the same every day. Instead I keep appropriate options on hand and reach for one of them. For me the really crucial thing is to get dinners planned, because that's when we get lost and go for the fast food.

DJ - You look lovely in your dress, and I like those "glass slippers!" And I just adore your beautiful white hair.

Paula - What a wonderful trip to look forward to! Hope you'll post some whale pictures when you get back!

Mae - Welcome back. I'm happy to "meet" you and glad you're recovering from your injury. We have a friend who's still in long term care a year after a TBI, so I know it's a long road back to "normal."

Chris - That's right, you've got to find a way to ignore those little variations on the scale and just focus on the general trend. The Potential Boyfriend sounds very sweet.

Kelly - How exciting! Looking forward to baby pictures soon!

Lisa - Oh, sixteen weeks sounds like an awfully long time! No doubt it sounds even longer to you and your husband. The tape does look cool, though.

Katla - What an annoying neighbor! How does she figure she's got the right to mess with your plants?!

Sorry to hear the weather is causing problems for so many people. All the same, I can't help looking back wistfully on our "snow years." In the twelve years we lived in the mountains we had the perfect amount of snow. It always snowed before Halloween, and the last snow was usually sometime in April. We lived in the country and our steep gravel road was tricky at times, but the county kept the main road clear because it was a school bus route. For the most part, the only shoveling I had to do was sweeping out the satellite dish when the internet connection went down. I've been desperately missing cross country skiing, and have never found any other sport that I enjoy like that.

Wishing you all a joyous and productive day -

-Yvonne in TX
  • grogers511
    Options
    Accountability Post
    March Goals
    Monday's Progress
    ✔1. Carbs 50-75g (limit 25g/meal)
    (B14, L8, D22, AS11 = 55g)
    ✔2. Fiber 30g
    ✔3. Track/complete entry daily
    ✔4. Vegetables - big salad daily
    5. Exercise - log 30 Fitbit minutes.
    ✔6. No eating after 9pm.
    7. In bed by midnight.
    8. Declutter: ✔Office Supplies, Electronics, Music, Craft Supplies, Cleaning Supplies, Utility Drawer, Utility Closet

I joined a Fitbit work week challenge - so I better get to stepping. And... I didn't get to bed until 1am. Just busy doing stuff and let the time pass me by.

**Ginger in Texas
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,353 Member
    Options
    NYKAREN – what a great report on the physical! Isn’t it nice to have all your hard work and changed eating habits confirmed in addition to a change on the scale? You gals inspire me!

GINGER – love your weekly menu! I try to pre-log the food for my day but I can see where this type of planning has definite advantages, especially to work in some days with higher carbs to “confuse” things- thank you Beth! Was this a template you grabbed or your own creation? Your supper with the rotisserie chicken looked great! I need to put one back on the list. We have a local store that advertises a “5 buck cluck” and they are normally good sized….unlike Walmart’s which were large pigeon size for a while, lol.

DJ – that is one gorgeous dress! What a flattering style! I’m sure you made a few of the gals there a bit green with envy. Cute shoes and thanks for the reminder to touch up my toenails – soon will be sandal weather….won’t it?

JOYCE – we have a small generator, I want to say it was around $500 from Home Depot perhaps. Haven’t had the need to use it yet – but if we do lose power we’d plug in the fridge and freezer. We have a woodstove and other means to heat up water and food (camp stoves).

BECCA – your wavy hair looks so thick and healthy. Let us know if the “losing hair” continues to slow down. My hairdresser said that massaging coconut oil into the scalp helped in that regard but I wasn’t that faithful in trying it on a regular basis.

LOIS – don’t beat yourself up – as others have mentioned, we’ve all strayed from the journey from time to time and it’s understandable with your DH’s cancer. Good thing is you are back on track. Hope he’s doing OK! Good luck in blizzard land today!

KAREN – thank you for another photo of Katie and Olivia. I had never heard of Compassion Fatigue so I looked it up. I admire all of you in any “helping” profession that have to deal with other’s needs on a daily basis. I have never been attracted to this job field and I wonder now if it’s that fact that I’m an ENTJ (Myer’s Briggs) or such a control freak I couldn’t accept dealing with things I can’t control. I know in the emergency services field, the dispatchers I worked with had pretty sick senses of humor from time to time and it was encouraged – wasn’t disrespectful, it was a way of coping. Good for you taking care of yourself! I so appreciate the insightful dialogue between Heather and you and others about this. And the “DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD” really resonates!

So glad Olivia’s dialysis is done and plans for home-coming are in the works.

LISA – Corey’s arm looks like something from Ironman! Will he also have to wear a protective brace? Is he left-handed? Hopefully time will pass quickly and he’ll be back to work in no time at all.

RORY – glad you like the muffin recipe. I put some orange zest in mine this morning and it was delish.
    KELLY – glad Pi boy is on the way....might be here already!

RITA – golly that RV looks very nice!! That roll up awning will come in handy. 28’ seems like the perfect length – should handle easily in traffic. Thanks for the snow pix – please keep us up to date!

CAROL – That Café sounds yummy. I loved the movie “Fried Green Tomatoes” so I think of southern cooking in a place like that – watch out for the BBQ, lol. >:) Enjoy your meal!

HEATHER – glad the fix-it guy is replacing the fan today. Happy Birthday Bea! These babies seem ever-joyful and fun to be around!

KATLA – I’m a big fan of winter squash and sweet potatoes too. If summer weather cooperates, I like to plant little delicata, and baby dumpling. They are smaller, generally one or two servings and naturally very sweet. Last year, even tho the weather was hot, they didn’t seem to grow well. Crossing fingers for a better year.

Welcome new members and welcome back Mae and others. Mae, wow – right there is a good reason to NOT go out when it’s icy if at all possible. Glad you are recovering and back with this group. Stay warm!

Comment on herbal tea – one of our favorites is at Trader Joe’s called “Well Rested”. Has chamomile, lemongrass, mint, hawthorne berries and a few other good things. I drink it any time of the day as a break from coffee or black tea.

Just got back from my first “walk in the rain” today. We live on a ¼ mile long private dead-end road – very little traffic, so up and down it twice is a mile. Want to get another one in today – yesterday I got drenched first time out so for the afternoon walk wore my “rubber raincoat”. Thought I’d sweat to death but it wasn’t bad.

Question for those of you who are able to eat your exercise calories – how is that calculated? Do you have a fitness device like Fitbit or Apple Watch which does it for you? All I can get from my Fitbit info is the steps and calories burned. The steps are showing up on MFP but calories not yet – Tech is still working on it.

I’m sure there is a non-device formula for this…something like BMR (mine is 1366 per MFP). Yesterday I got in around 7500 steps which is showing a total of 1811 calories burned…I am guessing that’s taking into account the 1366 BMR?

I’m trying to intuit this but not sure if I am starting with the right data.

Sorry for the epistle, hugs to those needing hugs. Waving HI everyone-don't slip, take care shoveling, stay warm and dry those of you in the midst of the blizzz!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Sending warm thoughts to all of you who are snowed in!

Heather: I also have a major problem with the public smoking here in France. Smoking is banned in all public buildings, so the smokers all congregate outside. Part of the joy of living in France for me is sitting in a sidewalk cafe and watching the world go by. I only do that now if there is a separate outdoor non-smoking section. This morning I went to a local shopping mall and parked in the underground parking. Before I went out the door, I took a deep breath and held it until I was well away from the smoking zone.

Karen: Olivia looks so much better. You must all be relieved!

Katla: I also usually skip the dip and sprinkle the chicken breasts directly with the dill and the garlic salt. Dill is lovely with chicken.

NYKaren: congratulations on the good results!

Ginger: Love the variety in your menu and the look of the spreadsheet.

Sarah: Don't be too discouraged; I think losing gets a little harder as we age, but you will get there!

Paula: Your trip sounds lovely!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,236 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Leigh - One of my favourite things in all the world is lunch under an umbrella. B) Can't do it now in France. Middle/Upper class older women seem to be the worst offenders. And as for those plastic covered outdoor spaces in the winter time - it's just a fug. :sad: We didn't have a problem in Spain, nor in Mexico.

Karen VA - forgot to say how happy I am that Olivia is coming off all machines. What joy! <3

WE HAVE HEAT! :drinker:

I managed 226 extra calories on the bike. Hooray! I was watching a favourite property programme on my tablet. :D

Katla - I also like sweet potato, but it's double the calories of butternut squash. I count 12 per raw oz for the squash and 25 for the sweet potato.

Lanette - When I'm counting calories from walking I use the estimate from MFP. They give different estimates for different speeds of walking. So if I was walking at 3 miles per hour, your walk would take 20 mins. I would look up "Walking 3 miles per hour" and enter the 20 minutes. Sometimes I guestimate. So if I have been ambling round the shops for hours I take an imaginary stroll in my head of where I've been at a slow 2 miles per hour and enter how long I think it would have taken at that speed. My own calories are done for me on my machines and for the strength training I use MFP and enter 20 minutes, which is 64 calories according to them. All activities are given with estimated calorie burn, though I do think gardening etc is very over optimistic. You would have to be digging an allotment.!!!

I also, because I have been doing this for so long, mostly enter my food under "Quick Add" . I weigh everything and I know all the values by heart, so it just saves time that way. My regular food, that is the same every day, like breakfast, cheese, dessert fruit, yoghurt, alcohol, is on my favourites, but lunch, snack and dinner not. I sometimes write it down and add it up if it's a long recipe. It works for me as I don't count macros. I just follow a lower carb, healthy diet. Lots of veg. :D

Doesn't Bea look happy pushing her bee! :laugh: She's only been standing up a week or so! I'm hoping she will slim down a bit now she's moving. :D<3

LoveHeather UK xxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,236 Member
    Options
    Lanette - Hope you can see my answer to your question above your latest post. Sometimes when we post at the same time we miss one. <3
    Your breakfast looks great, but my personal fad is I don't like sweet (fruit) with savoury. Loving the rest of it though. :flowerforyou:

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,353 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Heather, yes I saw your answer just after posting this. Thank you - I have an older program called "Fit Day" which helps calculate calories per activity as well - yes, my 1 mile walk takes around 20 minutes, often less tho. I will start entering that into MFP and see how she goes.

I happened to have that orange around since I was zesting it - so added it for some "photo appeal" lol.

Sounds like the rain is backing off a bit so will prepare for my next puddle-jump.

Lanette
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,715 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    well 4 rounds of shoveling the deck and making a path for the dogs, cleaning off my car, rearranging cabinets, making Tom a big breakfast . now sitting for a bit.. Tom and the dogs napping.. he did go out and snow blow.. It is freezing rain now yuck...
  • grogers511
    Options
    This morning for breakfast:
    • oatmeal (1/3.c dry) cooked with 2/3c water
    • 1 Tbsp butter
    • 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
    • 1/4c blueberries (fresh frozen)
    • 1 patty - Jimmy Dean turkey sausage

Calories: 312
    Fiber: 8g
    Carbs: 25g
    Fat: 20g
    Protein: 11g

My daily goals:
    • fiber: 30g
    • carbs: 75g Max, 25g/meal limit

First time in a while - to get up earlier and make myself breakfast.

--Ginger