So I have this MFP friend...

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Clearly MFP is divided into two camps. The Right Side, and the Wrong side.

All you Wrongers are heathens.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    The beautiful simplicity that is a grilled cheese sandwich, should not be sullied by other ingredients. I'm sure they are nice sandwiches, but you have to call them something else. I will not stand by as you pervert the good name of Grilled Cheese with your Ingredients of Evil.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Hey now. They're entitled to their opinions.

Even if their opinions are completely wrong and disgusting.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Caramelized onions go well with it too.

Gruyere cheese with caramelized onions is amazing...

Tomato can go well with grilled cheese but usually because it is cooked rather than raw and just bunged on the sandwich as an afterthought - something like a caprese or roasted tomatoes and sliced olives with mozzarella.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Best grilled cheese sandwich - sharp cheddar, tomatoes and grilled onions on rye bread (though sourdough is also excellent). Served with tomato soup on the side for dippin'.

You are right, whierd. Your friend is wrong.

add some Prosciutto and I'm in heaven!!!
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Mine usually have mozzarella and tomatoes and basil that have been marinated in balsamic vinegar. My grilled cheese sandwiches kick average grilled cheese sandwich *kitten*!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    Sure, just call it a grilled cheese, why not just throw all the rules out the window.

friendlys-Grilled-Cheese-BurgerMelt.jpg

Cheese bread, side bowl of tomato soup. Just end it there.

Change thaorange crap to Swiss, and I am in heaven.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I used to go to this irish pub that served grilled cheese with irish sharp cheddar tomatoes and carmelized onions with cajun fries. Truly the bomb for comfort food. the last time I had a cat die on me that's the comfort food I went for.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    No tomato on grilled cheese. Dipping in ketchup is okay, but putting ACTUAL tomato on a grilled cheese is an abomination.

I agree, although a grilled tomato sandwich with cheese is delicious.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Caramelized onions go well with it too.

Gruyere cheese with caramelized onions is amazing...

Tomato can go well with grilled cheese but usually because it is cooked rather than raw and just bunged on the sandwich as an afterthought - something like a caprese or roasted tomatoes and sliced olives with mozzarella.

I only do raw tomato. It heats up nicely during the grilling process, just slice them thin. :)
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    The beautiful simplicity that is a grilled cheese sandwich, should not be sullied by other ingredients. I'm sure they are nice sandwiches, but you have to call them something else. I will not stand by as you pervert the good name of Grilled Cheese with your Ingredients of Evil.

Hear Hear! Band together against evil abominations.

Wait. Is this a dvisive topic?
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    avocado egg grilled cheese is my favorite, but tomato and onion are awesome too

tumblr_mhajra04XX1qkd33ko1_500.jpg
  • RobTheGourmet
    RobTheGourmet Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    try a shallot reduction in white wine such as ( orvito classico or sauvignon blanc ) with shaved gruyere over pumpernickel

the shallot is a milder taste and will nearly dissolve into the wine reduction

^

Shallots > Onions
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Well, some people like cilantro too. They're wrong, of course, but I don't rub it in their faces or try to convert them.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Some of you have just made a very powerful enemy. A very powerful enemy, indeed. *narrows eyes to angry slits*

ETA - My avatar makes this threat less intimidating. UNTIL YOU REALISE THAT IT IS A TIGER!!!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Mine usually have mozzarella and tomatoes and basil that have been marinated in balsamic vinegar.

Tricolore sandwich? Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Do they dip it in ketchup or tomato soup? I thought that was pretty standard with grilled cheese.

Ketchup is where it's at (when it's a particularly greasy grill cheese, anyway).
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    No tomato on grilled cheese. Dipping in ketchup is okay, but putting ACTUAL tomato on a grilled cheese is an abomination.

I agree, although a grilled tomato sandwich with cheese is delicious.

Thanks! I was just about to point out, that unless the cheese is the only ingredient, protocol dictates that the sandwich is named by what other ingredients are involved.

Examples:
    A Ham sandwich with cheese.
    A cucumber sandwich with cream cheese
    A roast beef with Cheddar.
    A tomato sandwich with cheese.
    Onion sandwich with cheese.

Grilled Cheese is just cheese.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    My "grilled cheese"
    2 pieces sourdough
    some turkey
    some proscuittio
    1.5 pieces Muenster
    1.5 pieces smoked gouda
    2 pieces sharp cheddar
    half an avocado

It's hefty and fancy but it's better than anything you've put in your mouth.