Fitness and Nutrition Q & A

Options

Replies

• Iwanttolosemymummytummy
    Options
    JonDrees wrote: »
    I'm in the U.K and sedentry is not listed. I chose "not very active" thinking it would allow me less calorie intake? I think it's safe to say that I don't understand which setting I should have it on.

On MFP?

Yes. For activity settings it has - not very active - lightly active - active - and very active to choose from.

If you go on a lap top etc it says sedentary. The app says Not very active. They mean the same thing.

Thanks.

You are probably better off using a TDEE calculator like this one https://tdeecalculator.net/ and only using MFP for tracking your calories. MFP doesn't do the best with calculating how many calories you need, or how many calories you burn with exercise.

What makes you think mfp isn't very good at giving a calorie goal?

Because they are a generally too low for people. Perhaps, they assume people will forget to log some of the food they eat, so it will all balance out in the long run.

MFP just applies the same math you did. The person chooses the weight loss rate. 1 pound equals 3500 calories.

Please don't take my 73 calories away from me! I've only just got used to it.

:) You clearly are on track. Enjoy your massive increase ;)

Thank you.
  • charlenekemp07
    charlenekemp07 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm trying to loose weight. The areas that bother me most is my arms, stomach and back (love handles). I run 4 times a week and do mountain bike 1-2 times a week. Will this be enough to loose fat in all areas or should I do more? I also plank every other night, but it's still a struggle.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm trying to loose weight. The areas that bother me most is my arms, stomach and back (love handles). I run 4 times a week and do mountain bike 1-2 times a week. Will this be enough to loose fat in all areas or should I do more? I also plank every other night, but it's still a struggle.

weight loss comes from your calorie deficit - exercise is primarily for health and you cant spot reduce.

you may want to consider adding some more resistance/strength training though to help retain muscle as you lose weight.
  • annteja
    annteja Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Supplements question: I'm trying to loss weight and I'm eating healthy and excercise here and there. I'm taking B complecs, omega 3 and Msm (for the skin, hair). Is there something else I really should add just of an over all healthy lifestyles and not connected to weight loss?
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Options

It might seem counter-intuitive, but I think resistance training will do more for your fat loss than running. You might want to consider doing 2-3 days a week of resistance training and drop down the running to 2-3 days. Obviously, the diet will be the biggest factor in your fat loss, though.
  • JonDrees
    edited March 2017
    Options
    annteja wrote: »
    Supplements question: I'm trying to loss weight and I'm eating healthy and excercise here and there. I'm taking B complecs, omega 3 and Msm (for the skin, hair). Is there something else I really should add just of an over all healthy lifestyles and not connected to weight loss?

They won't do much for your weight loss, but these are the only supplements I generally recommend to healthy clients:

1. Whey protein
    2. Multi-vitamin
    3. Vitamin D (for us living up North)
    4. Fish oil
    5. Sometimes Vitamin C
    6. Sometimes Calcium
    7. Creatine for some

There is a lot of important vitamins and minerals to take in, but hopefully if you are eating decent, you will get most of those in your diet. Also, you probably don't need to be taking these every single day.

• annteja
    annteja Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @JonDress thank you :)
  • JonDrees
    Options
    annteja wrote: »
    @JonDress thank you :)

Welcome!
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    What is your opinion of my exercise routine? (My diary is open.)
  • JonDrees
    Options
    What is your opinion of my exercise routine? (My diary is open.)

I would definitely add in at least 2-3 days of resistance training. You also might want to consider adding in some higher intensity cardio to raise your heart rate a little - rowing, biking, swimming, etc.
  • Vladimirnapkin
    Vladimirnapkin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    What's an appropriate training plan structure for a 50km trail race with a marathon the following morning?

If you are doing some back-to-back long runs on the weekends (30+ miles over 2 days, which is typical 50 mile plus training) you'll find this race double to be pretty manageable, even fun in a twisted way.

Controlling the pace will be key to success. You'll feel terrible at the start of the second day, but after a few miles it will be alright. I've never "raced" a back to back, but I have certainly run this distance in building up for a 100 mile trail run. (The classic is 70 to 80 miles over a three day weekend. )
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I want to lose 5 pounds of fat and gain 5 pounds of muscle in 6 months. So at the end of 6 months, I want to weigh exactly what I do now but with improved body composition.

1. Is this possible with just a 125 calorie surplus and bodyweight training?
    2. If I eat in a 125 calorie surplus, won't I also gain fat along with muscle and then have to cut?
    3. I don't weigh my food at all; do you think this will be a hindrance to my success?
    4. What is the best way to measure my results?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    I have tight hamstrings. What is the best way to stretch before a run? I have been reading conflicting advice about how important it is to stretch before you run and others that say you shouldn't over stretch? I am pretty new to running and usually just walk briskly for 5 minutes before I run.
  • JonDrees
    Options
    What's an appropriate training plan structure for a 50km trail race with a marathon the following morning?

If you are doing some back-to-back long runs on the weekends (30+ miles over 2 days, which is typical 50 mile plus training) you'll find this race double to be pretty manageable, even fun in a twisted way.

Controlling the pace will be key to success. You'll feel terrible at the start of the second day, but after a few miles it will be alright. I've never "raced" a back to back, but I have certainly run this distance in building up for a 100 mile trail run. (The classic is 70 to 80 miles over a three day weekend. )

Thanks for chiming in with your expertise.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I have tight hamstrings. What is the best way to stretch before a run? I have been reading conflicting advice about how important it is to stretch before you run and others that say you shouldn't over stretch? I am pretty new to running and usually just walk briskly for 5 minutes before I run.

I never stretch before running, I walk as my warm up and then do a tonne of stretching afterwards.
  • JonDrees
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I want to lose 5 pounds of fat and gain 5 pounds of muscle in 6 months. So at the end of 6 months, I want to weigh exactly what I do now but with improved body composition.

1. Is this possible with just a 125 calorie surplus and bodyweight training?
    2. If I eat in a 125 calorie surplus, won't I also gain fat along with muscle and then have to cut?
    3. I don't weigh my food at all; do you think this will be a hindrance to my success?
    4. What is the best way to measure my results?

1 & 2. Well, theoretically, if you lose 5lb of fat and gain 5lb of muscle your body should burn more calories to support your increase consumption - not sure exactly what that number would be, but it could be around 125. In practice, 125 is such a small number that it would be impossible to be that accurate with your calories. For various reasons, you will never know exactly how many calories you are above your TDEE. Hopefully, you will be close and then use the mirror, measurements, and the scale to judge progress.

3. Yes, but most people don't. I don't see the use for a scale unless you need to be really precise for your sport or you have a really tough time estimating quantities.

4. Honestly, the mirror + tape measure. If you look better in the mirror, your measurements have improved, and you weigh what you want; you've won.
  • JonDrees
    edited March 2017
    Options

From my experience, only 1-5% of my adults have any actually shortness in their muscles, and none of them are female. Even if you do have some tightness, your hamstring crosses both your hip and knee joint, so there is very little actual lengthening that it goes through in normal movement.

My guess is your tightness is caused from weakness/lack of activation in one or more other muscle groups. Usually these are your glutes and core. I could go into more detail on this, but for the sake of brevity I will leave that out.

Before a run I would loosen the hamstrings with a foam roller. Then I would perform glute and core activation exercises. After your run, if you want, you can perform some static stretching of the muscle.

In the rare case you do have actual shortness of your hamstrings, I would still foam roll, but then follow it with a light warm up (could be as simple as a few jumping jacks), and then some static stretching for 1-2 minutes per leg.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options

From my experience, only 1-5% of my adults have any actually shortness in their muscles, and none of them are female. Even if you do have some tightness, your hamstring crosses both your hip and knee joint, so there is very little actual lengthening that it goes through in normal movement.

My guess is your tightness is caused from weakness/lack of activation in one or more other muscle groups. Usually these are your glutes and core. I could go into more detail on this, but for the sake of brevity I will leave that out.

Before a run I would loosen the hamstrings with a foam roller. Then I would perform glute and core activation exercises. After your run, if you want, you can perform some static stretching of the muscle.

In the rare case you do have actual shortness of your hamstrings, I would still foam roll, but then follow it with a light warm up (could be as simple as a few jumping jacks), and then some static stretching for 1-2 minutes per leg.

Thanks. That is very helpful.
  • JonDrees
    Options

Thanks. That is very helpful.

Welcome! Let me know if you have any other questions.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I don't like that your avatar is a different person everyday. Seems kind of shady