Fellow shorties needed for support and motivation 5'5 and under :)

Options

Replies

• MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    stelly76 wrote: »
    You guys are making me feel tall (I'm 5'4")! When I moved to Long Island in 2007 to move in with my now husband, I weighed 115 lbs. I was comfortable at that weight, but knew I could still be comfortable with even a few more pounds. Well, I got VERY comfortable and weighed almost 150 lbs less than a year later! I eventually went down to about 135 and hovered there for awhile. Last winter I gained 15 lbs and am trying to make my way down to the 130 mark. I think because I gained so much weight so quickly (both times), I feel very uncomfortable in my body. I'm aware that I will never hit 115 lbs, and I don't want to. I think 130 is a good compromise (enough to get rid of this stomach and extra fat pockets, but not back to being "skinny").

Why do you say you can never hit 115 lbs? I understand that you've stated you don't want to, but if you did, it is entirely possible. Just saying. :smile:

• MiamiSeoul
    MiamiSeoul Posts: 1,809 Member
    Options
    JenniYo wrote: »
    Hello all!
    5' even. I was 5'1 but I don't know what happened lol. Started at 150, lost 7 my first two weeks, back to 148. I seem to drop weight pretty fast, but also put it on fast. One bad day can ruin a month of hard work it seems.

Short people problems :(
  • tasha12004
    tasha12004 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    MiamiSeoul wrote: »
    JenniYo wrote: »
    Hello all!
    5' even. I was 5'1 but I don't know what happened lol. Started at 150, lost 7 my first two weeks, back to 148. I seem to drop weight pretty fast, but also put it on fast. One bad day can ruin a month of hard work it seems.

Short people problems :(

LOL yes. we want to be taller so we make sure we count the half :)
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Allgaun wrote: »
    I'm 5' 3" (almost, just a little under) I started here in January at 216, today I weighed in at 192.5. I've never been thin, but never thick either until I got an office job. Sitting all day really packs on pounds. I am going to get to the 140's, at least that is my plan. I have my calorie level set at 1200, sometimes I go over but I don't want to raise it because it's working for me and I know myself, if I was allowed 1350 I would still occasionally go over.

I think it's funny how we are all "and a half" or "almost" or "Just under" etc. Reminds me of kids "I'm 5 and a half"

I always tell people im 5ft 2 but im actually 5ft 1.8 i figure no one will notice the missing 0.2 of an inch lol
  • tasha12004
    Options
    So yesterday I made my cheat day because of movie night with my man. Had some chips and candy. Stepped on the scale and gained 4 pounds ...... pretty sure it's water weight from the excess salt intake but still. It's a set back :(
  • Megan91384
    Megan91384 Posts: 98 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Ugh. I hate when that happens too. The scale will go up 4 pounds for me when I eat Chinese food, even a small amount, but will go back down in 2 days or so. It's still frustrating though.
  • stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Allgaun wrote: »
    I'm 5' 3" (almost, just a little under) I started here in January at 216, today I weighed in at 192.5. I've never been thin, but never thick either until I got an office job. Sitting all day really packs on pounds. I am going to get to the 140's, at least that is my plan. I have my calorie level set at 1200, sometimes I go over but I don't want to raise it because it's working for me and I know myself, if I was allowed 1350 I would still occasionally go over.

I think it's funny how we are all "and a half" or "almost" or "Just under" etc. Reminds me of kids "I'm 5 and a half"

I used to say 5'4" and three quarters, but I think I'm shrinking as I get older!
  • tasha12004
    Options
    Megan91384 wrote: »
    Ugh. I hate when that happens too. The scale will go up 4 pounds for me when I eat Chinese food, even a small amount, but will go back down in 2 days or so. It's still frustrating though.

Yes, very frustrating.... like I didn't eat that many calories. Just salt and sugar.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm just under 5' (4' 11" 3/4) and have been successful in the past at losing more than 100lbs in 18 months at 1200 calories with a little exercise. I got married in 2012, the weight slowly started coming back on and now I'm sitting at around 185ish (I weigh again on Saturday morning). My goal is to be back around where I was when we got married, so about a size 8, around 130-135lbs, which is still heavy for me, but not outrageous. Right now I'm on MFP, sticking to about 1200 calories most days (the weekends can be difficult sometimes), use the recumbent bike at our apartment gym 5-7 days per week for 30-45 mins each time and walk whenever I can at work. I've only lost 9lbs since the end of January but a loss is the right direction. Will log my current weight on Saturday.
  • tasha12004
    Options
    Its not being taller that makes losing weight easier.

I keep seeing that on this forum, and kind of have to disagree.
    Sure, taller people also need more food to keep their bodies going. So hunger wise, they are not better off than shorties. But most of us didn't get overweight because of the normal food we eat. It's all the yummy extra snacks, or high calorie food choices that did the trick. And in that case, shorties are worse of. Why? Lets see an example.

Person A is tall, and to maintain, this person can eat 2500 calories a day.
    Person B is short, and to maintain this person has to eat 1500 calories a day.

Person A and B live together. They have a normal breakfast, lunch and dinner. Person B eats a 400 breakfast, 400 lunch and 600 dinner. That's 1400 calories. Person A, eats these things in smaller quanta ties because he/she is smaller, so lets say 300 breakfast, 300 lunch and 500 dinner. Person A ends up with 1100 calories. That's just main meals. Now, snacks. We all know snacks always fit in, as they are small, but densely packed with calories. Lets say that in the afternoon both person A and B eat a cookie: 200 calories. In the evening, they both drink two wine, and have some crisps: 400 calories. So both add 600 to their calories, giving person A 2000 calories, and person B 1700 calories. That means person A would still lose weight, while person B would slowly gain. This means that shorties do have to restrict more (especially on extras, as this example shows, they have a lot less wiggle room) than tall people.

This ^ :)
  • DreaRN15
    DreaRN15 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    tasha12004 wrote: »
    So yesterday I made my cheat day because of movie night with my man. Had some chips and candy. Stepped on the scale and gained 4 pounds ...... pretty sure it's water weight from the excess salt intake but still. It's a set back :(

The good thing is you know what to do to correct it! I haven't really had any sweets since I started my weight loss journey. So last night I had some strawberry cake that was OMG good and 1 chocolate covered strawberry. I was afraid it was going to negatively affect me, but when I got up this morning and weighed I had gone down. Whew!!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Its not being taller that makes losing weight easier.

I keep seeing that on this forum, and kind of have to disagree.
    Sure, taller people also need more food to keep their bodies going. So hunger wise, they are not better off than shorties. But most of us didn't get overweight because of the normal food we eat. It's all the yummy extra snacks, or high calorie food choices that did the trick. And in that case, shorties are worse of. Why? Lets see an example.

Person A is tall, and to maintain, this person can eat 2500 calories a day.
    Person B is short, and to maintain this person has to eat 1500 calories a day.

Person A and B live together. They have a normal breakfast, lunch and dinner. Person B eats a 400 breakfast, 400 lunch and 600 dinner. That's 1400 calories. Person A, eats these things in smaller quanta ties because he/she is smaller, so lets say 300 breakfast, 300 lunch and 500 dinner. Person A ends up with 1100 calories. That's just main meals. Now, snacks. We all know snacks always fit in, as they are small, but densely packed with calories. Lets say that in the afternoon both person A and B eat a cookie: 200 calories. In the evening, they both drink two wine, and have some crisps: 400 calories. So both add 600 to their calories, giving person A 2000 calories, and person B 1700 calories. That means person A would still lose weight, while person B would slowly gain. This means that shorties do have to restrict more (especially on extras, as this example shows, they have a lot less wiggle room) than tall people.

So person b does extra cardio to sort out a deficit that includes the food they want to eat

Unless person a is force feeding person b then its still person b's choice to eat more than they need
  • lovefriesam
    lovefriesam Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    5'1 here. You can add me. I've been here fora week but, I've been eating semi healthy for quite a while.
    Mt starting weight was 146 and I now weigh 126. I hope to be 116-118.
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Add me I'm 5 3, 23 and a mom of 2 :)
  • BrookeRunningMom
    BrookeRunningMom Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Never mind we are already friends hahaha,
  • WarriorPrincess67
    WarriorPrincess67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HI All- So glad for this conversation. I am just under 4'11 & just quit WW. I struggled to loose even a pound a week & could not justify the expense. It worked -sort of. But such a slow road. Hope is that with MFP I can keep more accurate logs with standard measures (aka calories) & have consult with Nutritionist pending. Send any daily calorie recommdations. And from what I am reading use "fun Sized folks" need to be more strict?? Booo. Fewer Cheat days, bummer.
  • tasha12004
    Options
    well I started my week off with a wake up call from mother nature yesterday.... ugh 2 days early. I was sick for 2 weeks now this. And every time I start my time of the month I gain about 5 pounds of pure water weight so this week isn't starting off very well.
  • tasha12004
    Options
    Yes, the inches are what matters but the scale is what your BMI depends on so I want that to go down as well.