Fellow shorties needed for support and motivation 5'5 and under :)

Options

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You're not a "shorty". You're a woman. 5'4" is about average for a woman, depending on where you come from, so you're actually a bit taller than average.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_average_human_height_worldwide

Advice which universally recommends very high net calorie goals and discounts the experience of people around your height isn't biased against "shorties" so much as it's male-centric (like so much fitness advice).

I'm 5'4" myself. My net goal is 1350 and my total calories usually come in between 1600-1800. I'm a curmudgeon who doesn't accept friend requests, but I wish you all the best on your journey!
  • Zara_Pi
    Zara_Pi Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    5"1 here. For years I thought I was 5"3 and the. When I started my journey a year ago I found out i was 5"1. Lol oh well I guess I shrunk a little. Anyway I was the biggest I have ever been when I started 2/16/16 at 304. Today I am at 248 and still going strong. My first goal is to get to 170. Then re-evaluate. According to health experts I should weigh, based on height, 98-105. To me that is too small. I'm thinking more like 130-140. Anyway, this has been a lifestyle change for me so I can make sure to never get as big as I was when starting. I wish all you fellow shorties good luck and anyone is welcome to add me.

Omg. Just measured my height after reading your post. I always thought I was 5 3, but turns out I'm 60", so 5ft?!!! I'm shocked.
  • Erotyka
    Erotyka Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    5'3 here - started 182 days ago at 224lbs, now 152lbs and keeping at it. The more I lose, the more I realise how tiny my bone structure actually is, so I don't know what exactly my goal is! Vegan, 23/1 intermittent faster. Feel free to add. :smile:
  • 007lt
    007lt Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    tasha12004 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm 5'2(and a half) it counts!! Anyways I'm 22 years old and a mom to a beautiful little 2 years old and trying to become more healthy. I have never been "skinny" . I have always since i remember been "curvy" . Everyone always says "oh your so big boned" or "your so thick" "you'll never be skinny". I want to prove everyone wrong and become "fit" not "skinny" . my starting weight was 181. I finally am now down to 166. I gained 6 pounds in water weight yesterday, and lost 2 so im at 170 until this excess water weight will go down. Us short girls have so much of a harder time loosing weight than taller girls do.

If any of you fellow shorties would like to add me for motivation and support that would be great. I'm at day#50 and i would never want to go back.

:)<3 #shortgirlsdoitbetter

Omg I am the same height and age as you with TWO little girls. I've always been curvy too never skinny but nice tummy hips and small waist, obviously after having the little ones its gone tits up Lool but I can say I've lost alot of weight buy eating healthy and it doesn't have to be NL boring food. Anyway latley I've got back on to the weight loss bandwagon and have already lost a good few pounds which is an achievement for me. I work out at home and take the girls for walks. You can do it trust me x
  • motivatedsister
    motivatedsister Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I'm another fellow shorty at 5"0. I started last year and don't really know what my highest was, but by the time I got on the scale it was 233. Yikes! I was super active with sports and stuff through high school and most of college, but somewhere down the line other stuff became more important than working out. I can't believe I let myself get this heavy, this coming from a girl who said she'd never see 150, and then in grad school when I hit 180 it was like ok well I'll never hit 200...lol such a total lie. I got down to I think about 194 last year but between the holidays and getting pregnant I gained some weight back.

I unfortunately had a miscarriage, but from being weighed at the doctor's office I had gone back to about 213. I'm currently at about 204 lbs (been about a month since miscarriage) and can't wait to see ONEderland again, and hopefully this time for good! I'm getting married next year so I have a little extra motivation. I just keep telling myself just focus on trying to lose 5 lbs each month, and by year's end I could be down 45 lbs.

Feel free to add me! I have a long way to go and could use all the help I can get.
  • tasha12004
    tasha12004 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    We can all meet our goals as long as we stick with the program
  • DreaRN15
    DreaRN15 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    So this may be a silly question but I'll ask anyway. I know there are people that talk about CICO for weight loss. How does that work if your daily cal count is say 1800? I know you don't necessarily have to take in 1800, but if you take in 16 of the 1800 how do you possibly burn that many calories in a day??
  • bpeters1989
    bpeters1989 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and 172 lbs currently. My goals are similar to you. I have a 5 year old girl and 4 year old boy. He's not in school yet so I'm staying home with him until August. Fairly new here but been on my weightloss journey close to a month now. Feel free to add me :)
  • Zara_Pi
    Zara_Pi Posts: 141 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    DreaRN15 wrote: »
    So this may be a silly question but I'll ask anyway. I know there are people that talk about CICO for weight loss. How does that work if your daily cal count is say 1800? I know you don't necessarily have to take in 1800, but if you take in 16 of the 1800 how do you possibly burn that many calories in a day??

A human body uses energy to stay alive. This is known as Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). This is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating. A smaller person has a smaller BMR than a larger person.

Since a person doesn't spend all day just existing, they will be using energy for their daily activities i.e. brushing their teeth, making dinner, having a shower, getting dressed.

So for me, I'm 5'1", and my body requires approx 1200 calories a day just to exist.

So if I eat 1200 calories a day, my calorie CICO will be 0. Then any daily actives plus any exercise will create a deficit.
  • JessMurphy7
    JessMurphy7 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    5'2 here and am just starting back today. I had a baby almost 3 weeks ago. Starting weight is 197 and for now, my goal is 160. When I was that weight I was a size 6 and felt great. I will readjust my goal when I hit that. Sending you a request
  • DreaRN15
    DreaRN15 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Zara_Pi wrote: »
    DreaRN15 wrote: »

A human body uses energy to stay alive. This is known as Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR). This is an estimate of how many calories you'd burn if you were to do nothing but rest for 24 hours. It represents the minimum amount of energy needed to keep your body functioning, including breathing and keeping your heart beating. A smaller person has a smaller BMR than a larger person.

Since a person doesn't spend all day just existing, they will be using energy for their daily activities i.e. brushing their teeth, making dinner, having a shower, getting dressed.

So for me, I'm 5'1", and my body requires approx 1200 calories a day just to exist.

So if I eat 1200 calories a day, my calorie CICO will be 0. Then any daily actives plus any exercise will create a deficit.

But how do you equate those everyday things into calories?
  • njabbasi
    njabbasi Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm 5'1 and 23 and have always been pretty good about eating right and being active so I've always been around 98-105 pounds. Over the last 3 years I've moved in with a boyfriend, gotten super lax about eating whatever tastes good, started a desk job while doing full time online school (aka not active at all) and add in high stress plus a very long period of VERY BAD VitD deficiency and I am now around 120!! I've decided to start my weight loss journey because I'm noticing more and more weight gain these last few weeks and like all my muscles are gone..I'm literally like bones with fat hanging on them! For the first time I have rolls of fat!! So I am determined to go back to my previous weight by next year and make healthy changes that I can stick with! I know it's going to be hard because i haven't worked out in years and being lazy + eating has been my stress reliever these past few years but I am ready to take on the challenge! I tend to get unmotivated easily though so I thought I'd surround myself with other motivated people(:
  • anadee2598
    anadee2598 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not super short but I meet the requirements at 5'5! I started at 143 with a goal of 115 and I am currently at 131, although this was before I went on vacay where I kind of relaxed on my diet!
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Jeniccm wrote: »
    I'm a little over 5'. Started in the 230s (good God!) and now 120. My goal was 125, but am continuing to lose as I feel I should. I saw 118 a couple times but keep bouncing up. I think I should weigh 105ish. Will know when I get there.

How'd I do it? Like someone else said, I also net 1000-1200 calories. Any more than that and I stall. When you're little and close to goal, there is no wiggle room for error, so I am pretty strict now and weigh / measure everything so I am as accurate as I can be.

Don't listen to others when it comes to your weight. As others have said: 5 pounds on me is awful whereas it may be barely noticeable on someone several inches taller. I haven't looked at the BMI chart in a while, but the range seems bizarre to me. I think for my height it's 99-127 lbs is "normal." Nearly 30 lbs? Anyway, you have to stop losing when it's right to you.

I'm working on being stricter and not getting set back on weekends - do you mind me asking what your average loss is when you stay strict?

It averages to a pound a week. About 3 wks ago I started lifting weights. I wasn't able to do any exercise until recently due to an injury. Since then my weight has not moved much, but my pants are literally falling down.
  • tasha12004
    Options
    How is your guys journey going? I have hit ANOTHER plateu.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I'm doing well! 8 lbs down from 152 to 144.4! I'm feeling good on 1200 ish give or take depending on if I'm extra hungry or not. At night if I need something sweet I eat frozen dark sweet cherries:) I ride my exercise bike and hr a day nearly everyday. I am determined to actually make it down to my goal this time!! Glad to have like minded people also working toward their goals to talk to!!
  • tasha12004
    Options
    How long has it taken you to loose the 8 pounds?
  • TxTiffani
    Options
    A little over a month...I'm sure it's some water weight. I did low carb and dropped from 152 to 146 at the first of the year and it creeped back up to 148 for a few weeks and I was so unsatisfied on lower cals and low carbs so I added carbs back in and didn't track anything for a week. Went back up to 152 for the whole week and decided to start back on mfp again about a month ago (loosely for a week or two before I really buckled down to daily tracking and exercise) dropped about a pound that first day or two and has been pretty steadily down since then:)
  • TxTiffani
    Options
    And I eat around 40-50ish% carbs now so pretty sure it's not all water weight like it was on low carb:) and I'm much happier on 1200 cals with a high percentage of carbs!
  • TxTiffani
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm 5'0 tho so I really have 30-40 lbs to lose still