Fellow shorties needed for support and motivation 5'5 and under :)

Options

Replies

• Scorpiio93
    Scorpiio93 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 5'2 and I started at my heaviest, 178lbs in June 2016. (I'm 23 btw) I'm currently 166lbs. It's been a slow and steady journey for me so far. I hit a block for a couple of months towards the end of last year, so I haven't been logging here as I've switched to slimming world to see if it would help and it has! Glad to be back on track now and I'm hoping the scales say 165lbs on Monday :)
  • DreaRN15
    DreaRN15 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    jsecret wrote: »
    5'3" my starting weight was 220.6, current weight is 197.... I set my goals 10 lbs at a time so current goal is to get under 190. Mom of 2 kids, 3 dogs, 2turtles, 1 snake, 1 cat, and 1 horse lol.

I do some weight lifting, set my calories at 1360, am on week 6 of C25K (from a complete non-runner), and have joined a running group that I *love* (Hash House Harriers).

10 lbs at a time is very smart, never considered that. And you are a busy mama!! Whew!!
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I'm a little over 5'. Started in the 230s (good God!) and now 120. My goal was 125, but am continuing to lose as I feel I should. I saw 118 a couple times but keep bouncing up. I think I should weigh 105ish. Will know when I get there.

How'd I do it? Like someone else said, I also net 1000-1200 calories. Any more than that and I stall. When you're little and close to goal, there is no wiggle room for error, so I am pretty strict now and weigh / measure everything so I am as accurate as I can be.

Don't listen to others when it comes to your weight. As others have said: 5 pounds on me is awful whereas it may be barely noticeable on someone several inches taller. I haven't looked at the BMI chart in a while, but the range seems bizarre to me. I think for my height it's 99-127 lbs is "normal." Nearly 30 lbs? Anyway, you have to stop losing when it's right to you.

Checking in for a moment: I just wanted to suggest, based on my limited experience, lifting weights if you can incorporate it into your routine. I've been doing it now for 4 wks: I can only do upper body bc of leg injuries -- so 20 minutes total. I really can't believe how my body is changing -- big result for what seems like little effort. And I'm 116.6 today; that's down 3.5 lbs in 10 days (!!) -- not normal for me at all, but I'll sure take it. I do no other exercise and still have the same amount of calories.
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When I exercised, I would instantly become ravenous, ate all my calories from exercise, daily allowance and more!
    I've reduced my calorie intake to 1200 and I find it easier to shed the pounds this way, rather than exercise. Maybe I'll add some lifting/cardio later on.

I also get very hungry if doing any strength building exercise, but cardio on my exercise bike doesn't seem to have the same effect. Maybe you could try different exercises if you were looking for something to do that wouldn't make you so hungry:) Or just focus on cals if exercise isn't on your radar. I just like creating a bigger deficit by including exercise:)

I was mainly doing aerobics at the time and I felt fantastic, except I was ravenous around food. It hindered my weightloss so I took a different route.
  • katsoslim
    katsoslim Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wait, wait, wait, wait... so 5'5 is considered short?? Lol. I have my 6'3 husband convinced that I'm the perfect height. I believe it, too.
  • LisaLogan9
    LisaLogan9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    5'1" here and a heavy 175. I got down to 160 back in December, but then ballooned back up to my current 175. Today, my little boy saw a photo of me when I was around 140 and he started crying and saying he wanted me back the way I used to be. I'm determined to lose this mess. But I don't know how really. I know if I cut out the sweets that will take some weight off, but then what after that? I can't eat vegetables all day. They don't fill me up at all. I guess if anyone has any suggestions on foods that helped them lose weight, I'm all ears.
  • kaylaament
    kaylaament Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi. Im 5ft3 and im currently at 140lbs. My goal is to drop about 20-ish lbs. It sounds like a lot, but it seems to be all located in my midsection.
  • tasha12004
    tasha12004 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Well if you truly do have 20 pounds of fat in your midsection then it would be considered visceral fat, which has many risks associated with it. Maybe you can post a picture, because sometimes what we see in the mirror others don't. And maybe you have some water weight in your midsection that is making you bloated and maybe making it seem bigger?
  • Jeniccm
    Jeniccm Posts: 44 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    LisaLogan9 wrote: »
    5'1" here and a heavy 175. I got down to 160 back in December, but then ballooned back up to my current 175. Today, my little boy saw a photo of me when I was around 140 and he started crying and saying he wanted me back the way I used to be. I'm determined to lose this mess. But I don't know how really. I know if I cut out the sweets that will take some weight off, but then what after that? I can't eat vegetables all day. They don't fill me up at all. I guess if anyone has any suggestions on foods that helped them lose weight, I'm all ears.

Some things I've found helpful:

-save sweets for special occasion or once a week dessert not an every day reward

-limit my snacking. I used to be a horrible bedtime eater and now I will have a protein shake and scoop of greens if I'm actually hungry (which I'm realizing was never real hunger, just habit)

-eat the foods I love - just keep within my calorie goal. When I tried to change up my entire way of eating to be "clean" and "healthy" it was so much more of a struggle because I would feel deprived and binge on the weekend which would undo all of my hard work during the week.

Having a Fitbit/Apple Watch to track has been very helpful as well - keeps me motivated and gives me more calories to eat when I'm working out.

I also use intermittent fasting. I don't eat start eating for the day until around noon unless I'm really hungry and then I will have something small like a couple of boiled eggs or a Vega all in one shake (personally I love shakes and smoothies but that's not for everyone). I eat lunch usually between 12-3 and then dinner between 5-6:30 and my protein shake if i need it around 8. Everyone is different but this way of eating is the most natural for me and keeps me in my groove :)

One more tip - I tend to eat a lot lower calories through the week so I can bank extra calories for the weekends when I like to go out for dinner or just eat more with my boyfriend
  • lakokoloko
    lakokoloko Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi! A little under 5'2 here! I have had success in the past doing running mainly and some home workouts, videos and such. I hate how the extra lbs settle on me, wish they would just vanish lol. When I started running I was at 150, I made it all the way to 129 before I got the flu during the holidays, 2015...when family is around...and cooking... ugh. I went through some personal issues around the beginning of 2016 and just became lazy and just never went back to running. Today, about a year later, is actually day 1 of running again for me, I have gained all the weight back plus some, so now I am starting at 159 lbs. ugghhh, but I know I can do it and I am praying hard that I can keep it going and make a lifetime commitment to becoming healthy. I would love to have more firneds on here to keep accountability up. :) Also to keep myself and you motivated.
  • tasha12004
    Options
    Everyone has setbacks. You can't focus on them otherwise it will drive you insane! Always move forward. I have found not weighing every single day has helped me a lot
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Im 5ft 2. Im not short im funsized!

I started out at 387lb and had gotten down to 198lb
    Im back up at 264lb right now after pregnancy, giving birth 15 weeks early and stress eating for 14 months

135lb is top of the healthy bmi catagory for me but 160 or below would be great
  • Becky_p1972
    Becky_p1972 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    4'11" here, a real shorty lol right now I am about 20lb over what I need to be to feel good. Need more shorties to add me lol
  • tasha12004
    Options
    Im 5ft 2. Im not short im funsized!

I started out at 387lb and had gotten down to 198lb
    Im back up at 264lb right now after pregnancy, giving birth 15 weeks early and stress eating for 14 months

135lb is top of the healthy bmi catagory for me but 160 or below would be great

Yes, what they consider healthy, and what you cnsider to feel good at are two different things. My best weight is between 140-150. I look healthy and fit not to skinny
  • DreaRN15
    DreaRN15 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    So I started doing PiYo today. Think this is going to be great for me. Getting more flexibility can't hurt either. How do you feel about working out at home??
  • tasha12004
    Options
    I honestly need to be at a place other than home to focus on the workout. Otherwise I get lazy
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, rowing machine and dumbbells at home. I cant get to the gym because of the care my son needs. I exercise at 4pm each day. My 11 year old sits with her brother watching. Hes calm cos he can see me and i have that chance to put in a solid effort