No meat to lose weight?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Hehe i warm up my dogs food in the microwave too.
    Yes, they love raw eggs, it's funny watching them trying to figure it out. Our Mastiff girl is soooo gentle, it's like she's terrified of breaking it lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I was a vegetarian for a while. I mostly did it to support my roommate who went vegetarian, but there was a moral component to it as well.

Ended up gaining weight.... Haha.

Now I eat meat, but I try not to have it be boneless, skinless etc. I eat meat off the bone and with the skin. I even save the bones and then make bone stock with them! Then I give the softened bones to my dog as a treat. I try to have as little waste of animal products as possible. I even eat organ meat. :D

I think that's how meat was intended to be consumed.

That was more of an answer than you asked for... but I'm very satisfied with this process.

off topic but cooked bones should NOT be given to dogs, especially poultry bones,those should never be given at all. cooked bones can splinter and cause damage and even kill a dog. PS what the person said above about the bones is correct. just didnt see the post before I commented
    See:
    Then I give the softened bones to my dog as a treat. I try to have as little waste of animal products as possible. I even eat organ meat. :D

@SierraFatToSkinny , this is completely off topic but please don't EVER feed cooked bones to your dog. Cooked bones splinter and are very dangerous to feed, regardless of the size of your dog or the bone.

I cook them until they're soft. (Which I mentioned in my original post.)

As in edible. It's very healthy and safe. I make my own dog food so my dog needs some marrow in her diet. She either gets them raw or after two days in the crockpot.

They're perfectly safe when they're soft.

They're soft enough YOU can eat them. :) They're essentially marrow bone treats.

If you have a dog you should try it! Just use a crockpot and cook them until you can tear apart a bone with your fingers. I usually do two days on low heat.

I then use the bone broth for soup bases.

sorry but Im not going to risk my dogs life either way. if you want to risk it, thats your decision.and just because I could safely eat them doesnt mean its safe for my dog. some foods that are safe for me to eat are toxic to my dogs. not worth a risk or unnecessary vet bills in my opinion.

... They're homemade dog treats.... The kibble you're feeding your dog is way worse for them than the softened bones.

It isn't a risk at all. It's nutrient dense and good for them. As long as the bones are either raw or cooked till soft.

My dog eats a 100% homemade diet and my vet not only knows, but approves. My girl has the glossiest fur in the dog park! ;)

I do the same with my dogs, but i mush up the bones with a fork to make sure there's no sharp bits,and i do usually find some..

Aint nothing wrong with raw bones, beef or chicken carcasses. I've fed my dogs a B.A.R.F type diet for close to 25 years, kibble is for emergencies only, and have never had one problem.

My dog almost always refuses to eat raw meat. :D It took forever for her to learn to like raw bones and skin. So I cook her meat for her. I even heat it up when I dish it up from out of the fridge.

Have you tried giving whole eggs to your dog? Mine likes them. She'll pierce a hole and then spend the next 15 minutes licking out the contents, then eat the shell!

Heh, I'm going to have to try that with my dog, he loves an egg cracked over his food but I've never given him one in the shell...
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    At the risk of catching all kinds of hell, I like raisins in cookies. :frowning:

Me too! What's an Oatmeal Raisin cookie without raisins?!

I make the oatmeal raisin cookies from Joy of Cooking, then in the last step add chocolate chips instead of raisins. I call them oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Much improved.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Sigh. I like raisins. I'm such an outcast.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,145 Member
    Options

Don't worry, there's a secret cadre of us.

Me, I secretly (?) think Oreos are disgusting non-food items made from dark-brown fiberboard and unflavored toothpaste. But I never mention that here.

Oh . . . oops.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Don't worry, there's a secret cadre of us.

Me, I secretly (?) think Oreos are disgusting non-food items made from dark-brown fiberboard and unflavored toothpaste. But I never mention that here.

Oh . . . oops.

I don't particularly like Oreos either. There's just no payoff for the calories. I'd much rather have warm, chewy oatmeal raisin cookies :)