I DO NOT WANT my cake and I DO NOT WANT to eat it too...

Options

Replies

• disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    The only reason people knew about her ED is because they went back and looked at her old posts. I just did the same when you mentioned that she had stated she had an ED in another thread. I only found one post in which she mentioned it and in that exact same post she mentioned being in therapy.

Problem with all forums I suppose. People can only comment on what they know and I imagine some just replied after seeing someone else mention her thread about having an ED but didn't actually see that thread for themselves.

Statements made in the OP made it sound like she has an eating disorder. People responded saying that she might have an eating disorder and she should think about seeing someone about it.

Turns out that she already is seeing someone about it, so the comments were spot on. The comments could have been avoided entirely if she mentioned that fact to begin with.

WHY in the hell should she mention that? She wanted advice on how to politely decline cake on her birthday, not on getting help for an ED that she's already getting help for. It's not appropriate for the question at hand.

Because it's relevant.

If you make a post about avoiding food, and make it sound like you have an eating disorder, you can expect people to comment on it and nudge you towards seeking help.

This is a more extreme example, but if someone put up a post asking how to make a couple of quick bucks for another hit of heroin, would you respond with "it's not appropriate for the question at hand" if someone responds with "you should check into rehab"?

Most people weren't nudging the OP to seek help, they were instructing her to "just eat the cake".

Even now when I re-read the original post all I get is that the OP wants to avoid sugar, fats, and over-processed ingredients. One could certainly argue whether there is any scientific basis for this especially if we're talking about once a year or so - but I really don't get how people get "eating disorder" from that. It sounds like the so-called "clean eating" that a lot of people try doing.

I'm still appalled at all the people insisting that someone should eat something they don't want to eat - (edit to add) ON THEIR BIRTHDAY no less!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    The only reason people knew about her ED is because they went back and looked at her old posts. I just did the same when you mentioned that she had stated she had an ED in another thread. I only found one post in which she mentioned it and in that exact same post she mentioned being in therapy.

Problem with all forums I suppose. People can only comment on what they know and I imagine some just replied after seeing someone else mention her thread about having an ED but didn't actually see that thread for themselves.

Statements made in the OP made it sound like she has an eating disorder. People responded saying that she might have an eating disorder and she should think about seeing someone about it.

Turns out that she already is seeing someone about it, so the comments were spot on. The comments could have been avoided entirely if she mentioned that fact to begin with.

WHY in the hell should she mention that? She wanted advice on how to politely decline cake on her birthday, not on getting help for an ED that she's already getting help for. It's not appropriate for the question at hand.

Because it's relevant.

If you make a post about avoiding food, and make it sound like you have an eating disorder, you can expect people to comment on it and nudge you towards seeking help.

This is a more extreme example, but if someone put up a post asking how to make a couple of quick bucks for another hit of heroin, would you respond with "it's not appropriate for the question at hand" if someone responds with "you should check into rehab"?

Most people weren't nudging the OP to seek help, they were instructing her to "just eat the cake".

Even now when I re-read the original post all I get is that the OP wants to avoid sugar, fats, and over-processed ingredients. One could certainly argue whether there is any scientific basis for this especially if we're talking about once a year or so - but I really don't get how people get "eating disorder" from that. It sounds like the so-called "clean eating" that a lot of people try doing.

I'm still appalled at all the people insisting that someone should eat something they don't want to eat - (edit to add) ON THEIR BIRTHDAY no less!

Me too. I too noticed quite a bunch insisting "eat the cake, it won't kill you". I too am puzzled that so many would push someone to eat something they simply don't want. For whatever reason I might not desire cake on my birthday, it's nobodys business to tell me "just eat it, fit it in your budget, work it off tomorrow".
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

It was totally appropriate. I didn't read any of her former posts and could instantly tell that there were deep food issues. Some of the comments were overly harsh, but she needed to hear that this was an ED issue, not a weightloss one. In that context, telling somebody to pretend to eat food or provide instruction on how to hide non-eating were pretty harmful and happened within the first 10 posts.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm not in the habit of enabling people with eating disorders.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

It was totally appropriate. I didn't read any of her former posts and could instantly tell that there were deep food issues. Some of the comments were overly harsh, but she needed to hear that this was an ED issue, not a weightloss one. In that context, telling somebody to pretend to eat food or provide instruction on how to hide non-eating were pretty harmful and happened within the first 10 posts.

It's mind-boggling to me that not wanting to eat a specific food is considered to be an ED.

What if this was a vegan wanting to ask about the best way to decline meat at a party? Vegans cut out whole food groups, and I'll bet you not a single person here would have the balls to tell a vegan they have an eating disorder. They'd tell them polite ways to decline meat, not this bullcrap I'm seeing in this thread.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    vegans cut out foods because of ethics (or because they are hippies :laugh:) not unwarranted fear of food.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    vegans cut out foods because of ethics (or because they are hippies :laugh:) not unwarranted fear of food.

So what? They're still cutting out whole groups of foods, and people jump all over the OP because she just doesn't want to eat cake.
  • jonnythan
    Options

So what? They're still cutting out whole groups of foods, and people jump all over the OP because she just doesn't want to eat cake.

Vegans, by and large, have actual rational reasons for avoiding foods. Whether I agree with those reasons is a separate issue.

The OP has no actual rational reason to avoid sugar, let alone fats (which are nutritionally essential). That's why what she has is considered an eating disorder and people get treatment for it. Veganism is not an eating disorder.

The OP HAS an eating disorder.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    You don't get addicted to sugar...

People who say that just don't have enough will power and are making excuses....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

Read the conclusion.

long read but very interesting.
    Dang! I just stocked my fridge with Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt, guess what the sweetner is....FRUCTOS!
    And I thought I was making a good choice because of the high protein and 0% fat. Grrrr!
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    A thread about cake, that is still going.....

keep-calm-because-the-cake-is-a-lie-5.png
  • jonnythan
    Options

People who say that just don't have enough will power and are making excuses....

Read the conclusion.

Dang! I just stocked my fridge with Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt, guess what the sweetner is....FRUCTOS!
    And I thought I was making a good choice because of the high protein and 0% fat. Grrrr!

Foods that are made "fat free" are almost never a good choice. They taste bad when fat is removed, and to make them taste better they generally add sugar. So they taste worse and are less filling.

Fat is good for you.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options

Read the conclusion.

Foods that are made "fat free" are almost never a good choice. They taste bad when fat is removed, and to make them taste better they generally add sugar. So they taste worse and are less filling.

Fat is good for you.

AMEN,, Since I started using half and half in my morning coffee instead of skim milk, I don't need any sweetener!

Also, yes, I have a problem with sugar.. call it addiction, call it lack of willpower, call me crazy I don't care, but I know that sweets and certain grains can send me into a feeding frenzy. Is it physical? Is it psychological? Beats me, but the truth is I don't HAVE the will power right now to control it so for ME it's better to avoid it all together. Once I get the weight down I'll worry about introducing moderation with certain foods until then, it's better for me to just avoid certain things
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    A thread about cake, that is still going.....

this is the cake thread that never eeeends, yes it goes on & on my frieeeend
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    "Umm...actually the new DSM-5 (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders put out by the American Psychiatric Association which gives the standard criteria for the classification of mental disorders) has removed Sex Addiction from its list of disorders. So yes, that logic is correct: there is no longer such a thing as "sex addiction". It is a compulsive behavior.

The DSM-5 does recognize 'gambling addiction' although not 'video game addiction' or 'religion addiction'--labeled as such. Those behaviors may fall under compulsive behaviors but compulsive behavior is NOT the same as an addiction."

The DSM is an evolving document. Whether something is officially included or not does not bestow reality to the diagnosis. Homosexuality used to be listed. Asperger's syndrome was just removed.

Reality is what is out there. Just about anything can become compulsive and unhealthy, including but not limited to exercise, eating, and posting on message boards. It's whatever lights up the pleasure centers in the brain, reinforcing the behavior. For me, that would definitely include cake.
  • disasterman
    Options
    Let me get this straight: jonnythan has decreed that if you avoid a specific food without a "rational" reason you have an eating disorder, is that right? And further, that there is no rational reason to avoid either sugar or fats (even as found in a store bought cake) becuase there are healthy fats and consuming fat is necessary. Is that right? So now I know when I'm at the party and people are pushing cake on me and I say "no thank you" but people keep pushing it and saying "are your sure?" and "how about just a little piece?" that these folks are truly just concerned for my health and worried because I've gone off the deep end into an irrational "fear" of sugar and fat . [Note: while I don't like cake much and I'm not sure what all is even in those store bought ones so I like to avoid them too, the truth is I'm saving my calories for another beer which is, in itself irrational because there is no scientific research that concludes that I should prefer beer over cake but I just do, I can't explain it. It can't be the alcohol content because some people prefer cake over beer and I would even prefer a non-alcholic beer over cake. Some people don't even like beer -beer isn't Paleo for one thing - which I find not only irrational but borders on insanity and, in my perfect world these people would be diangnosed with something]. But back to my cake pushing friends: they've taken the course or somehow or other learned the Secret of What is Rational for Everyone Everywhere and determined that because I'm refusing cake (which is good because a.) they like it b.) it has sugar c.) it has fat d.) it is traditional dammit) I'm not only irrational but have an eating disorder and I must be a non-conformist hippy too-better watch me. So they're trying to help. And because I don't like zucchini and I have no rational reason for not liking it at all this must confirm the eating disorder diagnosis - this is obvious to people? And who determines rationality? Is it jonnythan? Is there a manual or a website where we can check? Are the Paleo people who refuse to eat a single food that didn't exist before the Agricultural Revolution rational? And the medical professionals and organizations who advise limiting sugar? Part of the vast conspiracy?

-edit to fixt typo -
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Let me get this straight: jonnythan has decreed that if you avoid a specific food without a "rational" reason you have an eating disorder, is that right?

Nope.

Stopped reading there.
  • disasterman
    Options
    Let me get this straight: jonnythan has decreed that if you avoid a specific food without a "rational" reason you have an eating disorder, is that right?

Nope.

Stopped reading there.

Really? Because you wrote this:
    "Vegans, by and large, have actual rational reasons for avoiding foods. Whether I agree with those reasons is a separate issue.

The OP has no actual rational reason to avoid sugar, let alone fats (which are nutritionally essential). That's why what she has is considered an eating disorder and people get treatment for it.

So what do you actually mean?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Let me get this straight: jonnythan has decreed that if you avoid a specific food without a "rational" reason you have an eating disorder, is that right? And further, that there is no rational reason to avoid either sugar or fats (even as found in a store bought cake) becuase there are healthy fats and consuming fat is necessary. Is that right? So now I know when I'm at the party and people are pushing cake on me and I say "no thank you" but people keep pushing it and saying "are your sure?" and "how about just a little piece?" that these folks are truly just concerned for my health and worried because I've gone off the deep end into an irrational "fear" of sugar and fat . [Note: while I don't like cake much and I'm not sure what all is even in those store bought ones so I like to avoid them too, the truth is I'm saving my calories for another beer which is, in itself irrational because there is no scientific research that concludes that I should prefer beer over cake but I just do, I can't explain it. It can't be the alcohol content because some people prefer cake over beer and I would even prefer a non-alcholic beer over cake. Some people don't even like beer -beer isn't Paleo for one thing - which I find not only irrational but borders on insanity and, in my perfect world these people would be diangnosed with something]. But back to my cake pushing friends: they've taken the course or somehow or other learned the Secret of What is Rational for Everyone Everywhere and determined that because I'm refusing cake (which is good because a.) they like it b.) it has sugar c.) it has fat d.) it is traditional dammit) I'm not only irrational but have an eating disorder and I must be a non-conformist hippy too-better watch me. So they're trying to help. And because I don't like zucchini and I have no rational reason for not liking it at all this must confirm the eating disorder diagnosis - this is obvious to people? And who determines rationality? Is it jonnythan? Is there a manual or a website where we can check? Are the Paleo people who refuse to eat a single food that didn't exist before the Agricultural Revolution rational? And the medical professionals and organizations who advise limiting sugar? Part of the vast conspiracy?

-edit to fixt typo -

Really? Pretty sure, even without reading, that no one said having a taste preference for one thing over another is irrational, so there goes most of this argument. Pretty sure no one said refusing a piece of cake is irrational, either (and if anyone did, pretty sure it was humor). The reasons why you refuse might be irrational. Not refusing a piece of cake because you don't want to eat the fat and sugar in that piece (like you said, maybe you're saving it for later), but because you fear eating any fat or sugar in any food, ever.

ETA: Given that some fat is essential.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    ...[Note: while I don't like cake much and I'm not sure what all is even in those store bought ones so I like to avoid them too, the truth is I'm saving my calories for another beer which is, in itself irrational because there is no scientific research that concludes that I should prefer beer over cake but I just do, I can't explain it...

Yup, I made this ^^ point earlier in this thread too. I just so happen to not love cake all that much either. On MY birthday I'd prefer to have another cosmo or shot of sambucca. All this "oh just have the cake, it won't kill you" and "eating disorder" stuff is weird IMO. For whatever reason a person says "no thank you" about their very own body, they should be respected.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Nope.

Stopped reading there.

Really? Because you wrote this:
    ____
    "Vegans, by and large, have actual rational reasons for avoiding foods. Whether I agree with those reasons is a separate issue.

The OP has no actual rational reason to avoid sugar, let alone fats (which are nutritionally essential). That's why what she has is considered an eating disorder and people get treatment for it."
    ____
    So what do you actually mean?

What he actually means is that the OP *has* a diagnosed disorder and the way she frames her relationship with food is symptomatic of it.

Have you ever been in a conversation where somebody is trying to frame normal drinking behavior as symptomatic of alcoholism? It's something like: "No, I don't *need* alcohol." "Yes, I'm going to drink again." "No, this doesn't indicate that I have an addiction." "Some drinking is normal." "I'm not just saying that because I'm addicted."

You can argue in circles all you want. Maybe you even believe that *any* drinking shows an addiction, I don't know. But, let me lay it out for you:

- Eating the foods you enjoy is healthy.
    - Not eating the foods you don't enjoy is healthy
    - Limiting the foods you enjoy to reasonable portions is healthy
    - Having an eating disorder where food becomes a major driver of what you do in life and causes issues with work/school/social activities/important relationships is not healthy