I DO NOT WANT my cake and I DO NOT WANT to eat it too...

Options

Replies

• BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Just have a piece! I promise it won't kill you.

agreed! Why not a tiny slice and figure it in?
    Is it a matter of unhealthy additives? Or a control issue over what you ingest?
    But I understand that sometimes you just can't even have a bite and stay in control of "self".

Personally, I'd rather have pie for my birthday! Then I would lose control for sure!
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Op what exactly do you think will happen if you eat, say, 1 slice of this cake?

Fear of food like this is the real tragedy of the scaremongering over certains foods/nutrients.

It's your birthday and you are with your family, enjoy yourself.

Doesn't necessarily mean "fear of food" ~ couldn't it just be OP doesn't like cake?

How would it be enjoyable to eat something you just do.not like? I'm thinking *for me* change cake to lima beans and your suggestion doesn't sound pleasant at all ;) What would happen if I ate lima beans is my mouth would say "yuk". So too could be for OP re: cake, no?
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Eat the damn cake!
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    For those who keep saying that a little bit won't hurt...for some people that sugar is as much of a drug as alcohol is for and alcoholic. One tiny taste is all it takes for a major bender.

I'm still working off the 10 lbs I gained after "just one bowl of ice cream". Alcohol? No problems...I can take it or leave it. But sugar and even white carbs will totally derange my metabolism and brain chemistry.

Refined sugar is a true drug for some people, and need to be treated that way. It's addicting and has a withdrawal syndrome. Since your sister-in-law cares enough about you to get a cake, she will care enough to respect your needs.

At family dinners, I generally remove myself from the table so I don't get too close to dessert (yes, I am weak, and this is what I have to do to be drug-free). I eat some fruit instead, or I eat extra veggies so I feel full by the time dessert rolls around.

I understand that this is a big deal for the O.P. Well-meaning relatives, friend and co-workers need to be informed of issues so as to support the O.P.'s goals. You don't offer alcohol to a recovering alcoholic, so why would you force sugar on someone who has a problem with it?
  • T_X_L
    T_X_L Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    OP, Here's what I'd do in your situation:

1) Make sure she's getting a NICE cake, size doesn't matter. Find a place you like that does nice cakes, hopefully not too far from your SIL. I know some people like the huge cheap cakes, no. Especially in N.A. , we've all gotten accustomed to "Costco sized" everything. Everyone should appreciate good quality, and if they don't, too bad.

2) Ensure it's YOUR favourite flavour. I don't think that's too much to ask, it is YOUR birthday. (BTW, happy b-day!) :drinker:

3) Work it into your macros for the day, and enjoy!

That's just me. I'm not "dieting", that implies a temporary situation, IMO. So to be sustainable for me at least, one has to work in the real world. Besides I WANT a piece every now and then! Cake too!
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Can I has your cake? I was under on fats and carbs last night.
    I was only under on carbs, but who in their right mind says no to cake on their birthday? Send it to me... I'll be appreciative.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I'd do one of two things, if I were you:

1) Tell her ahead of time that you're craving a particular type of cake or pie or dessert for your birthday (I personally always ask for a pumpkin pie, or an ice cream cake....both are absolutely worth the cals to me!)

or

2) Take a piece of the cake, and pick at it. Leave some of the icing, which has the most calories and sugar.

But honestly, I never turn down my own birthday cake. It's once a year!!!!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Here for cake.

PicJcStrawberryCake1.jpg
  • EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Can you just take one little bite?
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    For those who keep saying that a little bit won't hurt...for some people that sugar is as much of a drug as alcohol is for and alcoholic. One tiny taste is all it takes for a major bender.

I'm still working off the 10 lbs I gained after "just one bowl of ice cream". Alcohol? No problems...I can take it or leave it. But sugar and even white carbs will totally derange my metabolism and brain chemistry.

Refined sugar is a true drug for some people, and need to be treated that way. It's addicting and has a withdrawal syndrome. Since your sister-in-law cares enough about you to get a cake, she will care enough to respect your needs.

At family dinners, I generally remove myself from the table so I don't get too close to dessert (yes, I am weak, and this is what I have to do to be drug-free). I eat some fruit instead, or I eat extra veggies so I feel full by the time dessert rolls around.

I understand that this is a big deal for the O.P. Well-meaning relatives, friend and co-workers need to be informed of issues so as to support the O.P.'s goals. You don't offer alcohol to a recovering alcoholic, so why would you force sugar on someone who has a problem with it?

Yep, offering a piece of cake is JUST like offering a drink to an alcoholic.

Come to think of it, I have seen MANY people at my AA meetings who are there for sugar addiction...

*shakes head*
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Op what exactly do you think will happen if you eat, say, 1 slice of this cake?

Fear of food like this is the real tragedy of the scaremongering over certains foods/nutrients.

It's your birthday and you are with your family, enjoy yourself.

Doesn't necessarily mean "fear of food" ~ couldn't it just be OP doesn't like cake?

it seems pretty clear from the op that she won't eat it on the basis it is processed and therefore "unhealthy"
    i do not eat dessert/packaged or, in my view,
    'unhealthy'(sugar, fat and other 'questionable' food-like products)items.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    If you like and normally enjoy cake, eat it.
    If you just don't want the cake 'cuz you'd prefer not to have it/don't like it so much, politely ask her not to do that and suggest something more to your preferences.
    If you're just avoiding it because you have the mentality of "Halp, I haet prepackijd fewds cuz they made me fat!" yer doin' it wrong.
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on who you're talking to whether it's rude or not. If I told my parents that I didn't want a slice of cake that they had bought for me, they' be ok because they understand how important my health is to me, and they know I don't eat processed sugar and fat anymore.
    However it was my OH family, who don't really know me, they probably would be offended because they're uptight and take things very personally. I'd say, "Yes please, I'd love a slice, but I'm so stuffed from dinner, do you mind if I wrap it up and save it for later?"
    Next year i'd make sure to call before hand and politely ask them not to buy me a cake.
    If you knew she was going to by you one, this one's on you really, should have called her earlier!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Interestingly enough those same people still eat fruit and other carbs, therefore blowing a little hole in that theory
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    its a slice of cake, not a ticking time bomb... :explode: :wink:
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Wow, this probably why most of us got fat, are fat, were fat, gained weight, lost weight, gained it again, lost it again, or have f.cked up food issues because of this need to eat food so we don't hurt peoples feelings.

It would not be rude to speak to her BEFORE your party/b-day about the cake situation.

It would however be rude to make a big stink about it, out loud, in front of everyone RIGHT AS she's lighting the candles.

If the bday girl doesn't want cake she doesn't have to eat the effing cake.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hey we should trade families. Nobodys gotten me a cake in 5 years lol
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Yep, offering a piece of cake is JUST like offering a drink to an alcoholic.

Come to think of it, I have seen MANY people at my AA meetings who are there for sugar addiction...

*shakes head*

You have obviously never heard of Overeaters Anonymous. Yes it's real and yes I do go. Processed sugar to me is like crack. I can hardly bear to be around it.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Here is what you do...
    Take the cake with a smile on your face
    stare at her while you slowly walk
    towards the trash can pause with the plate over the trash can
    let you smile sink into a deep frown
    drop the cake in the trash can.
    This will both drive your point home and be so awkward that she will never again buy you a damn cake.
    This image is going to have me laughing all damn day!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This place never ceases to amaze me :drinker: