I DO NOT WANT my cake and I DO NOT WANT to eat it too...

Options

Replies

• adlace
    adlace Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a Dr. Seuss book! lol. the golden rule is not treat others how you would like to be treated. It is in truth, treat others how THEY would like to be treated. As since you are the THEY that someone wants to do something nice for, then you should not have to eat cake if you don't wanna.

Especially if you have avoided processed stuff for a long time and the reality is that the cake could make you sick. It's not always about food snobbery.

I had someone make me one of those poke cakes with red jello once. Thing is I am allergic to the red dye. She knew this, but just forgot and totally understood why I was not eating it after I reminded her. No one should have to suffer 24 hours straight of puking and pooping cause its "awkward" to say you can't have it. Let THEM eat cake.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/betty-crocker-super-moist-devils-food-cake-mix-prepared-82677598

Change to a whole package....that's 3496 calories.

Common knowledge is that it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound.

You could eat a whole f'ing Betty Croker Devils Food Cake and THAT would be enough to gain a pound this week.

Dayum, that sounds like it would be worth a pound.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You don't get addicted to sugar...

People who say that just don't have enough will power and are making excuses....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

Read the conclusion.

Did you even read it?
    This review summarizes evidence of sugar dependence in an animal model.

Could you tell me what a 12H fast in rats would translate to human time?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    ACG, no, the insulin rise from protein breakdown is relatively slow. The fiber in fruits makes a big difference in absorption of natural sugars, and our bodies are evolved to handle it. However, when you concentrate cane or beet juice and get the pure sucrose out that, the pancreas goes wild. It's not as bad when mixed with fat or protein, which slow the spike, but still, we can't handle this.

Carbs are not created equal.

Some people are more sensitive to this than others, and we become true addicts when it comes to refined sugars.

If you want to look at some cautionary tales, look up the Pima Indians of western North America, and what happened to them when they started on the European's diet. Diabetes is devastating them.

So it really isn't addiction to sugar then, correct? Sucrose from an apple is the same as sucrose from a packet of sugar

As for the Pima, I suggest you do a little more research on them besides what Taubes likes to highlight
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Just tell them, "sorry I'm orthorexic now."
    :drinker:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

People who say that just don't have enough will power and are making excuses....

Read the conclusion.

Read it yourself:

"whether or not it is a good idea to call this a “food addiction” in people is both a scientific and societal question that has yet to be answered."

This was a study about rats, not people.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

Read the conclusion.

Did you even read it?
    This review summarizes evidence of sugar dependence in an animal model.

Could you tell me what a 12H fast in rats would translate to human time?

People like that just want excuses, the animals were given huge amounts of sugar in comparison of other foods, you wouldn't get that in a general human diet.
  • g33kmommy
    g33kmommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    For my birthday this year, I made myself a watermelon cake which wound up being better than most cakes I've ever had!

I took a very ripe, sweet watermelon and cut the top and bottom off, set it up-right, carved off the rind (which didn't take long at all) and then used a tub of fat free cool whip to "frost" the watermelon. I decorated the top with fresh blueberries and kiwi's.

It was DELICIOUS.

So yea, I'll have my cake and eat it too :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How can cake go so wrong!! HOW!!!! WHAT HAS HAPPENED HERE!?
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Not reading any of what the others have said, NO. It is not rude and it is not insulting. Its about *you* on your birthday, not *her*.

I personally do not eat store-bought bakery cakes cuz they are just plain nasty.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/betty-crocker-super-moist-devils-food-cake-mix-prepared-82677598

Change to a whole package....that's 3496 calories.

Common knowledge is that it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound.

You could eat a whole f'ing Betty Croker Devils Food Cake and THAT would be enough to gain a pound this week.

Dayum, that sounds like it would be worth a pound.

I so want to do this now for the sake of just 1lb.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Cake made of cauliflower.

/thread
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Cake made of cauliflower.

/thread

awwwwwwwwwwww you beat me to it
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

Read the conclusion.

a) Review article was published in 2007, a lot more research has been done to date.

b) Research reviewed was done using ANIMALS. Animal brains not equal to human brains.

c) The article specifies excess and intermittent sugar intake. That is vastly different from people who eat one slice of cake every once in a while.

Quoted directly from the article: "The correspondence to some people with binge-eating disorder or bulimia is notable, but whether or not it is a good idea to call this a “food addiction” in people is both a scientific and societal question that has yet to be answered. What this review demonstrates is that rats with intermittent access to a sugar solution can show both a constellation of behaviors and parallel brain changes that are characteristic of rats that voluntarily self-administer addictive drugs. In conclusion, this is evidence that under some circumstances sugar can be addictive."

UNDER SOME CIRCUMSTANCES. And the whole statement "this is evidence..." right after "...question that has yet to be answered." is just another, more "academic" way of saying: "we've found equal arguments supporting both sides, but we still want our article to get published."

Nice try though!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You sound like a really fun person, OP.
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone through all the answers so sorry if it's already been said.

Either:

- Tell her in advance and maybe have fun making a fruit platter or something? Carve something out of a water melon! Get creative!

- Take a small piece and get on with it.

- Take a normal sized piece, and eat one mouthful, then get caught up in conversation and politely get rid of it.