I DO NOT WANT my cake and I DO NOT WANT to eat it too...

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    One piece of cake is not going to kill you, nor cause you to crash off what every crazy rail you are on into a hopless addiction where you end up behind baskin robins suckin some guys d!ck to get your next ice cream cone. you can have one small piece - take a regular pice cut it in half and eat it, saves you from hurting anyones feelings.

There is no such thing as a sugar addiction, there is lack of willpower towards sugar, there is a fondness toward sugar but no addiction.
    Not true, sugar can stimulate the same pleasure seeking nerves in the brain, anything that does that can become addictive. The same processes in the brain with drugs can happen with fatty sugary foods. It is hard wired in our dna so we want to seek calorie rich food. Not our body's fault we have such an abundance available at all times. It is what gave hunter and gathers ancestors the will to find the best juicest fruit. Any one who is prone to alcoholism is just as much in danger to food addiction. To say otherwise is a lack of knowledge of brain chemistry.

The terrible thing is that you believe this stuff.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Not even chocolate peanut butter cream cake coated in ganache and graham crumbs? :flowerforyou:

kwTNEeN.jpg?1
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    I think it's always okay to refuse food, just like it's always okay to refuse anything else that goes into your own body (like penises, for instance) and it's rude to force something into someone who doesn't want it.

That said, if I were the OP, I would confront my sister and explain that if she wants to get the cake so she and her kids and everyone else can enjoy it, I have no problem blowing out the candles but could I please have something different to eat as my dessert, and then I'd make a couple of suggestions. But then I have no problem with confrontation.

And yeah, I'm gluten-free, so I would not be eating the store-bought cake either unless it was GF. But then, I'd have warned my sister about that beforehand, and encouraged her to go ahead and get a cake for everybody else at the party. *shrug*
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It's easier to fix the ounce of weight gain from a slice of cake than it is to fix making a dozen people think you've got an eating disorder.

Just sayin.

why are you so bent about this "people will talk behind your back" nonsense?

seriously? I don't understand what's the big deal. People talk regardless. That's NOT the biggest issue here.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    One piece of cake is not going to kill you, nor cause you to crash off what every crazy rail you are on into a hopless addiction where you end up behind baskin robins suckin some guys d!ck to get your next ice cream cone. you can have one small piece - take a regular pice cut it in half and eat it, saves you from hurting anyones feelings.

There is no such thing as a sugar addiction, there is lack of willpower towards sugar, there is a fondness toward sugar but no addiction.
    Not true, sugar can stimulate the same pleasure seeking nerves in the brain, anything that does that can become addictive. The same processes in the brain with drugs can happen with fatty sugary foods. It is hard wired in our dna so we want to seek calorie rich food. Not our body's fault we have such an abundance available at all times. It is what gave hunter and gathers ancestors the will to find the best juicest fruit. Any one who is prone to alcoholism is just as much in danger to food addiction. To say otherwise is a lack of knowledge of brain chemistry.

Not according to my therapist. I went in and said I had a food addiction and was told straight out that it is not an addiction. I was an alcoholic. I have been sober just over 1 year, I was positive I was addicted to food as well - I love food. My love of food is not an addiction. It has never been an addiction, it was a complete excuse. I did not go into the DT's when I cut my food back, I still enjoy my sugar and all the food I always did - I cannot however and probably will not ever enjoy my favorite drinks ever again or I will continue the downward spiral that was my life with alcohol.

I can have 1 piece of cake and not end up spiraling out of control, and trust me I love cake and pie.

I have never and I doubt I will ever meet someone who has sucked a d!ck in a dirty alley so they can get their next piece of cake/pie/ blah blah blah.

To say food is an addiction is an excuse, does it give you a good feeling perhaps but that is not due to the hard wiring of your brain that is due to you allowing yourself to suppress your actual feelings with food. Food is not meant to replace emotional connections. My therapist has seen many people who say "I am a food addict" when in reality they like to use that as an excuse.

Can you abstain from eating sugars? if you want i don't care but to say you are addicted to it is completely 100% absurd and I will stand by my food additction is a lack of willpower.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    For my birthday this year, I made myself a watermelon cake which wound up being better than most cakes I've ever had!

I took a very ripe, sweet watermelon and cut the top and bottom off, set it up-right, carved off the rind (which didn't take long at all) and then used a tub of fat free cool whip to "frost" the watermelon. I decorated the top with fresh blueberries and kiwi's.

It was DELICIOUS.

So yea, I'll have my cake and eat it too :)

not. cake.
    You'll eat Cool Whip but not cake?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It's easier to fix the ounce of weight gain from a slice of cake than it is to fix making a dozen people think you've got an eating disorder.

Just sayin.

seriously? I don't understand what's the big deal. People talk regardless. That's NOT the biggest issue here.

Because it's true. You can't refuse your own birthday cake without people talking about it. Just won't happen.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I think it's always okay to refuse food, just like it's always okay to refuse anything else that goes into your own body (like penises, for instance) and it's rude to force something into someone who doesn't want it.

That said, if I were the OP, I would confront my sister and explain that if she wants to get the cake so she and her kids and everyone else can enjoy it, I have no problem blowing out the candles but could I please have something different to eat as my dessert, and then I'd make a couple of suggestions. But then I have no problem with confrontation.

And yeah, I'm gluten-free, so I would not be eating the store-bought cake either unless it was GF. But then, I'd have warned my sister about that beforehand, and encouraged her to go ahead and get a cake for everybody else at the party. *shrug*

Yeah but no peen at the party right? Amirite?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Just sayin.

Because it's true. You can't refuse your own birthday cake without people talking about it. Just won't happen.

soooo what.
    my point is SO FRACKING WHAT.

Seriously- if they are going to gossip about her not eating- guess what- that's just the flavor of the day- if it isn't that- they'll gossip about what she chose to wear to her party- or the color of her hair. You are WAY to concerned with what other people thing.

They all talk about me anyway- I'm highly visible- I wear bright pants- and I talk to lots of people. They think I"m a freak and I"m on the "shag if possible" list. It is what it is. I can't stop people from thinking things- or talking about me. That's all there is to it.

You are WAY to concerned and self conscious about what other people think. That's not validation or justification to NOT do something.

Do what you want for you. Always.
  • Chellody22
    Chellody22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think I'm gonna bake a cake today. Then have a huge slice with red velvet cake ice cream on the side. And it shall be glorious.

Not joking either. I'm inspired.

That sounds amazing, enjoy it!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Yeah but no peen at the party right? Amirite?

dontseehow_zps4feddaaf.gif
  • amandzor
    amandzor Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Work it in to your macros for the day. It -is- rude to refuse, since it is -your- birthday and she bought if for -you-.

When my birthday rolls around I plan on asking for cupcakes, that way i can limit myself to one, and already have it worked in to my calories/fats for the day. It just takes a little planning.
  • BrookeLee2
    BrookeLee2 Posts: 39
    Options
    Well, you can either take the cake and while no one's looking, dump it in a plant pot (or the trash, whatever). Or, just tell your sister you'd rather not have a store-bought cake.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    i'm not real big on regular cake. i'd much rather have ice cream cake. or a pie--preferably lemon or blueberry. ooh, or a brownie, chocolate not blonde, marbled is acceptable...i also really like pudding (but not a huge mousse fan.)....oh, i almost forgot fruit tarts. they are delic. i could eat the whole thing in one sitting...man this is making me hungry.......anyway, i made my family aware of my preferences & they either get an ice cream cake or a fruit tart, and everyone is happy with it.

Clearly i am not opposed to eating processed foods or sugar, so it was an easy fix for me. If, for whatever reason, I chose to avoid all sweets & processed foods then i would definitely let them know ahead of time. My family would probably make a fruit bowl or whatever i request. They are cool like that. If the overall consensus was that a lack of cake/ice cream/pie would be lame-o, I wouldn't be opposed to someone bring sweets so the other guests can enjoy it.

I feel lucky that my family would not try to make me eat eat something that i do not want to eat. That would really annoy me because i don't think it is anyone's biz what i eat but mine. So a large part of me feels like if someone doesn't like my choices, well they can suck it. I'm not going to eat something i don't want to....that being said, another part of me really doesn't want a conflict or to cause hurt feelings. So if she seems very upset that you will not eat a slice or if people there are really pressuring you to eat it, then i would probably accept a small sliver and take a bite or two. or accept it and say thank you, it looks delicious-i am too full right now but will save the slice for later. :smile:
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Not even chocolate peanut butter cream cake coated in ganache and graham crumbs? :flowerforyou:

kwTNEeN.jpg?1

I would NOT refuse this ^^ ;)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

kwTNEeN.jpg?1

Personally, I think it's rude to post this picture when most of us will not get to have a slice today.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

Just sayin.

There's an issue here? The OP doesn't have to eat anything she doesn't want to eat.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options

kwTNEeN.jpg?1

Omg!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options

kwTNEeN.jpg?1

I would. It's nothing personal, I just don't like peanut butter cakes.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If them talking about her not taking the piece of cake, it was a pretty poor party.

Someone always drinks to much and makes an eijit of themselves, so she is pretty safe.

Tell your SIL that you dont want cake or tell her an alternative, or tell her not to bring one at all, as you have sorted the food.