I DO NOT WANT my cake and I DO NOT WANT to eat it too...

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    You can tell her to send it to me. I do not label food, I eat it and figure out how to make it work.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

No, it's tall fruit salad . . . but it's still pretty.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

No, it's tall fruit salad . . . but it's still pretty.

Lol at tall fruit salad.

It is pretty, just not cake :wink:
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Can't you let yourself eat something yummy on your birthday??...

I know I could and plan to.

I just so happen to not find cake yummy enough, personally I'd rather have a 2nd helping of fried calamari or another cosmo. I'm puzzled by those who seem to think everyone finds cake yummy and push for others to feel the same.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    [/quote]I'll probably have forgotten all about it by then, so not me. Sometimes I need somebody to remind me, "Carly, not every song is about you." :laugh:
    [/quote]

oh but I'm shallow and have no life- so I need to make sure I mock as many people as possible.. makes me feel better about myself.

snicker.

[/quote]
    Lol at tall fruit salad.

It is pretty, just not cake wink[/quote]

it is what it is- and if she wants tall pretty fruit salad for her birthday- then LET HER HAVE IT!!! :D

Where did this whole "we must have cake for the birthday's thing come from anyway??"

I'd love to have a beautiful fruit salad and chocolate covered strawberries for berfday- sounds delicious.

or gelato cake > store cake nom nom nom
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Not even chocolate peanut butter cream cake coated in ganache and graham crumbs? :flowerforyou:

kwTNEeN.jpg?1

laker_fan_dudes.gif
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'd enthusiastically grab the first slice of cake, take one teeny bite and say I loved it, then walk away with my plate and leave it somewhere.

To the person who posted early in the thread that this is an anorexia-in-the-making strategy? Yeesh!! You got your tricks, baby...I got mine!!

This ^ is probably how I'd handle it too.

It was more the playing with it and pretending to eat it.

I don't necessarily think I need to clean my plate. I might eat half a cupcake if that's what I feel like doing. I don't, however, pretend to eat it. I would also suggest a cake alternative so that the issue didn't even come up.

Like ice cream? Cause to me birthdays are always cake and ice cream.

Chocolate covered strawberries! Yes, culturally, birthdays are cake and ice cream...so eat the cake. But if you have a real aversion to C&I, whatever your reason, it's not that hard to find a fun and festive alternative that everybody would love and think was original. You don't have to buy Hallmark cards for Valentine's Day either.
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Is it rude to refuse a piece of my own birthday cake?

My sister-in-law always purchases a store bought cake
    for my birthday. I do not eat dessert/packaged or, in my view,
    'unhealthy'(sugar, fat and other 'questionable' food-like products)items.

Will it be rude to refuse a piece? What can I say to her when I'm offered a
    piece?
    Thanks!!

yes, it will be rude to refuse. accept a slice and remove all the frosting. 1 piece of cake will not kill your entire diet.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Not even chocolate peanut butter cream cake coated in ganache and graham crumbs? :flowerforyou:

kwTNEeN.jpg?1

I would NOT refuse this ^^ ;)

I would. It's nothing personal, I just don't like peanut butter cakes.

Yup, I totally get your point. A few posts back I stated I would not eat a slice of coconut cake cause that is just yukky *to me*.

And that's why it doesn't make sense to me to read others say "just eat it" ~ even if we really don't like/want it? That makes no sense to me. IME saying "no thanks" is perfectly okay.

Exactly. If you don't like it, why would you let a friend go through all the trouble of getting this for you?
  • Mario_Az
    Mario_Az Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Don't cheat yourself treat yourself :)
  • littlebee26
    littlebee26 Posts: 116
    Options
    Just posted this over the weekend among me and my friends:

?Why are people afraid to turn down food? I've seen so many people discuss eating simply to be polite. I don't believe in this whatsoever. I have a right to control EVERY bit of food that goes into my mouth regardless of whose feelings it might hurt. Would you do drugs just to avoid hurting someone's feelings or just because some authority figure presented it to you? Heck, I turned down my own birthday cake at work this year. Is it really that you're trying to be polite, or is it an easy excuse? Or am I just a really nasty person with no regards for the feelings of others?"

If I'm mean and nasty, then I'm mean and nasty. If you're a family member, friend or co-worker YOU KNOW I'm trying to lose weight and busting my *kitten* to do so. If you STILL choose to buy me a cake - SORRY about your hurt feelings. You knew better.........

what she said
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Are you currently getting treated for an eating disorder? ( as per previous posts) if so I would discuss this with your therapist. IMO it would be good for you to have a slice of cake. No foods are unhealthy in moderation and you need fats and sugar as part of a balanced diet.

Are you people KIDDING me!!!?! This person is wondering how to politely decline cake, and all of a sudden she has a disorder? Come on people.... :noway:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Oh, the horror.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

I would be so disappointed to see this at a party, get cut a slice and find there's no cake in there :sad:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    lol this is one of my favorite threads of the day.

also, birthday tacos should NOT be left off the list of cake alternatives.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    I would certainly tell her ahead of time that you won't be eating cake, so that she's not expecting you to. If push comes to shove, you could always tell her you're trying to lose weight and have been doing well lately and you're afraid you might over-do it in secret later if you start 'cheat'-ing now.

Also, be certain to tell her you really appreciate her efforts and thank her for the thought, because that's what counts after all, init?
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Yup, it is rude. Unless you tell her in advance so that she doesn't go all out thinking she is pleasing you. Personally though, I'd choose my sister's feelings a gazillion times over a piece of cake. Especially a sister who would buy me birthday cakes. Happy birthday and be happy for the lovely family you have :)