I DO NOT WANT my cake and I DO NOT WANT to eat it too...

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Not reading any of what the others have said, NO. It is not rude and it is not insulting. Its about *you* on your birthday, not *her*.

I personally do not eat store-bought bakery cakes cuz they are just plain nasty.

That's nice to say and all, but the fact remains that it will be perceived as rude, and family and friends will likely be talking about it for all eternity.

OP will suddenly be the girl with the eating disorder. The crazy diet girl. Etc.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Highly rude. Your sister went out of her way to get you a cake.
    Tell her ahead of time for a different kind of cake, and get off your high horse for the sake of family. Its one day out of the year.

thumb_600.jpg?1333829358

Wow! Does that look good!

I have a hard time refusing cake, especially birthday cake! Would probably eat a small piece and savor every bite.

My husband ate a piece of coconut cake that my mother bought for him for his birthday. He HATES coconut, but he ate a small piece and somehow choked it down. It took him probably an hour to eat that piece and he politely declined any further pieces. That's how I knew that he really loved me and didn't want to hurt my mother's feelings.
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    Can I have the cake?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ETA: Oh I see we have sensitive people in attendance at this party. I'll retract.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Can I have the cake?

the_cake_is_a_lie_515.jpg
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    For my birthday this year, I made myself a watermelon cake which wound up being better than most cakes I've ever had!

I took a very ripe, sweet watermelon and cut the top and bottom off, set it up-right, carved off the rind (which didn't take long at all) and then used a tub of fat free cool whip to "frost" the watermelon. I decorated the top with fresh blueberries and kiwi's.

It was DELICIOUS.

So yea, I'll have my cake and eat it too :)

not. cake.
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Not reading any of what the others have said, NO. It is not rude and it is not insulting. Its about *you* on your birthday, not *her*.

I personally do not eat store-bought bakery cakes cuz they are just plain nasty.

No social interaction is EVER about one person. Not even the birthday girl.
    Trying to make it that way makes a person look like a petulant child.

But hey, if that's what you're going for....
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I maintain, it's never rude to refuse food. A simple no, thank you, is all you need to say.
  • framingsammie
    framingsammie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'd have a big slice of cake and enjoy it. In fact, for my birthday I did just that (probably had more than one slice to be honest) and didn't gain because it was just one day which I logged and then got back into exercise and eating better the next day...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    For my birthday this year, I made myself a watermelon cake which wound up being better than most cakes I've ever had!

I took a very ripe, sweet watermelon and cut the top and bottom off, set it up-right, carved off the rind (which didn't take long at all) and then used a tub of fat free cool whip to "frost" the watermelon. I decorated the top with fresh blueberries and kiwi's.

It was DELICIOUS.

not. cake.

I picture the top layer of watermelon "cake" sliding off the top layer because...whipped cream. IDK if this really happened.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It's easier to fix the ounce of weight gain from a slice of cake than it is to fix making a dozen people think you've got an eating disorder.

Just sayin.
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I get the OPs problem. My cousins and I use to drink together. Whether it be billards, darts, hanging at the house or road trip to the beach. Seems the sister is trying to maintain a memory. My family is the same way. I had an episode in 2012 at my daughters school where I got really dizzy and my blood pressure was all over the place. I was hospitalized and they found it wasn't a heart attack. I still get dizzy spells everyday. Usually when I eat something unhealthy. So I don't drink anything but water. To this day I am offered a drink, and I say no and I get a sad puppy dog face, but that's ok. They miss the old times and forget, and I politely decline. Your sister will be sad because she had expectations to re experience a good memory, but it is ok that happens. It happens all the time as people grow. With in a minute from the sad face it will be done with and she should be over it. Just be honest, don't shame the cake, and let everyone else enjoy it. I had plenty of cakes I didn't eat from but my mom knows I don't care for cake. Now that I'm older she takes me out for a steak instead of getting me a cake. Or brings me a cobbler or pie(mmmmm pecan π) You have something you like don't throw a hissy fit with the cake but explain, ahead of time if possible you don't like cake. After a few sad puppy dog faces she will probably start thinking of new things to bring, or taking you for a nice dinner. They always come around but only if your polite and honest about it. Say no, give why, and be done with it. Walking on egg shells never ends well, and neither does being abrasive. Meet the love back with honest love and you will get it back the best outcome possible for the two of you.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly..it's a slice of cake, it's not going to kill you! :noway:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Is it rude to refuse a piece of my own birthday cake?

My sister-in-law always purchases a store bought cake
    for my birthday. I do not eat dessert/packaged or, in my view,
    'unhealthy'(sugar, fat and other 'questionable' food-like products)items.

Will it be rude to refuse a piece? What can I say to her when I'm offered a
    piece?
    Thanks!!

Neither sugar or fat are unhealthy without context and dosage taken into consideration, so your logic is flawed

thank you for saying that- I can't believe I made it that far into the page before reading this.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

It was DELICIOUS.

not. cake.

:angry:

Agreed.

Now I want cake.
    Real cake.
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It's easier to fix the ounce of weight gain from a slice of cake than it is to fix making a dozen people think you've got an eating disorder.

Just sayin.

Why would people think it's an "eating disorder" to say no thanks to something? Honestly I don't like coconut, I seriously would not enjoy a slice of coconut cake. Should I choke it down to avoid people thinking I have an eating disorder?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Birthday cakes are traditionally rather large and more than one serving. This is because they are for everyone to celebrate the birth of someone special. If you don't want birthday cake, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't. Would you really deny all the guests in attendance who came a long way in your honor something they might be expecting and even looking forward to?

I'm pretty sure if you deny the cake in public or even ahead of time word will get out that you started a health kick and "got weird". Is that what you want for your birthday? A new title? "MY weird sister in law...."

2 options:

1) offer in advance to make the cake together and take a recipe for angel cake with fruit saying it's your fave combo, not that it's low fat. With some kind of sauce on the side like white chocolate or something.

2) let her make a regular cake and set aside 300 calories that day to enjoy a slice with everyone who was kind enough to take time out of their day and waste gas from their car and stifle family drama for one day to show up for you. Everyone makes nice at family events. It's the considerate thing to do. For the family.

34163386_1034.jpg

here's a warm up. cupcakes are frosted with cookie icing and taste like fillingless ding dongs. Cake is vanilla with vanilla frosting. Either is about 300 cals but you don't even have to eat the whole thing. Most people eat only the frosting, or leave all the frosting. Nobody cares. It's personal preference. It's a party!
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    One piece of cake is not going to kill you, nor cause you to crash off what every crazy rail you are on into a hopless addiction where you end up behind baskin robins suckin some guys d!ck to get your next ice cream cone. you can have one small piece - take a regular pice cut it in half and eat it, saves you from hurting anyones feelings.

There is no such thing as a sugar addiction, there is lack of willpower towards sugar, there is a fondness toward sugar but no addiction.
    Not true, sugar can stimulate the same pleasure seeking nerves in the brain, anything that does that can become addictive. The same processes in the brain with drugs can happen with fatty sugary foods. It is hard wired in our dna so we want to seek calorie rich food. Not our body's fault we have such an abundance available at all times. It is what gave hunter and gathers ancestors the will to find the best juicest fruit. Any one who is prone to alcoholism is just as much in danger to food addiction. To say otherwise is a lack of knowledge of brain chemistry.
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options

It was DELICIOUS.

not. cake.

lol

I don't see how the cool whip stayed in place on the watermelon. The 2 just don't cling together too well...
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

It was DELICIOUS.

That's fruit. We're talking about cake.