Egg fast

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I made a dairy-free frittata with three of them last night.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I don't know that I'd do it that frequently. Last year there were 2 times when i did a modified egg fast for 1-2 days that seemed to help me break out of a plateau for some reason (I eat keto anyway so it wasn't a giant departure). I personally wouldn't do it more than 1 or 2 days a month. (And no, I had no extra gas. Maybe since I wasn't also eating carbs? That seems to be what causes bloating/gas for me.)
  • nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I do think there's a smell to gas that I associate with eating lots and lots of eggs -- not really sure why, but I know what is being referred to, I think.

I don't personally eat eggs but I really don't like the smell of them cooking and someone told me it was becuase eggs contain sulfur.... so I imagine if you ate a lot of them and that sulfur got concentrated in your digestive system... That's all I can really say

• rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    are eggs jealous? do they hate to share the plate?

just kidding.

if you really like eggs, and you like these egg days, then keep it up. if you don't like eating nothing but eggs for two days a week, then stop. i see no other benefit to these egg days other than you really like eggs and you don't care to eat other foods!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I'm thinking the OP is a low carber. I've read of people doing the egg fast to speed up weight loss or break a plateau. I've never done it, so cant confirm what effect it has...

http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-diet-menu-plan-low-carb-keto.html

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Where do people even get all these ideas from?
  • debbiebondklein
    debbiebondklein Posts: 158 Member
    edited March 2017
    All I said Is I'm Eating eggs for five to six days to help with a stall and will also eat them two days a week on the other weeks . I'm on a low carb High fat diet and trying to get into ketosis.
    Thanks
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    People seem to be referencing gas from eating eggs. Is this really a wide spread thing? I have never had that happen to me from eating eggs. At any rate you may want to reconfigure this plan. Throw in a side of fruit and a vegetable and maybe a slice or two of bread and you will have a wonderful fast. ;)

Egg yolks contain a fair amount of sulfur which often gets expelled if it is too much for an individual. They don't produce excessive gas, just VERY noticeable gas.

SBD ftw
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited March 2017
    mkdkqbek4 wrote: »
    All I said Is I'm Eating eggs for five to six days to help with a stall and will also eat them two days a week on the other weeks . Just asking your opinion? I'm on a low carb High fat diet and tring to get into ketotis.
    Thanks

OP I have been ketogenic for over a year and never once in that time have I done an egg fast. These are not necessary to achieving ketosis- eating less than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day is. Honestly I can't think of anyone really successful in the low carb world who is a big proponent of egg/fat fasts.

My advice if it's your intention to live a ketogenic lifestyle (which is not in any way necessary to the process of weight loss) make sure you are tracking rigidly and eating whole foods within your carb allowance rather than torture yourself with eggs. Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    People seem to be referencing gas from eating eggs. Is this really a wide spread thing? I have never had that happen to me from eating eggs. At any rate you may want to reconfigure this plan. Throw in a side of fruit and a vegetable and maybe a slice or two of bread and you will have a wonderful fast. ;)

Egg yolks contain a fair amount of sulfur which often gets expelled if it is too much for an individual. They don't produce excessive gas, just VERY noticeable gas.

BTW: you can do this with one egg a day. Just get ostrich eggs. One egg is the equivalent of 22 chicken eggs. (The fun facts I learn having a zookeeper as a friend)

I did a tour of an ostrich farm one time. Afterwards the group shared an omelet made with an ostrich egg.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

BTW: you can do this with one egg a day. Just get ostrich eggs. One egg is the equivalent of 22 chicken eggs. (The fun facts I learn having a zookeeper as a friend)

I did a tour of an ostrich farm one time. Afterwards the group shared an omelet made with an ostrich egg.

Don't you need like a sledgehammer to crack one of those things open?
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    As much as I love eggs if I ate nothing but eggs for every meal I would throw up and never eat eggs again.
  • Ocean_Breezy
    Ocean_Breezy Posts: 55 Member
    I've tried it all. The best thing is to prep your food and use the app so that you can calculate your calories. I bought a small scale to weigh all of my food. I also store recipes because it's hard to be restrictive when the rest of the family is not. So I cook so that we can all eat and still maintain our calories.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member

I think that like anything else, if you eat them regularly you're less likely to get gas from them. Just like beans - eat them frequently for awhile and you can do so safely. Cabbage too. It's all about your gut bacteria's ability to deal with them, and it seems like they adapt pretty quickly.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    mkdkqbek4 wrote: »
    All I said Is I'm Eating eggs for five to six days to help with a stall and will also eat them two days a week on the other weeks . I'm on a low carb High fat diet and trying to get into ketosis.
    Thanks

And then what happens?
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    What's that egg fast? I never skip every morning a one egg its a good source of protein and healthy fats there's nothing bad to eat egg.