WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2017

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    :)<3Alison, Congrats to you on your brave decision. I stayed in a bad marriage a lot longer than I should have but when it was finally over, I knew that I had tried everything humanly (and divinely) possible to make it work. I left with no regrets, just sadness for the loss of the dreams I had about having a great marriage.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    Options
    Happy Easter, Happy Day Before Taxes are Due, Happy Spring to everyone!

Lisa, I wanted to mention - I was thrilled that you and Corey were able to get away and have that great "planning talk" about your future. So many things are falling into place for you with the new job. So neat to be able to work toward a wonderful goal like that - the stars will line up for you. :)

Heather, sorry to hear about your hips - hopefully that turmeric is doing the trick, please keep us posted. Mine "twang" now and then as well and my tummy cannot tolerate NSAIDs anymore.

Love all the baby pix, gals, keep them coming. Fun to see how quickly they grow!

Yesterday was a busy day around here.... and I kicked into high gear lugging buckets/bags of dirt around, rearranging the potting shed a bit. Got half the tomatoes "potted up" and will finish the rest when it warms up later this morning. It's supposed to reach near 70 today so all the plant babies will be very happy.

And, I managed to get in over 12,000 steps, haven't done that in a while. My knee was complaining a little but I told it to hush, it could be worse and put heat on it and it's feeling good.

OK, time to "walk the streets" on this chilly morning. Maybe I'll spy the Easter Bunny!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    ?
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Quick note before I forget...just watched last week's CBS Sunday Morning and a featured story was about the world's seed bank which is in Slavbad, Norway, home to our beloved Penny. I don't recall her mentioning it, although my memory fails me at times. There is a book, "Seeds on Ice" about it.

Chris in MA
  • pitegny
    pitegny Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Love all of the baby pictures. Every one of them is as cute as can be.

Lisa: What a great plan to make your dream come true.

Sharon: Finding deductions is the bane of my existence. My DH keeps muttering about why the really wealthy can find enough deductions to pay relatively little in the way of taxes, while the rest continue to be bled dry like turnips. I do our taxes and he seems to think I should be able to pull deductions out of the air. I just smile and remind him that the year we had an accountant do our French and US taxes, she charged us a ton of money, I did all the grunt work, and she did not find any more deductions than I do.

Chris in MA: Congratulations on reach the maintenance stage; those extra calories will no doubt taste really good!
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lenore: DD has put her phone into rice on her dad's advice. We didn't tell her about the sim card because we didn't know about it. I'll send her a message and let her know about it. Thanks! :smiley:

Heather: If watching the cricket game is not interesting, watching the crowd might be. The other possibility is taking along a book to read if things seem "slow." DH and I both take turmeric capsules. They seem to have a very positive impact. :flowerforyou:

Sharon in Alberta: Happy Easter back-atcha. :smiley:

Pamfgill: We have two sets of pots & pans. One set is stainless and we've had it for decades. The other is cast iron. We've had some of those pieces a long while, and have added to the collection by picking ups a few new pans and getting a few at the senior center thrift shop. We have a slow cooker, but prefer cast iron for cooking things slowly in most cases. We had a nasty experience with our old slow cooker and ended up with food poisoning. We replaced the old slow cooker but seldom use the new one. :noway: . I love the picture of you and your dad. :heart:

Margaret: Thank you for your prayers. I think the distinction between praying for someone and praying over them is an important one. Sometimes being told that a person is praying for me feels like a not very subtle form of criticism. :flowerforyou:

Allison: (((HUGS)))

Happy Easter for all who celebrate! Tax day is tomorrow and we turned ours in to the accountant weeks ago. He may be filing for extensions for many of his clients this year, including us, because he had too many clients who turned their stuff in later than they should have. :ohwell:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Quick note before I forget...just watched last week's CBS Sunday Morning and a featured story was about the world's seed bank which is in Slavbad, Norway, home to our beloved Penny. I don't recall her mentioning it, although my memory fails me at times. There is a book, "Seeds on Ice" about it.

Chris in MA

I'll have to see if I can find the program, but yes Penney had told us about the seed bank. I believe she even included a picture once. Thanks so much for sharing.

Janetr okc
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grogers511
    grogers511 Posts: 476 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Accountability Post
    Saturday's Progress (4/15)
    1. Carbs 50-75g (limit 25g/meal)
    (B21, L49, D26, BBS 23= 119g)
    ✔2. Fiber 30g (39g)
    ✔3. Track/complete entry daily
    4. Vegetables - big salad daily
    5. Exercise - log 30 Fitbit minutes, 2 miles, 5000 steps. And the elliptical 5 days a week.
    ✔6. No eating after 9pm.
    7. In bed by midnight.
    8. Declutter: Electronics, Craft Supplies, Pantry, ✔Fridge, Cooking and Baking, Dishes and Serving, ✔Linen Closet, Laundry Closet, ✔Medicine Cabinets, ✔Personal Care.
    9. Digital Detox. Track daily usage.

Digital Detox. UGH! Got some work to do. Might be time to lock these in the kSafe.
    • iPad usage: 157 minutes (2H 37M) and 5 pickups. Longest times: 5:44 for 54 min, 7:24 for 44 min, 11:05 for 54 min.
    • iPhone usage: 264 minutes (4H 24M) and 17 pickups. Longest times: 2:38pm for 61 min, 8:58pm 67 min.
    • Kindle usage: all night. 1:00am to 11:46am.

Using an app (Moment) to track actual usage. I may need a 12 Step Program.

Okay. FOCUS!

-- Ginger in Texas
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Heather: Thanks for the picture of the cricket stadium. It looks huge to me! I thought it would be more like a baseball field than it is. You look fabulous! :bigsmile:

Mary: I love the Maxine cartoon. I have had issues with putting things is a "safe place" and discovering that they were entirely safe from me. :grumble:

Ginger: Will you be able to find a local EDA (electronic devices anonymous) support group? :wink:

It is a quiet day here and I miss my kids and grandkids who are all far away from us and from one another.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,528 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    gym closed
    hm 2 brunch- 12.52min, 13.1amph, 170mhr, 2.8mi = 138c
    apple watch- 94c
    brunch 2 hm- 22.35min, 8.4amph 160mhr,3.1mi = 324c
    Apple Watch- 200c

total cal 462
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Hugs ladies. It's time! Getting out all my cleaning products, turning on some funky Jazz and cleaning! Maybe I will take pics after! (As evidence).... Have a great Easter!!!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Mia - Gorgeous! :flowerforyou: Glass is a passion of mine, along with ceramics. <3

Well, I have to say my roast chicken and veggies was ORGASMIC! :D Oooouuufff! Breathe out! It arrived on our tv trays a bit later than envisaged, but the fennel and parsnips sent me to heaven. Plus onion, sweet potato, carrots. B)

Lanette - I think you asked how I got my love for food. Long story, but it began in uni when I shared an apartment with a very good cook. I used to read Elizabeth David for bedtime reading. (A wonderful cookbook writer in the 50s, 60s) Then we moved to London and my brother in law, who we shared a house with, was a real foodie. This was in the early 70s. I learnt so much from him, including Indian cooking. He was personal friends with some excellent cooks. From then it was a personal passion, which was a major part of my life. A lot of reading, experimenting etc. Now I count myself lucky because I can eat deliciously while not busting the calories. :D I am very, very fussy about what I eat. No junk around here! :D

Happy Heather in Hampshire UK