Weight gain and loss is SIMPLE

Options
12346»

Replies

• mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options
    In terms of fat, 20% is a guideline, 25% is usually considered a max. Not to mention that it is a percentage. 20% is still a solid amount that will keep you healthy, and allow room for carbs - which give energy and fuel workouts, and protein which are for repairing and maintaining muslce mass.

20/40/40 has always been the basic guideline. As I say in the video, it's for beginners and if they can stick to it, they can start learning more in depth concepts.

As miss Lemetriab said - It is a lot easier for beginners to understand to "eat an excess or deficit of 500, and lift weights".

Thanks for your input though.

What's the logic behind your starting point? The normally accepted range for fat is 20-35%, with most experts/researchers labeling 20% as a "low fat" diet. A starting point should fall somewhere within the middle with the idea that people can adjust slightly up or down to see what works for them. More relevant to this discussion though is that a ratio of 20/40/40 (fat/carbs/protein) is no better or worse for weight gain/loss (or muscle building for that matter) than say 30/40/30. Heck at 25% protein I'm still getting more than enough protein to sufficiently fuel muscle growth.

I have edited the video.

40/40/20 can create extremes. I knew it wasn't perfect. The idea was to keep it simple. I now have a link to a macro calculator for keeping it simple still.

Folks in this thread, thank you for kind words but the 40/40/20 thing - though not entirely "wrong" or super dangerous.. just wont be as sufficient as the calculator.
  • dalildevil
    dalildevil Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    *dies laughin*...loved it

Get yer f@*!en fiber!!
  • beca74
    beca74 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Loved it! Anyone who looks like you clearly knows a thing or two about this stuff. Good job!
  • mud7urtle
    Options
    Loved it! Anyone who looks like you clearly knows a thing or two about this stuff. Good job!

Thank you very much but please remember that aesthetics does not always equal knowledge!

As a matter of fact, a couple guys in another nutrition forum who didn't look like much at all awared me on the fact why 40/40/20 isn't always a great guideline. Quick fix (the new link to bb.com macro calculator). However, 40/40/20 as mentioned before isn't going to be EXTREMELY dangerous in my opinion.
  • DreaMuffin
    DreaMuffin Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    totally gonna be hearing "get yer f*king fiber* in my head now when i look at my fiber intake for the day :laugh:

loved it! shared it! thanks for making it!!
  • mud7urtle
    Options
    totally gonna be hearing "get yer f*king fiber* in my head now when i look at my fiber intake for the day :laugh:

loved it! shared it! thanks for making it!!

Can't thank the people sharing enough, so thanks again
  • beca74
    beca74 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Question about my "f@#king fibre"...
    Can you take it in the powder form, like benefibre, or does it have to come from food to count?
    Thanks!
  • amritac1305
    amritac1305 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you are awesome.. I'm going to go lift weights.. maybe tmr.. or the weekend.. but ill do it!!
  • mud7urtle
    Options
    Question about my "f@#king fibre"...
    Can you take it in the powder form, like benefibre, or does it have to come from food to count?
    Thanks!

From my readings, most will always say you can never substitute the real thing - However... I do not see the harm in boosting your fiber count via supps to hit your daily goal (ie 28g fiber real food, 7g from powder, just an example.)

If you really want to make it easy.. buy fiber one cereal. If you want to minimize extra cals for this meal, try using light almond milk with it (very low cals/macros). Hope this helps man
  • CalvinLosingIt
    CalvinLosingIt Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Thank you very much but please remember that aesthetics does not always equal knowledge!

As a matter of fact, a couple guys in another nutrition forum who didn't look like much at all awared me on the fact why 40/40/20 isn't always a great guideline. Quick fix (the new link to bb.com macro calculator). However, 40/40/20 as mentioned before isn't going to be EXTREMELY dangerous in my opinion.

40/40/20 in my opinion isn't very dangerous, it all depends on ones goal. If you're a runner you probably want more carbs, if you want to build muscle you're protein intake will be more important. I find sticking to the 20% fat difficult so mine is set to 25% to each his own.

The link you suggested from bb uses a 45/35/20 ratio which isn't significantly different. I think 40/40/20 is an excellent starting point and as time passes you can adjust it to your needs. No ratio is perfect.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I understand muscle weighs more than fat.

1LB of muscle weighs the same as 1LB of fat bro

i love how people always make this reply to that comment, even though they know full well what the person means and that, interpreted correctly, they know the original statement has merit. It's kinda cute that whole "pretending I don't know what you mean in order to put you down" thing.
  • mud7urtle
    Options

40/40/20 in my opinion isn't very dangerous, it all depends on ones goal. If you're a runner you probably want more carbs, if you want to build muscle you're protein intake will be more important. I find sticking to the 20% fat difficult so mine is set to 25% to each his own.

The link you suggested from bb uses a 45/35/20 ratio which isn't significantly different. I think 40/40/20 is an excellent starting point and as time passes you can adjust it to your needs. No ratio is perfect.

Well the point that was brought up to me... is if a 180 lb male wants to bulk on 500 excess at 3250 cals with 40/40/20.. his protein intake would be 325g which is extremely unnecessary, espcially for the newbie that may be watching the video.

Put that same guy on 20/45/35.. and you got 285g.. not nearly as unnecessary ( though still probably excessive). The problem lies more in the new guy stressing to reach such a high goal, all while spending way more money then he needs too, etc.

20/45/35, at a calorie surplus or excess seems a little more consistent - contrary to some beliefs you can cut weight even when carbs are your most ingested macro.

ITS STILL not ANYWHERE near perfect.. and if anything, the safest best would prob be 25%f/40%c/35% protein. For a starting guideline.

My intentions were to keep everything super simple so people didnt stress, but if they are serious - they will look into a more optimal macro intake.
  • mud7urtle
    Options
    i love how people always make this reply to that comment, even though they know full well what the person means and that, interpreted correctly, they know the original statement has merit. It's kinda cute that whole "pretending I don't know what you mean in order to put you down" thing.

They know what they're doing..

on the opposite end of the spectrum.. I have actually tried to be helpful in a fitness group recently and was kicked out. A woman lost 11lbs in a week thinking it was an accomplishment and as everyone cheered her on I provided links as to why its dangerous.

Was branded a jerk.. eh.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    THANKS. What I believed in was becoming "untrue" in this day an age. I appreciate you doing that video. I have confidence in myself again that I can lose the remainder of my weight the way I have lost weight in the past - the way you said it in the video. I will never, never again say the words low carb diet or low fat diet or 3-day diet - nevermore! I'm back to basics baby!! ooo weee thanks again!
  • UNLESS19
    UNLESS19 Posts: 118
    Options
    omg i love this video. literally had me lmao. "Get your f***ing fiber!" Thanks!

Hahaha I have to admit, i LOVE this video :')
    great job and funny/random, fantastic!
    I will gat my fibre ok! Please don't hurt me D: haha ;)
    <3
  • winniethepooh751
    winniethepooh751 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That was adorable. I giggled all the way through it.
  • mud7urtle
    Options
    omg i love this video. literally had me lmao. "Get your f***ing fiber!" Thanks!

Hahaha I have to admit, i LOVE this video :')
    great job and funny/random, fantastic!
    I will gat my fibre ok! Please don't hurt me D: haha ;)
    <3

You better >:)

Haha thanks everyone for awesome feedback