Really?

Options
nicolepburgess91
nicolepburgess91 Posts: 82 Member
I came to this forum for support on my weight loss journey and I found a lot of that. But there are a few people on here that are very strong in their belief that they know everything and they talk down to you and manage to make you feel about 2 inches tall and dumb. I'm seriously considering removing MFP because I only use it for the support and community. But I can't even post on here without someone jumping in knowing everything and making me feel stupid for asking questions.
Is anyone else having this problem on this forum or is it just me?

Replies

• comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I experience this problem sometimes - in my context, I'm not always supported here, and am vehemently argued against, because sometimes I'm being silly, or people honestly disagree (and sometimes I think the other person is rude, but supporting me has nothing to do with that). That's very healthy, and I think it's unhealthy to shield oneself from.

Without any context (ie. the thread/replies in question) it's impossible to see/clarify where the problem is. Because what you described and the way you described it might, but doesn't necessarily, sound like anyone was really being rude or mean at all.

I'm not saying nobody was being rude to you; just that vague accusations of "know-it-alls" and people being unsupportive are just so frequently co-opted by the very worst and most abusive actors on this forum whose real problem is expecting to shoot their mouth off however they like without being contradicted, so that stuff just kinda raises a red flag and puts regulars on the defensive without exposing any bad behaviour.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I've seen it too OP,just some "know it all's" but there's more helpful people than negative ones,it benefits you to stay so just ignore the know it alls and focus on the progress you'll make
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

It's always the people who claim others are being mean who are the first to throw insults around on these types of threads. Always. One day maybe I'll understand why.

Dismissing people as "know it all" etc. is too often a huge red flag for fragile narcissism, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a false positive, or that the OP didn't really experience bad behaviour from someone else. Going by the info in this thread we simply have no way to tell.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

It's always the people who claim others are being mean who are the first to throw insults around on these types of threads. Always. One day maybe I'll understand why.

Dismissing people as "know it all" etc. is too often a huge red flag for fragile narcissism, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a false positive, or that the OP didn't really experience bad behaviour from someone else. Going by the info in this thread we simply have no way to tell.

I assumed it was the thread where she advised a male losing 4 pounds a week not to eat more, but you're right that we don't have enough information.