Really?

Options

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Wow! I stopped reading this forum about half way through! If you felt bad when you wrote this post, I know you felt horrible when you finished reading the responses (if you finished). Some of you acted like lions waiting on some poor little lamb to bleat so you could pounce! And, don't worry, I'm not coming back to read your responses to this! I can feel bad all by myself; I don't need your help!

I'm sorry you feel that way! I think you are missing out!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    There are a few around that aren't as supportive of others but, for the most part this is a good community with a lot of support. The only other similar app to this that I have found is MyPlate. There, unless you are low carb you will be shot down in flames because you eat a banana.
    I looked but couldn't find the community. Would mind linking me? Just for fun!

http://www.livestrong.com/conversations/

Have fun
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yup, had it happen recently. I follow a ketogenic way of life and had the pleasure of a person ridiculing me. I basically don't post anything about my way of life now. That I've lost 42kg and followed this way of eating for many years and been successful doesn't count with some people. Seems that everyone is an expert, however it all boils down to 'what works for you'. We're not all the same and there are people who should show both respect and tolerance.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

Not to mention that "snowflake" not only is a politically derogatory term, it is also a racially derogatory term in the vein of "cracker" or "honky" and offensive.

Can you explain how it is "racially derogatory", I've never ever encountered it's use as such.

I've seen it aptly used across socioeconomic classes and political affiliations. I'd say it's derogatory about the character of the target, that's it.

I would think it is obvious. I serve on a few diversity & inclusion committees, and I've also lived in several predominantly black and Hispanic neighborhoods in NYC, MI, and OH and I can assure that it a racially derogatory term for a white person.

I've only heard it used to describe a particular group of 'social justice warriors', usually college students. No racial component and frequently used by whites. Thanks for sharing your exposure.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if you want to venture onto the internet you need have a thick skin. People are often quite a lot braver, blunt and tend to turn into their alter ego when sitting behind their computer screen.

When i first joined the forum, I gasped at some the attitudes and replies, but now a few years later i usually chuckle, eye roll and move on. Some of the "know it alls" really do give out good solid advice, even if their bedside manner and patience/tolerance is low.

...And yes, it does get tiresome answering the same questions day in day out, hence why i rarely click on them anymore. Because to be perfectly blunt, unless you're one of my kids I'm honestly not going to be passionately invested in what you eat or don't eat, and I am certainly not going to reply to a thread and parrot the 100 replies before me, this annoys me more than anything else.

Lastly, do not let a random bunch of internet strangers upset you or get under your skin. Don't let words on a screen written by someone you will never meet bother you, being overly sensitive can be a massive road block to learning. Shutting down and having a baby fit because you (general you) don't like someones tone, will just be a hindrance in the long run.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    There are a few around that aren't as supportive of others but, for the most part this is a good community with a lot of support. The only other similar app to this that I have found is MyPlate. There, unless you are low carb you will be shot down in flames because you eat a banana.
    I looked but couldn't find the community. Would mind linking me? Just for fun!

oooh, fun! Tell us your user name there so we can follow >:)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I eat Keto and I get attacked all the time. I've even had inboxes from carb lovers telling me that Keto is stupid and restrictive and has no benefit whatsoever and I'm stupid and naïve for telling people that it works. And I'd just like to point out that there are some "dieticians" and "personal trainers" on here that don't know everything. But they still try to bully people into subscribing to their point of view. I would say that my 4+ years of eating Keto, plus all of the research I've done qualify me at least as much as them to share my opinion and experience.

The thing to remember is that it's just strangers on the internet. The internet brings out the worst in people and many behave in a way that they wouldn't have the guts to in real life. That is their failing, not yours. Plus a bit of healthy debate is a good thing, even if they're wrong. I put it down to being hangry all the time due to their high carb diets.

The irony of complaining about being 'attacked', and then taking a swipe.

Yup, this.

• mph323
    Options
    Addressing the actual thread topic: I post dumb things all the time, and people correct me all the time. Occasionally someone's trolly or blatantly rude but that's by far the exception. The trick is to disengage from the conversation - IRL one would walk away from a conversation with someone who was rude, and whatever they said after that would be out of sight, out of mind. I learned that there's no need to respond to a comment I think is out of line, and to hit the ignore button if it becomes clear the poster isn't willing to let it go.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Am i hallucinating or did this thread start off in the general section??
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I had never heard the word "snowflake" used as a racial insult, so I did some googling. I'm not going to go into detail, but it seems it's important to say "special snowflake" as leaving off the special part can take on a different meaning. So I learned something today - Thank you MFP :drinker:
  • mph323
    Options

Oh thank God, I thought I was losing my mind :o
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Ack! Look at that. I guess it was civil enough not to nuke, but not about Diet & Weightloss so they kicked it over here. That's why everyone's a little tipsy and the music is louder :lol:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Oh thank God, I thought I was losing my mind :o

Me too! I was wondering what sneaky mfp gremlin pulled me in to THIS section where i normally do not venture into :open_mouth:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    My reputation is now tarnished :tongue: