My parents are obsessed with trying to stop my weight loss

Options
1234568»

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Why is it worth focusing on that one thing only when I can do both though because I need to have less fat % and more muscles and weigh less to? I don't understand why I can't do all of those things at once and why people comment that I do just the fat % one instead even though the picture of two people someone put I am not like the first one I am to fat so even with more less fat % I won't be like the other one without being lighter because I have got a small frame body??

You are wondering why people keep keying in on your comments and are concerned.... it's because of things like what I bolded above. You say that you can't look like the picture that everyone is using to demonstrate he difference between a higher weight lower body fat percentage and just a lower scale weight, because you are too fat. This is a red flag in my mind.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Why is it worth focusing on that one thing only when I can do both though because I need to have less fat % and more muscles and weigh less to? I don't understand why I can't do all of those things at once and why people comment that I do just the fat % one instead even though the picture of two people someone put I am not like the first one I am to fat so even with more less fat % I won't be like the other one without being lighter because I have got a small frame body??

You are wondering why people keep keying in on your comments and are concerned.... it's because of things like what I bolded above. You say that you can't look like the picture that everyone is using to demonstrate he difference between a higher weight lower body fat percentage and just a lower scale weight, because you are too fat. This is a red flag in my mind.

You going to call her parents?
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    karahm78 wrote: »
    She mentions having a Korean birth mother, very possible that she has a petite frame and being on the lower end of the healthy range is appropriate for her. From what I have seen and read I don't see the reason why we should assume she has an eating disorder??

No one is assuming anything. The thread started with OP saying her parents are concerned. I'm tying to ascertain why they might be concerned and probing OP about her goals, while her goal itself might be a healthy one, some of the comments she makes are subtle warning signs.

There are countless people who come on these boards in the throes of an eating disorder. There are also countless others, young women and young men, who are just beginning to exhibit signs of disordered thinking about food, weight loss, and their bodies. It is a very slippery slope. Posters like these are often good about providing answers that sound like they are doing ok, but when you read between the lines you realize there is more to it. Also, many people who are in the midst of an eating disorder don't realize it themselves. Unless they have already sought treatment and help, the answer is almost always "no I'm doing fine, I just want to be healthy" while the behavior suggests otherwise. And the posters here trying to understand her mind set are doing so out of genuine concern. There are also people here who want to dismiss such concerns, constantly defending some of the hallmark behaviors of disordered eating like aiming for calorie targets below the minimum, over exercising and under fueling, focusing only on scale weight, etc. These people tend to dismiss anyone who is suggesting that it's possible and for many even preferable, to lose weight in a slow, healthy and enjoyable way - I'm not sure why, but it's really prevalent lately.

It is possible that OP has got her head on straight and is on a good path to achieving a healthy weight, a physically fit body, and that she and her parents will come to a common understanding of her goals. I certainly hope that's the case. That doesn't mean we shouldn't still try to clarify, particularly when her original post suggested that people who know her far better than us are concerned.

And who made you the eating disorder police? Are you employed by Under Armour for that purpose, or is this just some self-important holier-than-thou personal mission of yours?

Because it looks a lot like the person with the problem is the one who decided to make herself the watcher of everyone else's weight loss.

OP has asked you to back off. Be respectful and do so.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    In my experience OP parents don't become "obsessed" unless there is a concern.

Is your diary open? Perhaps they are concerned about how much or what you're eating?
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Is your diary open? Perhaps they are concerned about how much or what you're eating?

I don't know if there is a concern or not, but I know my dad got obsessed with making me get up and walk around after major surgery where the doctor had told me no weight bearing for 5 weeks.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

I don't know if there is a concern or not, but I know my dad got obsessed with making me get up and walk around after major surgery where the doctor had told me no weight bearing for 5 weeks.

No walking or standing up for 5 weeks? Yikes!!!
  • heiliskrimsli
    Options
    Blitzia wrote: »
    And who made you the eating disorder police? Are you employed by Under Armour for that purpose, or is this just some self-important holier-than-thou personal mission of yours?

Because it looks a lot like the person with the problem is the one who decided to make herself the watcher of everyone else's weight loss.

OP has asked you to back off. Be respectful and do so.

Since this thread has derailed into pointing fingers at who has "the problem," let me point out that you seem to have quite the chip on your shoulder about whether or not the mythical 18-22 BMI is healthy, and you seem to be taking others' polite concern for OP's eating attitude personally. It's a public forum where people come to ask advice. Most people in this thread have offered their advice politely and constructively. You seem hostile and personally offended by what you deem as the "tremendous amounts of fatlogic" by everyone else on this thread. I don't understand why you seem to have become personally and deeply offended that people are offering their opinions on someone else's weight loss on a forum where people come to ask and offer advice on weight loss.

Well for one referring to a BMI between 18.5 and 22 as "mythical" is pretty fatlogic, considering that is within the healthy, normal range.

For another, OP asked for advice about dealing with intrusiveness from her parents, not for advice about how to stop losing weight, and quite a few people in here have tried to harass her about whether she's got an eating disorder. Even if she did, which I don't think there's any evidence to indicate, badgering her about it is hardly going to get you any kind of positive result. They're not being polite, not after being asked several times by OP to back off.

As for what I am and am not "personally offended by", not much actually offends me. I do find it really ironic that there are so many people so invested in the concept that the One Right Way is to eat as much as possible (and to exercise primarily because you can eat more) on a site called MyFITnessPal.

With what I've seen here, someone should change the domain name to MyFATnessPal.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »

No walking or standing up for 5 weeks? Yikes!!!

No weight bearing, just minimum movements on crutches until the joint was solid in its socket.

But the thing was that my dad wanted me up and about. And would not listen when I repeated my doctor's orders.
This discussion has been closed.