Does anyone not use there real pic for there profile? If so then why?

Options

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    davisfanny wrote: »
    OK so all I did was ask. no it's not a big deal and I was just wondering. I wasn't asking for any to get upset about it. I don't always use my pictures but I never use a picture if someone I don't know. My kids or my boyfriend maybe, but that's it. Privacy I understand completely. Why does it matter that I asked?? If you didn't like what I said no need to comment. I'm on here to get along with people and make friends. Please if you don't have anything nice to say just keep it to yourself.

Responses to this question weren't as bad as some I've seen on the forums lately but I understand your frustration. Really folks if you don't like the question just move on. Why is there so much anger on the forums these days? Maybe we're all just cranky cause we're hungry, lol.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    @SideSteel "This photo is me, but I'm in a stranger's house and I took their underwear" :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I don't use my real name for any social media site but my profile picture is always a true representation of me.

I love how your username gets cut off. You will forever be known as Teiny Wine Ho.

:s:#o:)>:):D
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Just was always curious why someone would use another person's pic for there own profile page....??

I don't understand why some women (it's always women, I think) post a photo of themselves with a guy. Aren't you an independent person? Think you're so enticing that if you use a single photo you'll get mercilessly hit on? Then don't post a photo.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I am in fact actually a tree. :p
  • Verdenal
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    I like to mix it up. Me, grandkids, me and hubby, dogs, me and dogs, sunrise, sunset, motivational quotes, chocolate chip cookie. Whatever strikes my fancy, but I don't use pictures of OTHER real life people and pretend it's me. That's a little weird IMO.

Very weird. And potentially misleading.
  • Verdenal
    edited May 2017
    Options

I don't use my picture because I've been on forums for many years and I just get a lot less unwanted attention this way.

I don't use my photo because I don't believe that privacy is dead.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Verdenal wrote: »
    Just was always curious why someone would use another person's pic for there own profile page....??

I don't understand why some women (it's always women, I think) post a photo of themselves with a guy. Aren't you an independent person? Think you're so enticing that if you use a single photo you'll get mercilessly hit on? Then don't post a photo.

Unfortunately women tend to get unsolicited mail (included the oddly widespread junk photo) if they even put out a hint that the profile is a woman's. I've never had that here. But I could understand why a lot of women just post a photo of a guy instead.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Fact of MFP life - enticing or not, most women here will get more than their fair share of creep-mail. A profile photo with their man might just be their way of stating unequivocally that they are not available.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Fact of MFP life - enticing or not, most women here will get more than their fair share of creep-mail. A profile photo with their man might just be their way of stating unequivocally that they are not available.

I had a disgusting message from a nasty guy yesterday and my pic isn't that sexy haha some guys are disgusting whether you're posing with your man or your other love, a Big Mac lol
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't use another person's picture, so that one I can't answer, but I don't use mine either. Not having a picture depersonalizes me. People are less likely to want to want to communicate with me when I don't have a face. I have communication problems when it comes to "one to one" interactions. I don't know how to react, when to stop messaging, what to say, how to react when it's inappropriate...etc, and it can stress me out. While I can handle the occasional private message, too many of them would be a bit too much. It works too. In my 5 years on here I have received maybe 10 or fewer private messages and not a single one of them was mean spirited or creepy. No grand stance on the issue, just a specific personal quirk.
  • wcgenius
    wcgenius Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is me. True.
    Actually, I'm here to count my calories, lose a bit of weight and pick up some hints and tips along the way. Not for anything else so, no one needs to know what I look like.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I don't have my photo on here because I'm really a very private person.

In real life, I don't much like communicating with strangers and hate it when random people (whom I don't know) speak to me if I'm out and about - y'know, the ones walking their dogs and say "good morning" when you pass by them. My external reaction is "RUN!"- head down, pretending that I didn't hear, walk/cycle faster and avoid speaking to them. I found that having earphones in situ helps. My internal reaction is, "why on earth are you speaking to me???" or more usually, "LEAVE ME ALONE!". I don't know what it is about me but loads of people speak to me, or ask me for directions, or ask me where something is in a shop. I actually had a woman I was caring for tell me that she knew everything was going to be alright as I had a face that she had faith in. Now that was plain weird but there you go. It made her happy to think that and that was okay by me, weird, but okay. I just want to be left alone to continue with whatever it was I was doing. I don't want to speak to people that I don't have to speak to. Very lacking in social graces. But it keeps things simple.

On the internet, I'm pretty well anonymous. No-one knows me. If people PM me asking personal stuff, eg, exactly where I live then they get ignored, as that is information I am not willing to reveal, even to people on the other side of the world.

I don't use my photo because a) I don't want to; b) I'm not comfortable with photos of myself let alone letting others see (I go crazy if DH posts a photo with me in it on Facebook; he's learned the hard way NOT to ); c) I wanted an avatar different to the grey silhouette and d) the photo I use is a cake I made (but didn't eat, I left that to the children) and I thought it was amusing to put a photo of it on a fitness/weightloss site being as the writing on the board says "Hungry?". I also have a sick sense of humour . . . :)
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    i mean...yeah i use my own pics. Probably shouldnt but iv worked my literal *kitten* off im proud and everyone here has the same goal to improve themselves and their body/health so why not. No shame :D I find it helps motivate me to knowing a r ecent pic of my body has to be posted, Good or bad
  • BluGnat
    BluGnat Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Mine's me, but from far enough away that my unphotogenicness isn't apparent. I hate how I look in pix. Plus, Jeep is life.
  • CaptainHandsome
    CaptainHandsome Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i'm an effing dreamboat, no reason to use anyone else's picture.
  • AnnaBanana5010
    AnnaBanana5010 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I like to hide. I do not post selfies online. Now that you've asked I will reveal my terrible plan. Im an evil cat plotting world domination. We the evil kitties will take over your world. We want all your milk, too.
  • AnnaBanana5010
    AnnaBanana5010 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    i mean...yeah i use my own pics. Probably shouldnt but iv worked my literal *kitten* off im proud and everyone here has the same goal to improve themselves and their body/health so why not. No shame :D I find it helps motivate me to knowing a r ecent pic of my body has to be posted, Good or bad
    That's amazing ! You go girl! That is so inspiring to me that you worked so hard. I would like to add you if that's ok!
  • Itybeth
    Itybeth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Meh. I use mine. I'm pretty proud of how far I've come!
  • LucasLean
    LucasLean Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Not just here, but on any website anywhere.

Some guys are desperate and will hit up strangers on the internet at random places. That's any site though, from what I've noticed. I'm not really sure what those guys expect when trying to hit on someone who is even across the planet sometimes. I'll accept anyone on here, but some women (new here) I guess view this site as more personal, like Facebook, so they say on their profile (guys don't add me or don't add me unless we talked lol). Regardless, anything you post online is permanent, even when deleted, so I understand not showing faces, especially if you might make someone angry by accident - or on purpose. Hah
  • 44eab44
    44eab44 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't have a photo because I am not comfortable with people seeing who I am! I wouldn't mind if I could be certain that I would not come across anyone I know... however, I do not want people I know on here and the best way to ensure that happens is by not having a photo of myself!
    I struggle with binge eating and am too ashamed and embarrassed to talk to people I know about it which is why I have turned to the MFP community for support!
    I realise I really need support through this, but I am not yet ready to let the people close to me know x