Is a 1000 calorie diet harmful?

Options
Hello. I'm 5'5 154lbs. I have been eating 1000 calories net. I always meet my protein and carb goal. I don't always meet the fat goal. I eat really healthy and get lots of vitamins. I also take a vitamin tablet just in case. I also don't binge on junk to gain everything back. Is this diet okay or harmful?

Replies

• SunflowerDaisey
    SunflowerDaisey Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm meeting the macros guys. Every now and then I don't meet the fat.
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It's complicated. Without medical supervision it's generally recommended to go to a more moderate diet. Lyle McDonald wrote THE book on PSMF and still generally recommends against it (it's an "if you MUST" kinda book).
  • SunflowerDaisey
    SunflowerDaisey Posts: 54 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

If you were meeting the macros then you wouldn't be consuming 1000 calories. The macros are what makes up those calories.

Not eating enough fat will lead to your hormones going all wacky. Your body needs you to consume fats to keep stable hormones and also to actually lose fat.

Up your calories and try to meet all your macro targets. As mentioned it's really really not healthy to be on 1000 calories and it's actually counter productive because your metabolism will actually slow down because you're starving yourself.

Thank you for actually helping me. I appreciate it. This is my first time dieting.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you're netting it. What are you actually eating, gross? What's your exercise, and what does MFP credit you for it?

You don't have a lot of weight to lose. Crash dieting with an extremely low calorie level is a recipe for yoyoing and gaining it right back.
  • manuel_kasko
    manuel_kasko Posts: 16 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

You asked if it was harmful. We told you it is. Now you're arguing your point. :|
    At that point no one gave me a reason why. I still don't understand why it is? I'm not arguing. I'm just trying to understand.

1. Fats help hormones, you need fats otherwise you're hormones will go all wacky.
    2. Metabolism, your metabolism will slow and weightloss will slow drastically.
    3. You're starving yourself. The 1200 minimum is for women and 1500 for men. It's the minimum your body needs to actually function.

Edited out my 4th because you said it's your first time dieting.

Use the MFP calculated intake.
    If you don't meet the fats or can't meet them then make up for it with some more protein or carbs to get you to the MFP calculated intake.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    It depends on your height and weight and your doctor's goals for you. It's hard to get standard nutrients for an adult in less than 1200 calories. I find it difficult and I eat no added sugars or refined grain or fatty meat other than fish.