Is a 1000 calorie diet harmful?

Options

Replies

• SunflowerDaisey
    SunflowerDaisey Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm meeting the macros guys. Every now and then I don't meet the fat.

You asked if it was harmful. We told you it is. Now you're arguing your point. :|
    At that point no one gave me a reason why. I still don't understand why it is? I'm not arguing. I'm just trying to understand.

Here's a reason: there is a limit to the amount of fat your body can metabolize in a day. Once you reach that limit (which happens quickly when you have a huge deficit), your body will then burn muscle. Not only will this lead to unpleasant physical changes (muscle is what gives our bodies pleasing definition), you *need* muscle. Your heart is a muscle. You really don't want to target your muscles when losing weight.

Also, your body needs a certain amount of fat to function. On a VLCD, it's likely you're not getting sufficient fat to keep your body working well. You already say that you miss the goal some days and it's likely you have custom set your macros to be below what you might optimally need.

Large deficits are associated with low energy, hair loss, and health issues like gall stones. If continued long term, they have the potential to damage your metabolism, resulting in you burning fewer calories than someone of the same weight as you.

I suspect you may reject some or all of this information, but you asked if this is a good idea. It isn't. Those are some of the reasons why.

Thank you. It was very helpful.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You asked if it was harmful. We told you it is. Now you're arguing your point. :|
    At that point no one gave me a reason why. I still don't understand why it is? I'm not arguing. I'm just trying to understand.

Here's a reason: there is a limit to the amount of fat your body can metabolize in a day. Once you reach that limit (which happens quickly when you have a huge deficit), your body will then burn muscle. Not only will this lead to unpleasant physical changes (muscle is what gives our bodies pleasing definition), you *need* muscle. Your heart is a muscle. You really don't want to target your muscles when losing weight.

Also, your body needs a certain amount of fat to function. On a VLCD, it's likely you're not getting sufficient fat to keep your body working well. You already say that you miss the goal some days and it's likely you have custom set your macros to be below what you might optimally need.

Large deficits are associated with low energy, hair loss, and health issues like gall stones. If continued long term, they have the potential to damage your metabolism, resulting in you burning fewer calories than someone of the same weight as you.

I suspect you may reject some or all of this information, but you asked if this is a good idea. It isn't. Those are some of the reasons why.

Thank you. It was very helpful.

You're welcome. Good luck!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP others have already covered why this is not recommended. It's also not necessary, in order to lose with. What is your overall goal, how much weight are you trying to lose? At most you should be aiming for a loss of 1 lb/week, and if only trying to lose 20 or so pounds, then a goal of 0.5 lb/week would be more appropriate. What calorie goal does MFP provide if you put in one of those goals, with your current stats? That's what you should be aiming to NET.

Cutting calories very low, and losing weight rapidly, also can have adverse effects like loss of lean body mass (becoming skinny fat instead of retaining muscle), hair loss, sallow skin, brittle nails and fatigue.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Like others have already mentioned it is too low so I won't add to that point but even at 12-1600cals. The only macro you can really afford to be under on is carbs. Your body needs protein to support muscle recovery and fat to support hormone synthesis but you don't really NEED excess carbs for anything. I eat about 1460 and carbs is really the only macro I can manipulate to create a deficit tbh. I have a 128p and 128c with a 50f goal; so obviously carbs is the only macro that changes for me depending on my goal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Calories are a unit of energy...your body requires energy to function properly...dieting in general isn't optimal...VLCD less than optimal in providing for your body's energy needs. Part of proper nutrition is actually fueling your body, not just macro/micro nutrition.

VLCDs most often result in advancing adaptive thermogenesis...it does this by shutting down "non-essential" functions...things like growing hair and nails, menstraul cycle, etc...effectively your body just slows your metabolism down by shutting things down to be more efficient given the lack of energy coming in...you also lose more lean mass than otherwise, further slowing metabolism...there is a finite amount of fat that can be oxidized to compensate for energy deficiencies...so the body will compensate by other means as necessary.

VLCDs should be under the observation of medial professionals for these and many more reasons.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? I ask simply because (to me at least) your weight/height doesn't seem excessive and at worse (again IMO) you'd be "curvy".
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Libby283 wrote: »
    tqdho96lrq4k.png

Actually according to this upon complete information a diary entry on mfp...

NIH says 1000-1200 is the minimum for women...

I doubt they mean anyone 5'5" with barely weight to lose

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    tqdho96lrq4k.png

I doubt they mean anyone 5'5" with barely weight to lose

This. Just because you CAN do it doesn't mean you SHOULD do it...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    tqdho96lrq4k.png

And it would really depend on a number of factors as to whether or not it was appropriate...and the lower you go, the more likely issues will arise.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    OP says that's her net intake, so what's her gross?
  • emmastewen123
    emmastewen123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your weight/height does not require to go down to 1000 calories. You are not properly fueling your body. You can eat healthy foods to have nutrition and healthy weight loss.

You can check this for healthy weight loss.
    http://www.fitgirlway.com/2017/03/13/how-to-lose-weight-fast-5-best-weight-loss-foods/

I hope it helps!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Using the new NIH calculator the lowest they will go is 1000 calories.

https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/index.html

There is also no mention of eating back exercise calories. However they do ask for your activity level.

Side note...I am not endorsing a diet below 1200. I can't last long term on 1200 long as well 1000.
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I did a 1200 calorie diet for years with no issues. Yesterday I was way less and felt fine. I have lost 5.2 lbs in 10 days.