Is a 1000 calorie diet harmful?

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm 5'5 154lbs. I have been eating 1000 calories net. I always meet my protein and carb goal. I don't always meet the fat goal. I eat really healthy and get lots of vitamins. I also take a vitamin tablet just in case. I also don't binge on junk to gain everything back. Is this diet okay or harmful?
    You need fat to burn fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I want to get to 130 at least. Less if I can

@SunflowerDaisey We have similar goals. I am 5'3" and want to get down to 130 pounds. I started at 183 and I am now down to 146 lbs. FYI - I am eating A LOT more than you and I am still loosing about a pound a week. I share my diary with friends. If you want to take a peek - send me a friend request. :)

Just curious. How many calories do you average in a day?

@fitmom4lifemfp It depends on my activity for the day. I eat more on running days and less on yoga/strength training days. On average I eat between 1600-1800 calories a day (give or take).
  • SunflowerDaisey
    SunflowerDaisey Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My only question is why? Why would you purposefully eat such low calories when you don't have too?
    I thought it would be faster. This is my first time dieting.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    My only question is why? Why would you purposefully eat such low calories when you don't have too?

Stop thinking of it as "dieting" - that's the surest way to fail.

Choose an eating/lifestyle plan that you can live with forever, and stick to it.

Also, fat isn't bad for you and doesn't make you fat. Eat more fat.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    It would be harmful for the people around me cause I would be one hangry *kitten*.

Meow!
  • SunflowerDaisey
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

Stop thinking of it as "dieting" - that's the surest way to fail.

Choose an eating/lifestyle plan that you can live with forever, and stick to it.

Also, fat isn't bad for you and doesn't make you fat. Eat more fat.

I don't think fat makes me fat. Some days it's just hard to get because I like naturally low fat foods. Thanks for your help.
  • SunflowerDaisey
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

its a faster way to lead to a binge cycle...

not to mention a malnourished body

I don't binge and I don't like lots of junk food at a time. I'm completely satisfied. It's why I was wondering if it's okay, but thank you for your help.
  • Fit_Trekkie
    Fit_Trekkie Posts: 27 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    Libby283 wrote: »
    tqdho96lrq4k.png

Actually according to this upon complete information a diary entry on mfp...

NIH says 1000-1200 is the minimum for women...

I doubt they mean anyone 5'5" with barely weight to lose

The odd part is that screenshot from MFP does not jive with data from the NIH which supposedly they got from the NIH as well. Now this is just the one part of the NIH site I found, there may be other sections.

Calories

To lose weight, most people need to reduce the number of calories they get from food and beverages (energy IN) and increase their physical activity (energy OUT).
    For a weight loss of 1–1 ½ pounds per week, daily intake should be reduced by 500 to 750 calories. In general:
    Eating plans that contain 1,200–1,500 calories each day will help most women lose weight safely.
    Eating plans that contain 1,500–1,800 calories each day are suitable for men and for women who weigh more or who exercise regularly.
    Very low calorie diets of fewer than 800 calories per day should not be used unless you are being monitored by your doctor.
  • kdavid1987
    kdavid1987 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm 5'5 154lbs. I have been eating 1000 calories net. I always meet my protein and carb goal. I don't always meet the fat goal. I eat really healthy and get lots of vitamins. I also take a vitamin tablet just in case. I also don't binge on junk to gain everything back. Is this diet okay or harmful?

Hi Sunflower, you may want to confer with a dietician, personal trainer, family doctor, etc. in order to determine what's best for you given your fitness goals. My concern is that your current calorie intake isn't sustainable from a long-term perspective.
  • MysteriousLeigh
    MysteriousLeigh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    And for those who are eating that way for x weeks and are just fine, talk to me in 5 years pls. Your 4 weeks of anecdotal evidence is a joke

Not really any cause to be rude about it, y'know. Nobody said this was a long-term goal.
  • SunflowerDaisey
    edited April 2017
    Options
    And for those who are eating that way for x weeks and are just fine, talk to me in 5 years pls. Your 4 weeks of anecdotal evidence is a joke

Not really any cause to be rude about it, y'know. Nobody said this was a long-term goal.
    I don't understand why people are being rude. I just asked a question. This is the help section and it's very discouraging. I probably will never ask a question on here again.
  • SunflowerDaisey
    Options
    kdavid1987 wrote: »

Hi Sunflower, you may want to confer with a dietician, personal trainer, family doctor, etc. in order to determine what's best for you given your fitness goals. My concern is that your current calorie intake isn't sustainable from a long-term perspective.

Thanks for the advice.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

I don't understand why people are being rude. I just asked a question. This is the help section and it's very discouraging. I probably will never ask a question on here again.

If you think these comments are rude, post something about ACV or starvation mode! Everyone has 2 cents to contribute and most contributions are helpful, just don't take it too personally. Read it, grumble a little and move on to the next comment. It's up to you to determine what may be helpful for your specific concerns. Coming on here is the best start for your journey, learn from it! Over time you will be able to pick out those that are truly being helpful and those that just want to criticize. There are a specific few that I have learned from and look forward to comments they may make on any given topic.
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged by one or two peoples rudeness. Some people are highly passionate and some mean well. I got roasted on my very first post because I didn't have enough knowledge on a subject but it didn't deter me and I've learned so much, am inspired daily and keep learning. Keep growing and educating yrself by reading and interacting in these forums.
    As for 1000 calories, it's not safe. Use 200 calories eating some nuts or a piece of fruit to make up to 1200. I Cld never sustain this way of eating long term on such a small deficit. Good luck