Is a 1000 calorie diet harmful?

Options

Replies

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    And for those who are eating that way for x weeks and are just fine, talk to me in 5 years pls. Your 4 weeks of anecdotal evidence is a joke

Not really any cause to be rude about it, y'know. Nobody said this was a long-term goal.
    I don't understand why people are being rude. I just asked a question. This is the help section and it's very discouraging. I probably will never ask a question on here again.

My advice is to listen to your body, not random people on the internet. All you need to ask yourself is -Are you losing at a reasonable rate? How does your body feel? What do your lab tests show? etc. If all is well, then all is well, regardless of what people say here.

Plus, you said 1000 NET, which to me means you're subtracting exercise from your TOTAL intake. Regardless, I think if someone is eating and feeling full, it doesn't matter what the calorie amount is. There's no reason to eat more if you're not hungry. Your body will tell you what's up. If you're hungry, eat some more. If you're not, don't. That's how people who don't count calories yet are at healthy weight do it.

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Well now I feel like my life has been a lie, is 5'5 considered little!? I thought I was average!

I thought 5'4 was average. As a 5'3 person, I consider myself within the average range. If 5'5 is "little," what am I, child-sized? ;-)

I got my threads mixed up and thought she was 5'2 lol! Though at 5'4 I usually feel like a short person, maybe I just hang with giants :lol:
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I find it so odd that some people are so invested in the fact that some guidelines say the minimum isn't 1200 cals, it's 1000 cals. That's the "minimum". It doesn't change the fact that it's inappropriate for the vast majority of people. And just because it won't "kill you" doesn't mean it's optimal.

These are the same people who have (very erroneously) said that a BMI of 20 is underweight. There are people here who don't support weight loss unless it's within their own particular very narrow frame of what is allowable, and you'll see them pop up often when anyone doesn't fit within the tiny box that they've decided is the One Right Way.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    And for those who are eating that way for x weeks and are just fine, talk to me in 5 years pls. Your 4 weeks of anecdotal evidence is a joke

Not really any cause to be rude about it, y'know. Nobody said this was a long-term goal.
    I don't understand why people are being rude. I just asked a question. This is the help section and it's very discouraging. I probably will never ask a question on here again.

My advice is to listen to your body, not random people on the internet. All you need to ask yourself is -Are you losing at a reasonable rate? How does your body feel? What do your lab tests show? etc. If all is well, then all is well, regardless of what people say here.

Plus, you said 1000 NET, which to me means you're subtracting exercise from your TOTAL intake. Regardless, I think if someone is eating and feeling full, it doesn't matter what the calorie amount is. There's no reason to eat more if you're not hungry. Your body will tell you what's up. If you're hungry, eat some more. If you're not, don't. That's how people who don't count calories yet are at healthy weight do it.

There are some difficulties in meeting nutritional needs with a lower calorie limit. From personal experience, to have a fully balanced day, I need about 1550 calories. Could it be done on less, probably, but I can lose just fine on 1600, so why mess with it.

Can you see a registered dietician to help you set up a meal plan that will be balanced and help you reach your goals in a healthy manner? There's really only so much people here can do for you. Mostly it's going to be conjecture because we aren't there living it. Seek some help from professionals closer to you.

As for people supporting the sub 1200, I really don't understand how that is helpful in any situation where we don't have the complete picture. It's not appropriate for the vast majority of the population

Edited: getting my threads mixed up
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Well now I feel like my life has been a lie, is 5'5 considered little!? I thought I was average!

I thought 5'4 was average. As a 5'3 person, I consider myself within the average range. If 5'5 is "little," what am I, child-sized? ;-)

Im 5ft 1.8......... im fun sized!
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options

I hope not, because I'm five feet even! At that height, depending on activity, I'll average between 1200 and 1500 per day. In maintenance for going on two years now at this level - I find my weight creeping up toward 110, though, which is heading toward dangerous territory for me, so I'll be narrowing things down a bit.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Same here, except I'm 5'4! I keep telling my husband that's average and he keeps patting me on the head and saying 'It's so cute that you think that.' The fact that both of our boys outgrew me at roughly 11.5 years old isn't helping :tongue:
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't get a warning and can complete my diary provided I meet 1000 (but I never do go that low-just hit it by accident on my phone). Are you sure OP is infringing the rules?

Eta: sorry, didn't notice the multiple pages. This has doubtless been covered.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

As someone that isn't even 5 foot I think 5'5 is positively tall. I'd also say that guidelines which say a minimum of 1000 would only be for those of my height and less, close to goal weight, where our BMI is less than 1200 and our NEAT isn't much over 1200 to begin with. Even then I lost weight eating at a minimum of 1200, I did it by only eating back half of my exercise calories. I'd hate to only have 1000 calories to work with a day.

• Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

There are some difficulties in meeting nutritional needs with a lower calorie limit. From personal experience, to have a fully balanced day, I need about 1550 calories. Could it be done on less, probably, but I can lose just fine on 1600, so why mess with it........

Just because YOU do it one way doesn't mean it can't be done any other way. A person can pack a lot of vitamins and minerals in 1000 calories if they're clever about food choices such as nutrient dense fruits and veggies with very little processed foods, added oils etc. And you don't need a dietician to tell you if your diet is providing essential vitamins and minerals, one can just use cronometer.com for that.. It's not that complicated.

If they eat that way, they can end up with a significant volume of food as well which means they'll avoid hunger. That in turn will make it more sustainable until they lose the excess weight. So, no, eating a given # of calories doesn't guarantee that it meets nutritional needs. Eating nutrient dense whole foods in the right amounts and verifying on a proper tracker (not mfp), does.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm 5'5 154lbs. I have been eating 1000 calories net. I always meet my protein and carb goal. I don't always meet the fat goal. I eat really healthy and get lots of vitamins. I also take a vitamin tablet just in case. I also don't binge on junk to gain everything back. Is this diet okay or harmful?

Unless you have been directed to undergo such a calorie-restricted diet by a qualified medical professional, yes. It is dangerous. It actually borders on the level of restriction that would put someone at-risk for an eating disorder. Your body will not function properly on 1,000 calories every single day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

As someone that isn't even 5 foot I think 5'5 is positively tall. I'd also say that guidelines which say a minimum of 1000 would only be for those of my height and less, close to goal weight, where our BMI is less than 1200 and our NEAT isn't much over 1200 to begin with. Even then I lost weight eating at a minimum of 1200, I did it by only eating back half of my exercise calories. I'd hate to only have 1000 calories to work with a day.

Haha I'm 5"8 and 5'5 or below is little to me. My 25 year old daughter is around 5'2 and hugging her feels like hugging a small child lol

I've always wanted to be short and petite, but then i read about the low calories some of these women have to eat, and i change my mind. But if i didn't have to worry about calories and was naturally slim, i would love to be a few inches shorter.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Best advice here.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Best advice here.

Listening to their body and it lying to you is the reason most people are here in the first place...

QFT.