Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fasting

Options

Replies

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This debate/quarrel between posters 7268894 and usmcmp got me looking online ... and I usually start with Google ... where I got a link to this site ...
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com

It's the blog site for this nephrologist Dr Jason Fung ...

There is interesting stuff out there. Having a relative with damaged kidneys from Diabetes, I think I'll look into this stuff more closely.

PS ... Oh yes, he is the 'diet doctor' under debate here. I also noticed he has a lot of YouTube uploads out there as well, and wrote a book. .... taking the book with a big 'grain of salt'.
    7268894 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    7268894 wrote: »
    So what are you saying?

I'm saying I have read his work to understand fasting and the claims of fasting better, you should consider reading things that contradict what you believe.

Ah, I agree. We should all challenge our beliefs and eliminate bias as well. By the way, a. Liam is an assertion of truth without proof. Now, if , being that you restrict the conversation to just one person, dr fung, he provides ample independent proof that fasting works. I also restrict lengthy explanation for the sake of brevity.
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    This debate/quarrel between posters 7268894 and usmcmp got me looking online ... and I usually start with Google ... where I got a link to this site ...
    https://intensivedietarymanagement.com

It's the blog site for this nephrologist Dr Jason Fung ...

There is interesting stuff out there. Having a relative with damaged kidneys from Diabetes, I think I'll look into this stuff more closely.

PS ... Oh yes, he is the 'diet doctor' under debate here. I also noticed he has a lot of YouTube uploads out there as well, and wrote a book. .... taking the book with a big 'grain of salt'.

Please do. My wife cares for a Disney man with type 2 diabetic condition. He, with supervision of his doctor has thus far managed to reduce his insulin requirements. For all intensive purposes, he reversing his condition with fasting!!!!!!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So what are you saying?

I'm saying I have read his work to understand fasting and the claims of fasting better, you should consider reading things that contradict what you believe.

Ah, I agree. We should all challenge our beliefs and eliminate bias as well. By the way, a. Liam is an assertion of truth without proof. Now, if , being that you restrict the conversation to just one person, dr fung, he provides ample independent proof that fasting works. I also restrict lengthy explanation for the sake of brevity.

But why would you restrict your research or a conversation to one person? That's not eliminating biases or challenging your belief. I've read his stuff. I was genuinely interesting in the benefits when I read it.

You still haven't responded to most of my questions except with vague replies. It's fine if you don't know or don't understand the concepts, you can admit that. Telling me to go research is trying to shift the burden of proof when you were the one making claims.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Dr (used loosely) Fung is a certified quack. Sorry Mr. Numbers.

Please tell me where the certification for quack came from? I thought he was a liscensced doctor to treat kidney diseases and that his work in this field was the spring board for his weightloss conclusions.

Please tell me where the quack certification is so I can google it.
    Options
    Hmmm, how to respond to sarcasm, a
    So what are you saying?

But why would you restrict your research or a conversation to one person? That's not eliminating anything.

You still haven't responded to most of my questions except with vague replies. It's fine if you don't know or don't understand the concepts, you can admit that. Telling me to go research is trying to shift the burden of proof when you were the one making claims.

Options
    So what are you saying?

But why would you restrict your research or a conversation to one person? That's not eliminating anything.

What questions? Shall we talk or are you at that point where name calling would suit you best?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    So what are you saying?

That wasn't intended to be sarcasm. You were discussing eliminating biases and then immediate said to only look at Jason Fung's information. I edited my prior post to make it more clear.
    Options
    I am game either way.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Please tell me where the certification for quack came from? I thought he was a liscensced doctor to treat kidney diseases and that his work in this field was the spring board for his weightloss conclusions.

He spews quackery...That makes him a quack.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    So what are you saying?

What questions? Shall we talk or are you at that point where name calling would suit you best?

You want me to name call or you are going to call me names?

Here is the question again:
    You keep throwing out the vague term of physiological mechanisms. What specifically does the body do during the fasted state that would negate overeating by hundreds of calories?
    Options
    So what are you saying?

You keep throwing out the vague term of physiological mechanisms. What specifically does the body do during the fasted state that would negate overeating by hundreds of calories?

Question, do you assume that all calories are equal? To say that the body treats them all the same?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

stating that you can cure diabetes(you reverse it not cure it) and can cure people with kidney failure(not to be confused with kidney disease that may be reversed) to me yells quack. sure he works with kidney issues,doesnt make him an exert in weight loss,heck if thats the case then I could get my advice from a podiatrist on weight loss.most drs dont get enough training when it comes to dietary needs,nutrition and so on, thats why there are registered dietitians, or doctors who also hold those degrees
  • usmcmp
    Options
    So what are you saying?

Question, do you assume that all calories are equal? To say that the body treats them all the same?

You answer mine first since I've been asking for a couple of pages now and I will gladly answer yours.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    I have an opinion .... All calories cannot be the same because they are simply a unit of measurement for energy and not a macronutrient which is the delivery agent of that energy. Therefore and however ,,,, the body treats all calories the same way, but the macronutrients that make up that energy source are utiltized differently by that magic machine, the body. .... "A calorie is a calorie ... but a bun is not a burger"
    Options

stating that you can cure diabetes(you reverse it not cure it) and can cure people with kidney failure(not to be confused with kidney disease that may be reversed) to me yells quack. sure he works with kidney issues,doesnt make him an exert in weight loss,heck if thats the case then I could get my advice from a podiatrist on weight loss.most drs dont get enough training when it comes to dietary needs,nutrition and so on, thats why there are registered dietitians, or doctors who also hold those degrees

Kidney damage is irreversible. Define cure of diabetes. To say the absence of a condition that no long requires medical intervention, does this suffice? If so I say cure.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Kidney damage is irreversible. Define cure of diabetes. To say the absence of a condition that no long requires medical intervention, does this suffice? If so I say cure.

the absence of something does not mean a cure though, take cancer. you can go into remission but it can come back many times over,same way if you reverse type 2,if you go back to the way things were when you had it it can come back.

sometimes it can come back no matter what you do.same with asthma,its a lung disease and cannot be cured, but you can go years and years without symptoms and not need medication, and then down the road have an asthma attack and die.I never said kidney damage is reversible, I think maybe you have a hard time comprehending english? this is not meant to be snarky either.

from what I read he said CURE,I didnt so maybe ask him as he is the one that states it can be cured.
    Options
    So what are you saying?

You answer mine first since I've been asking for a couple of pages now and I will gladly answer yours.

Depends on the source of calories. Fat, protein, or carb. You pick.