Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fasting

Options

Replies

7268894 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    7268894 wrote: »
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Hmmm, how to respond to sarcasm, a
    So what are you saying?

I'm saying I have read his work to understand fasting and the claims of fasting better, you should consider reading things that contradict what you believe.

Ah, I agree. We should all challenge our beliefs and eliminate bias as well. By the way, a. Liam is an assertion of truth without proof. Now, if , being that you restrict the conversation to just one person, dr fung, he provides ample independent proof that fasting works. I also restrict lengthy explanation for the sake of brevity.

But why would you restrict your research or a conversation to one person? That's not eliminating anything.

You still haven't responded to most of my questions except with vague replies. It's fine if you don't know or don't understand the concepts, you can admit that. Telling me to go research is trying to shift the burden of proof when you were the one making claims.
    What questions? Shall we talk or are you at that point where name calling would suit you best?

You want me to name call or you are going to call me names?

Here is the question again:
    You keep throwing out the vague term of physiological mechanisms. What specifically does the body do during the fasted state that would negate overeating by hundreds of calories?

Question, do you assume that all calories are equal? To say that the body treats them all the same?

You answer mine first since I've been asking for a couple of pages now and I will gladly answer yours.

Depends on the source of calories. Fat, protein, or carb. You pick.

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Kidney damage is irreversible. Define cure of diabetes. To say the absence of a condition that no long requires medical intervention, does this suffice? If so I say cure.

Hmmm .... I think it's more remission ... cause Remission: Disappearance of the signs and symptoms of cancer or other disease. A remission can be temporary or permanent.

With diabeties ... Type 1 is never cured, Type 2 can go into remission and kept in remission as long as the supporting lifestyle and organ health remains constant. ... Have Type 2 long enough and you won't be able to get it under control and into a state of remission. .... I'm from a long line of Type 2 Diabetics and have seen it's affects on generations of people. (PS ... both immediate family line and other family tree limb lines; including successfull control of the disease/syndrome)
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Kidney damage is irreversible. Define cure of diabetes. To say the absence of a condition that no long requires medical intervention, does this suffice? If so I say cure.

Hmmm .... I think it's more remission ... cause Remission: Disappearance of the signs and symptoms of cancer or other disease. A remission can be temporary or permanent.

With diabeties ... Type 1 is never cured, Type 2 can go into remission and kept in remission as long as the supporting lifestyle and organ health remains constant. ... Have Type 2 long enough and you won't be able to get it under control and into a state of remission. .... I'm from a long line of Type 2 Diabetics and have seen it's affects on generations of people. (PS ... both immediate family line and other family tree limb lines)

Thanks for sharing by the way. Why do you believe this?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    So what are you saying?

I'm saying I have read his work to understand fasting and the claims of fasting better, you should consider reading things that contradict what you believe.

Ah, I agree. We should all challenge our beliefs and eliminate bias as well. By the way, a. Liam is an assertion of truth without proof. Now, if , being that you restrict the conversation to just one person, dr fung, he provides ample independent proof that fasting works. I also restrict lengthy explanation for the sake of brevity.

But why would you restrict your research or a conversation to one person? That's not eliminating anything.

You still haven't responded to most of my questions except with vague replies. It's fine if you don't know or don't understand the concepts, you can admit that. Telling me to go research is trying to shift the burden of proof when you were the one making claims.
    What questions? Shall we talk or are you at that point where name calling would suit you best?

You keep throwing out the vague term of physiological mechanisms. What specifically does the body do during the fasted state that would negate overeating by hundreds of calories?

Question, do you assume that all calories are equal? To say that the body treats them all the same?

You answer mine first since I've been asking for a couple of pages now and I will gladly answer yours.

You know someone who eats only one macro? Serious question.
    Options
    Inuits
    So what are you saying?

Inuits
    Options
    But in all seriousness, can you be more specific. There are numerous studies where overdressed on the thousands of calories have resulted in. Ominal weight gain, so much so to say it's negligible..
    Options
    Typos, sorry, addressed
  • usmcmp
    Options
    So what are you saying?

I ask this because most people eat at least two macros. Meaning an extra 500 calories will come from the total overall intake and not the last 500 calories eaten. If a person is doing low carb the extra 500 calories may come from up to 5% carbs, 30-40% protein and the rest fat. The excess won't come from a single macro.
    Options
    The body doesn't need carbohydrates. Mind you this doesn't take into account minerals.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    The body doesn't need carbohydrates. Mind you this doesn't take into account minerals.

Okay, but even if a person ate zero carbs (like Inuits) they're still eating fat and protein. So the excess calories come from both macros.

Again:
    Options
    But in all seriousness, can you be more specific. There are numerous studies where overdressed on the thousands of calories have resulted in. Ominal weight gain, so much so to say it's negligible..

Deriving all calories from a fat source isn't out of the question. Think bulletproof coffee.
  • usmcmp
    edited April 2017
    Options

Deriving all calories from a fat source isn't out of the question. Think bulletproof coffee.

Is that all the person eats every day for the week? You're attempting to set up a strawman.
    Options

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »

With diabeties ... Type 1 is never cured, Type 2 can go into remission and kept in remission as long as the supporting lifestyle and organ health remains constant. ... Have Type 2 long enough and you won't be able to get it under control and into a state of remission. .... I'm from a long line of Type 2 Diabetics and have seen it's affects on generations of people. (PS ... both immediate family line and other family tree limb lines)

Thanks for sharing by the way. Why do you believe this?

Why do believe Type 2 Diabeties can go into remission but not be 'cured'? .... I suppose it's really a subjective thing for me personally. Cure signifies no traces left of the disease. Remission, to me, signifies, no further damage is currently active ... but that doesn't mean that damage already done has been put back to normal. ... Maybe it's a bit of symantics on my part. Maybe it's also how long the remission lasts and if other physical improvements are experienced that had been compromized in the uncontrolled or even tightly controlled state.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    So what are you saying?

I ask this because most people eat at least two macros. Meaning an extra 500 calories will come from the total overall intake and not the last 500 calories eaten. If a person is doing low carb the extra 500 calories may come from up to 5% carbs, 30-40% protein and the rest fat. The excess won't come from a single macro.

Quoting in case you missed this. The extra calories will come from a mix of macros. Now what will happen to the extra 500 calories that are coming from a mix of protein and fat (we'll leave carbs out since you obviously disapprove of carbs).
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

No, your body doesn't need dietary carbohydrates. Your body actually needs carbohydrates so much, that in the absence of eating them, your body will produce their own.
    Glycogenesis, yes. I'm sorry, I lost my train of thought. We are talking about the possibility of the body eliminating excess calories?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ]

Nope, not glycogenesis​. Try again.
  • itssmee2
    itssmee2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There are numerous types of fasting. The one that seems to be getting a lot of attention lately is intermittant fasting. You can fast for "x" hours or "x" days. Some people don't do a complete fast but instead do a not eating but drinking (smoothies type drinks) and call it fasting. Intermittant fasting is supposed to work. I do not do fasting myself as I am a diabetic and my blood sugars can go dangerously low if I do not eat,
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Touché, but it isn't the reduction of calories that is the mechanism of weight lose when fasting. It the hormonal shift of insulin in repsonse to depleted glycogen stores that ultimate precipitates the use fat as the energy source in the absence of sugar. It isn't the restriction of calories. Numerous studies will and do support this as well. At excess caloric intake, and fasting still results in weight lose, to say that it isn't the reduction of calories that is the primary mechanism.

Are you even aware that 90% of an average activity day has it's energy supply by fat already?
    What are you talking about you need to fast to stop burning carbs and start burning fat?

Only the brain is using the blood sugar until you start moving more, up until the other end of the range being anaerobic and total carb usage.
    That end of the range is your extreme effort that isn't lasting very long.

Most people can get somewhere up into the lower or middle of their aerobic zone and still be burning 50% fat as energy source, and more than that below that level.