Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fasting

Options

Replies

7268894 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well, if you permit me some leeway here and forgo lengthy discourse on the physiological responses, the extra calories could be expended or retained. It depends on other factors not addressed yet. Really, check out DR Jason fung. He talks about all of this at length with ample scientific support
    Options
    I would be happy to do so friend.
    Options
    Where shall we begin.
    Options
    And there are still so many other physiological mechanisms not in play in that scenario as well.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    7268894 wrote: »
    And there are still so many other physiological mechanisms not in play in that scenario as well.

Such as what? You keep throwing out the vague term of physiological mechanisms. What specifically does the body do during the fasted state that would negate overeating by hundreds of calories?
    Options
    You are actually quite wrong about that too.
    Options
    Really? Why?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Really? Why?

When you don't use the quote function I have no idea what you are replying to.
    Options
    Sorry, didn't know about such a feat
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Really? Why?

When you don't use the quote function I have no idea what you are replying to.

Options
    I repeat, check out DR Jason Fung. He addresses all of these issues at length and then some. Cheers
    Options
    So what are you saying?
    Options
    I repeat, check out DR Jason Fung. He addresses all of these issues at length and then some. Cheers

I have told you that I read his book and I've read many of his articles (as well as some of his horrible fat shaming comments posted on social media). I also know what his profession is other than promoting fasting.

Here's the thing, when it comes to learning about topics it only serves us to read contradicting studies to get a full view of the topic. I was hugely into a few very specific things when I started losing weight. I KNEW they were the way because I had studied them. Then I was shown information that contradicted what I knew. I kept reading. I still read all about methods I don't use and I read studies that show my methods aren't necessarily the best.

You know what matters the most in all of this? Energy balance and adherence.

• usmcmp
    Options

Such as what? You keep throwing out the vague term of physiological mechanisms. What specifically does the body do during the fasted state that would negate overeating by hundreds of calories?

I'm also going to quote this question because you keep bringing it up and it's time for you to provide specific examples. You made the claim that overeating doesn't matter if you fast, you back it up. Telling me to research it says you really don't understand the claim or physiology.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    So what are you saying?

I'm saying I have read his work to understand fasting and the claims of fasting better, you should consider reading things that contradict what you believe.
    Options

I have told you that I read his book and I've read many of his articles (as well as some of his horrible fat shaming comments posted on social media). I also know what his profession is other than promoting fasting.

Here's the thing, when it comes to learning about topics it only serves us to read contradicting studies to get a full view of the topic. I was hugely into a few very specific things when I started losing weight. I KNEW they were the way because I had studied them. Then I was shown information that contradicted what I knew. I kept reading. I still read all about methods I don't use and I read studies that show my methods aren't necessarily the best.

You know what matters the most in all of this? Energy balance and adherence.
    What are you saying? He is a repugnant person? I don't know him. His methods, he didn't invent fasting. Are you suggesting that numerous independent study's from are balderdash? I'm confused as to you meaning. Clarify please.