Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fasting

Options
System
System Posts: 1,900 MFP Staff
This discussion was created from replies split from: Fasting.

Replies

7268894 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi again, Jason Fung, intermittent fasting and "The Obesity Code". He has numerous videos on YouTube and his website to boot.
    Options
    Yes.
    Options
    No.
    Options
    No, it really is failed science. Hundred plus years of research to prove it too.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    pushy huh
    Options
    You are confusing caloric restriction with fasting.
    Options
    Educate yourself. Google Dr Jason Fung.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Don't need to! Dr Fung claims you can cure diabetes. Hogwash.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    7268894 wrote: »
    No, it really is failed science. Hundred plus years of research to prove it too.

Why not provide this research?
    Options
    The physiological effects of fasting and a that of caloric restriction is verifiably different. I could go on and on. But I would rather you folks who stand upon the "pulpit" of caloric restriction as primary, CRAP, do you due diligence and look at the science. This do it as well as many others present and past are spot on.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You are confusing caloric restriction with fasting.

nope,Im not confusing anything. most people when they fast eat less,hence caloric deficit. if you fasted for 24 hrs with no food,youd still be in a deficit,although I am sure there are some who could eat in maintenance or a surplus during a fast(depending on the type). and fung is a quack
    Options
    Not eating is fasting. That isn't caloric reduction. That is not eating. The net effect may or may not be a reduction in total caloric intake upon the cease fast.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Not eating is fasting. That isn't caloric reduction. That is not eating. The net effect may or may not be a reduction in total caloric intake upon the cease fast.

There are many types of fasting,you need to do some research. someone above mentioned the types of fasting.fasting means no eating for a period of time(you got that). I dont eat for 16 hrs and then I eat in an 8 hr window,or 18:6(18hrs/6hr window). so I am still fasting and I am still in a caloric deficit because I make sure I get my calories I need in those windows of time.

if you did the type of fasting where you dont eat for 24 hrs and then eat the next day and repeat,you can make sure doing so that you are still in a caloric deficit or not. I said that its possible a person could eat maintenance calories or even a surplus in that window of time. but for most of us who fast we are still in a deficit.
    Options
    Touché, but it isn't the reduction of calories that is the mechanism of weight lose when fasting. It the hormonal shift of insulin in repsonse to depleted glycogen stores that ultimate precipitates the use fat as the energy source in the absence of sugar. It isn't the restriction of calories. Numerous studies will and do support this as well. At excess caloric intake, and fasting still results in weight lose, to say that it isn't the reduction of calories that is the primary mechanism.
    Options
    Pardon the typos.
    Options
    Again, there are numerous physiological responses that take place and are necessarily paramount for the burning of fat and the sparing of other bodily tissues that occur when fasting. It isn't the reduction of calories that spurs this adaptive response either.