Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fasting

Options

Replies

7268894 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    ]

Nope, not glycogenesis​. Try again.

Gluconeogenesis.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Could you please answer my question? I think I've made it all fairly clear. Someone eats one meal per day of 500 calories more than they need. These calories are made up of fat and protein. They do this for several months. What happens to the excess calories and how does it work?
    Options
    Nim
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Could you please answer my question? I think I've made it all fairly clear. Someone eats one meal per day of 500 calories more than they need. These calories are made up of fat and protein. They do this for several months. What happens to the excess calories and how does it work?

Hi, just read this. Draw your own conclusion. This was turning into a wall of text. I'm lazy ATM. Sue me. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-physiology-part-ii/
  • usmcmp
    Options
    7268894 wrote: »
    Nim

Hi, just read this. Draw your own conclusion. This was turning into a wall of text. I'm lazy ATM. Sue me. https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-physiology-part-ii/

That doesn't say that a daily calorie surplus will be negated if someone fasts. It doesn't talk about a calorie surplus at all.
    Options
    Nim

That doesn't say that a daily calorie surplus will be negated if someone fasts. It doesn't talk about a calorie surplus at all.

Your TEE increases too.. seriously read the blog. What's his six hour lecture on the etiology on obesity. It wil be explained throughly. Good night. Wife says stop now.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Nim

Your TEE increases too.. seriously read the blog. What's his six hour lecture on the etiology on obesity. It wil be explained throughly. Good night. Wife says stop now.

I already stated that TDEE increases after 16 hours in the fasted state. That's well known. I also stated 500 calories beyond total daily needs.
    Options
    It's rather difficult to contend with armchair science and google theses days. Whilst the intent was to inform causally, and direct folks to a staring point, I was sucked into a course of conversation not suited for an iPhone and facts to support my claims. Here I concede. Enjoy the process. Do the research. Fasting works. Now go find out why.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Don't need to! Dr Fung claims you can cure diabetes. Hogwash.

I read there is significant quality research proving many (not all) can reverse type 2 diabetes using diet/fasting. It's not hogwash.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

I read there is significant quality research proving many (not all) can reverse type 2 diabetes using diet/fasting. It's not hogwash.

Reverse diabetes is different than cure diabetes.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options

Reverse diabetes is different than cure diabetes.

I think you are splitting hairs with that definition.
    Someone who gets off their meds probably feels cured, though 'remission' may be more apropos.

Well, he is a medical doctor, he should know the difference. I'm not splitting hairs.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Kidney damage is irreversible. Define cure of diabetes. To say the absence of a condition that no long requires medical intervention, does this suffice? If so I say cure.

Hmmm .... I think it's more remission ... cause Remission: Disappearance of the signs and symptoms of cancer or other disease. A remission can be temporary or permanent.

With diabeties ... Type 1 is never cured, Type 2 can go into remission and kept in remission as long as the supporting lifestyle and organ health remains constant. ... Have Type 2 long enough and you won't be able to get it under control and into a state of remission. .... I'm from a long line of Type 2 Diabetics and have seen it's affects on generations of people. (PS ... both immediate family line and other family tree limb lines)

Thanks for sharing by the way. Why do you believe this?

Why do believe Type 2 Diabeties can go into remission but not be 'cured'? .... I suppose it's really a subjective thing for me personally. Cure signifies no traces left of the disease. Remission, to me, signifies, no further damage is currently active ... but that doesn't mean that damage already done has been put back to normal. ... Maybe it's a bit of symantics on my part. Maybe it's also how long the remission lasts and if other physical improvements are experienced that had been compromized in the uncontrolled or even tightly controlled state.

Cure = once the treatment is over, you don't have the problem anymore. Broken arm -> get a cast, wait a few weeks -> cast gets off -> no broken arm anymore and no further steps have to be taken.
    Remission = you still have it throughout the whole process. Diabetes -> you get your insulin under control through diet etc. -> no symptoms anymore but you'll always have to keep your insulin in check, there is never going to be a point at which you can eat anything without thinking about it like healthy people.

You think healthy people don't think about what they eat?

How do you think they stay healthy?

That's like saying that rich people never think about spending money.
  • L1zardQueen
    Options
    Kidney damage is irreversible. Define cure of diabetes. To say the absence of a condition that no long requires medical intervention, does this suffice? If so I say cure.

Hmmm .... I think it's more remission ... cause Remission: Disappearance of the signs and symptoms of cancer or other disease. A remission can be temporary or permanent.

With diabeties ... Type 1 is never cured, Type 2 can go into remission and kept in remission as long as the supporting lifestyle and organ health remains constant. ... Have Type 2 long enough and you won't be able to get it under control and into a state of remission. .... I'm from a long line of Type 2 Diabetics and have seen it's affects on generations of people. (PS ... both immediate family line and other family tree limb lines)

Why do believe Type 2 Diabeties can go into remission but not be 'cured'? .... I suppose it's really a subjective thing for me personally. Cure signifies no traces left of the disease. Remission, to me, signifies, no further damage is currently active ... but that doesn't mean that damage already done has been put back to normal. ... Maybe it's a bit of symantics on my part. Maybe it's also how long the remission lasts and if other physical improvements are experienced that had been compromized in the uncontrolled or even tightly controlled state.

Cure = once the treatment is over, you don't have the problem anymore. Broken arm -> get a cast, wait a few weeks -> cast gets off -> no broken arm anymore and no further steps have to be taken.
    Remission = you still have it throughout the whole process. Diabetes -> you get your insulin under control through diet etc. -> no symptoms anymore but you'll always have to keep your insulin in check, there is never going to be a point at which you can eat anything without thinking about it like healthy people.

But that is not what he is saying. Cure versus remission. You cannot cure diabetes, if you let your guard it will reappear.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options

But that is not what he is saying. Cure versus remission. You cannot cure diabetes, if you let your guard it will reappear.

So all you have to do in that case is eat like a healthy person eats, and you'll be fine? If only cancer were so difficult.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    There's research that supports type 2 diabetes being reversible - the Newcastle study and bariatric surgery comes to mind - very low calorie diets both. It stands to reason fasting could provide the same results. If anecdotal evidence is to be believed eating low carb can get you the same results.

It's not a matter of "letting your guard down" it's a matter of not eating *kitten* food that makes people fat and sick. Don't do that and you'll reverse or prevent a whole host of diseases.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

So all you have to do in that case is eat like a healthy person eats, and you'll be fine? If only cancer were so difficult.

A healthy person doesn't care if their blood sugar spikes, someone with diabetes does.