Bad memories, experiences you had as a child which still haunts you, reminds you till this day

Options

Replies

• SoulRadiation
    SoulRadiation Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    One time I was climbing an obstacle (log wall) and somebody (another kid) threw a Frisbee and successfully hit a hornets nest in my vicinity. I was swarmed with hornets. It was excruciating, but I climbed down the wall and ran and everybody at the gathering was also stung and I'm sure they remember as well.

I will never **** with a hornets nest.

Approach with caution and a flamethrower.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    dazzler21 wrote: »
    At 13 I found my mum after she hung herself, couldn't get her down as her dead weight had set in and I was too weak.

It haunts me every day still though not nearly as vividly as then. At 28 i'm now only less than 10 years younger than she was.

It's a head frick seeing someone you love so much who gave you life so dead and lifeless.

I am happy to talk about it now though.

It nearly caused me to take my own life, but I overcame it and now I regularly fundraise for mental health charities and give presentations on suicide and depression awareness.

Wow, this played my heart strings. I am so glad you took a horrible tragedy and turned it into something good in your life.

My father in law shot himself in the head less than a year ago. I was the one in charge of making most decisions, it didn't kill him but he was brain dead. My mother in law and husband were too distraught to do anything. I had to give the final ok to take him life support and sat there with him as he died. I also cleaned the room he used to shoot himself in. These things haunt me like it was yesterday and I am 41. I can't imagine what you went through.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    J_Surita3 wrote: »
    Wow. This thread is deep. I feel fortunate for my childhood.

Me too, fortunately I didn't have anything happen to me as a child to really qualify as tragic. Since I turned 21 thought it went straight to hell!
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    At 13 I found my mum after she hung herself, couldn't get her down as her dead weight had set in and I was too weak.

It haunts me every day still though not nearly as vividly as then. At 28 i'm now only less than 10 years younger than she was.

It's a head frick seeing someone you love so much who gave you life so dead and lifeless.

It nearly caused me to take my own life, but I overcame it and now I regularly fundraise for mental health charities and give presentations on suicide and depression awareness.

Wow, this played my heart strings. I am so glad you took a horrible tragedy and turned it into something good in your life.

My father in law shot himself in the head less than a year ago. I was the one in charge of making most decisions, it didn't kill him but he was brain dead. My mother in law and husband were too distraught to do anything. I had to give the final ok to take him life support and sat there with him as he died. I also cleaned the room he used to shoot himself in. These things haunt me like it was yesterday and I am 41. I can't imagine what you went through.

Truly awful experience. I'm sorry you had to go through that. It's still gut wrenchingly painful no matter what age you lose someone, especially to suicide.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options

Damn man, I'm sorry to hear that. No one can replace a mother. Depression is a silent killer. If you going through stress, want to vent out feel free. Anyone is welcome to Holla at me.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    lstrat115 wrote: »
    km8907 wrote: »
    Some of these bad "experiences" should not haunt these people still today... some just need thicker skin. But others I can relate with totally Shi** stuff can happen in life just as long as you can turn your circumstances into something constructive. Ive dealt with a lot of trauma in life and I just rather choose to learn from the experiences rather then let it haunt me for ever.

Please don't undermine someone else's trauma.

I suppose your right what is common place for me might be an out right tragedy for another, who am I to judge. I still think people could benefit from developing a thicker skin / Positive mindset.

Maybe too thick of skin can cause someone to think that they are not bigger than their circumstances. They may just take life as it comes and never use those bad experiences to create positive changes in their lives.
    No one can really judge what should or shouldn't be traumatic to another person.

actually I believe having "thick skin" will allow you to not fall victim (adhere to some ones standards, criticism or any other form of physical / mental abuse) to the circumstances and allows you in your words to always be bigger then them in any or all situations. Thus this will allow the individual to always have a positive outlook, no mater what adversity they face in life, and as I said "who am I to judge" because at the end of the day some one on one side of the world has probably witnessed friends and family murdered to the hands of tyrants and here in the US we drop our gum on the sidewalk and its just an absolute tragedy... thats my point.

Jeez you're being a dik. This is why mental health is a huge issue today. Skin protects you only from physical issues and doesn't do that well.

Psychologically damaging experiences should never be bottled up, you should never tell someone who is srruggling to have a thicker skin.

Sharing relieves so much of the weight from their shoulders.

Never presume that your situation is the same a their's. You're probably not getting the full story as it haunts them to recall the whole thing.

Not trying to be a "dik", I feel you made my point for me. Either that or I have no conveyed my point clearly enough. Im just trying to promote a more positive outlook mindset through the ability to let stuff roll off. If you cannot do this, yes, you are right, you will have Psychological damage. Also why its such a problem today.

Also have previously "who am I to judge" because the life styles we live strongly dictates how things impact us mentally. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that the son of a millionaire is going to have a much different "mental / psychological makeup" from a child in Somalia fighting for their life at an early age.
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    My Childhood memories have made me an Amazing Parent as I have done everything opposite! Just today I had to respond to my Mama's oblivious mindset and tell her how it makes me feel!
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    _Just_Ash_ wrote: »
    lLBhA3r.jpg plus x6advHa.jpg plus iTI9vxJ.jpg equals 0Om6p0D.jpg

Although it doesn't haunt me to this day to be honest. If it did I'd be a broken man.

I knew about your leg..but adding those images kinda makes you get a super clear picture :(
    Im sorry you went through that :* you did turn out a supercool guy :)
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    _Just_Ash_ wrote: »
    lLBhA3r.jpg plus x6advHa.jpg plus iTI9vxJ.jpg equals 0Om6p0D.jpg

Although it doesn't haunt me to this day to be honest. If it did I'd be a broken man.

Ah, the fake leg. :lol:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    At 4, I grabbed a perkalator of coffee by the handle off the stove. It spilled all over me giving me 1st degree burns. And to this day...............I detest the smell and taste of coffee.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    At 4, I grabbed a perkalator of coffee by the handle off the stove. It spilled all over me giving me 1st degree burns. And to this day...............I detest the smell and taste of coffee.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Did you mean, third degree? The blisters and all? That's extremely painful :s
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,137 Member
    Options
    Hell, I don't have any good memories....alcoholic and abusive parents, abject poverty...had to begin working at 11, physical and sexual abuse, foster homes...but probably the worst was that my old man forced me to shoot my dog because I had done something wrong....I should have shot him....actually did once...bad memories???? Yeah, a few...
  • PeachesNcreamgal
    PeachesNcreamgal Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My parents put me in the care of my grandparents as they didn't have money to put me in creche/daycare. So my *kitten* grandpa used to molest me. Stick his fingers up my private parts and threaten to rape me. Thankfully, he died when I was 5. He wanted me to wear Indian clothes and not frocks or skirt blouse. Thats the reason he gave me when I asked him why he was abusing me.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    dc8066 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Did you mean, third degree? The blisters and all? That's extremely painful :s
    No, 1st degree. The coffee wasn't that hot, but left my skin red and painful.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    Wow, it is quite heart breaking to hear of many people's experiences. Thank-you for sharing tho, it's very humanizing
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I used to have a temp job in this sports shop a few years back. My contract ended after only being there for a month or so but after I left I got a text message from an unknown number. Turns out a guy that I worked with had taken my number out of the system behind my back and texted me like it was a completely normal thing to do. He told me that he done that and he thought I was pretty. He was about 26-27 at the time and I had just turned 19. It was a few months after it that I found out that he had also stalked my older brother's girlfriend.

Had another guy threaten to find me, kidnap me, rape and murder me online just because I called him an idiot in a joking way. It freaks me out to this day and I am terrified that he will find me.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I hate birds with a passion.

On separate incidences as a child, I was:

Chased and bitten by a swan
    Chased by geese
    Swarmed by pigeons
    Swooped by magpies
    Bitten by a seagull (trying to feed it a chip)

Now I have a fear of a bird flying in to my head and stabbing me in the skull with its beak..