May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• amc2509
    amc2509 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    A bit slow off the mark, but hoping to have more time this week!!

3/5/17 4.7K
    6/5/17 5K (TOTAL for May 9.7K)

exercise.png

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @claireariela - Welcome- there are others that will have more expert advice on getting started, but I usually recommend getting fitted at a running store for the right pair of running shoes for you and then starting with somethink like Couch to 5k app if it has been 5 years since you ran.

Is that on the "Mapmyrun" app? I've been looking for a good training programme to train for a run-walk 21k by Nov (thought that was the most realistic target). Does anyone have any suggestions?
    For run/walk, check out the Jeff Galloway run/walk programs. I see many people at events following this program. It has been successful for a few decades now.

I do a run/walk method currently to keep my HR efforts honest on my runs. Each run targets a HR zone and I set my Garmin to alert me when I hit the top of that zone, then I start walking until it chirps again when I hit the bottom of that zone, and repeat until finished. This is different than the Galloway method, but the results are similar.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    haasie99 wrote: »
    Hey, I've just decided that I want to get back into running and I don't even know where to begin now... any Ideas?!
    C25k is a program many have found successful at getting into running.
  • WhatMeRunning
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @PinkamenaD8 - The fatigue data I was referring to comes from an application called Sport Tracks which I started using about 18 months ago. Strava recently added free similar data points in a section called Fitness and Freshness, and a lot of other users here are using a free tool called Runalyze, but I have a bit of history on Sport Tracks now and am very familiar with it so I still prefer it. It is helpful to know a lot of things when starting to use such tools though, like your best estimated Max HR, and your lactate threshold pace. Knowing these can help true up the data to reality.

You don't need these though. For the most part you should have rest days or easy/recovery runs in between workouts. If you feel stiff in tge first mile of a run you should not be doing a workout that day.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Orphia that looks like an awesome walk!

5/1- 8.1
    5/2- 4.6
    5/3-9
    5/4- REST
    5/5- 5.7
    5/6-20.1
    5/7- 5
    5/8- 8.2

Total: 60.7

May Goal: Get through most of the last 5 weeks before taper healthy
    Nominal mileage goal: 220 Miles.

Today's notes: I really wasn't feeling it this run. My little guy decided to be a night owl last night and was awake, talking to himself until midnight or so, and I was up at 0400. Added to that, I overdressed this morning. I was expecting temps ~24F and it was actually 33F out...oh well, a little heat training maybe???

Today's assignment was 8 miles, with miles 4-6 "at Goal Marathon Pace." I had already spoken to the coach who made my plan and modified this. Since "GMP" for me is within my E range, he told me to run the GMP miles at the fast end of my E range, or faster, but not to run as fast as Steady State pace. Ultimately, this meant I ran miles 4-6 today at ~9:10 or just slower than GHMP for me. I ended up with an overall average pace of 9:22, because I was trying to take it a little easier during the non-GMP miles. I guess this must have worked, because average HR was only 152, so this still qualifies (just barely) as an Easy run. Now to caffeinate and start the day!

Have a Runderful day all!

2017 Races
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon (Full!)
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k<- yeah, I'm crazy enough to go for it
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    5/1: 3 miles
    5/2: 4 miles
    5/3: 4 miles
    5/4: 3 miles
    5/5: 3.8 miles
    5/6: 5 trail miles
    5/7: Begrudingly: a rest day
    5/8: More rest (for now!)

Called my chiro first thing this morning & left a message asking to get in for an adjustment today -- or at the very latest tomorrow -- rather than Thursday. I loosened up my back this morning a bit by taking a hot shower followed by applying a cooling gel and then I loaded up on ibuprofen, but 8+ hours at my desk at work is going to be hellish. Oh boy. Let's hope she calls me back soon!!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races
    5/14: Delaware Marathon Running Festival HM
    7/1: Finger Lake Fifties 50k (trail)
    10/8: Steamtown Marathon (BQ Attempt #3)

• ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @orphia - beautiful pics!
    @JessicaMcB - Sorry you got sick on run. I've heard of those Walden foods and they just seem weird to me -- no calories and no carbs...? So what is it?
    @kgirlhart - congrats! Well done!
    @ereck44 - sorry you didn't beat your PR but you still did it!
    @kristinegift - wise choice not run after being out so late!
    @haasie99 -- many of us, including me, started with the Couch 2 5K program. Don't get discouraged with the high mileage you see in here. Everyone is just trying to hit their own individual goal. You'll be amazed at how addictive running can be!

It was nice out this morning! By nice I mean, not much humidity! I stupidly scheduled a blood test for tomorrow morning, one of those where you have to fast for 12 hours prior. Tried to change it when I realized it was going to mess up my running, but everything is booked. So I won't be able to run in the morning and it looks like it will be 90 F after work... so I may move my rest day from Friday to tomorrow.

5/1 - 4 miles + strength training
    5/2 - 3.5 miles
    5/3 - 21 miles cycling
    5/4 - 5 miles + strength training
    5/5 - rest day
    5/6 - 34 miles cycling
    5/7 - 43 miles cycling
    5/8 - 4.6 miles + strength training

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    haasie99 wrote: »
    Hey, I've just decided that I want to get back into running and I don't even know where to begin now... any Ideas?!

Set a modest goal, get moving 3+ days a week and don't give up! Check in here regularly for inspiration and comradarie!

Welcome!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5.1 miles. Fizzled a bit at the end of April, but good start to May.
    5/2 - 4.1 miles of track/speed work. Then quick upper body weights.
    5/3 - 5 miles. Nice, comfortable run.
    5/4 - Rest day.
    5/5 - 5 miles. Beautiful morning!
    5/6 - 10 miles with a ridiculous amount of incline/decline. My *kitten* hurts!
    5/7 - Rest day. See yesterday.
    5/8 - 4.8 miles. Perfect weather at 4:30 a.m.

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @karllundy nice running!
  • snowyne
    snowyne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 3.5 mi.
    5/2 - rest
    5/3 - 6.2 mi
    5/4 - 4.5 mi.
    5/5 - 3.8 mi.
    5/6 - 3.1 (5K race)
    5/7 - rest
    5/8 - 5.2 mi.

May goal: 26.3/100mi.

Upcoming:
    5/6 - Erin's Run 5K (Bangor, ME.)
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    6 miles at easy effort today to continue this down week. It was nice today, although a bit warm and rather humid. Happy with the overall pace and I felt good, so things seem pretty well this week.

5/1 - 8 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles
    5/3 - 8 miles
    5/4 - 4 miles
    5/5 - rest
    5/6 - 9 miles
    5/7 - 4 miles
    5/8 - 6 miles

43 of 180 miles completed

exercise.png
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    May 8: 20.5 of 60 km.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Tracking my monthly "non-running" progress for accountability:

May 1 -P90X3 Total Synergistics + 20 minutes stretching and foam rolling
    May 2- P90X3 Agility+ 45 minutes stationary bike at gym (rolling hills, level 7)
    May 3- Swimming laps 25 minutes (500M)+P90X3 yoga (25 min) + 20 minutes stretching hamstrings
    May 4-25 minutes yoga/stretching+ 20 minute strength training + another 10 minutes stretching
    May 5- Swimming laps 25 minutes (600M)+25 minutes of hamstring work and 10 minutes stretching
    May 6- Rest day
    May 7-P90X3 Challenge+ 15 minutes of hamstring work
    May 8- Swimming laps 30 minutes (600M)

I did the P90X3 Challenge video yesterday, which is 30 minutes of continuous push ups and pull ups. I can do push-ups without much problem, but pull-ups are a different story, so I did the modification of using the resistance bands, which I loop around the console bar of my treadmill. All said and done, it was over 200 pulls and 120 push-ups and I felt them all on my swim this morning. I only did 600M, but I do feel like I am improving my technique, which is my main goal of each session. Holding the hair dryer to dry my hair afterwards was a workout of its own. This is the first time in months where my legs are not the sorest part of my body. I guess that's one way to make them feel better! However, they will get their workout tonight with another P90X3 video.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @Orphia Your 50k sounds like an incredible adventure! I wish I could see the photos, but for some reason they're x'ed out here at work. I would love to walk a 50k someday, but I'm nowhere near that point yet (best I've done so far is about 20k). Also, being in Illinois, there's no real elevation for me to train on. I had considered the Avon 39, which is 26.2 miles one day and 13.1 the next, but I decided against it, since I don't think I'd be able to handle two days in a row like that yet.

Anyway, have I mentioned how envious I am of you being in Austraila? I've always wanted to go there.

@lporter229 I was able to see the photos of your dog and hubby. What a cutie (the dog, that is... but I'm sure your hubs is cute too)! I'll bet she was so proud of herself.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,814 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    5/2-3 miles
    5/5-2 miles
    5/7-3 miles

Total-8/65miles

I'm thinking I wont hit my goal this month. I ended up with the flu this weekend, ugh, it hit on Friday at about 1130 out of nowhere. But I was feeling better yesterday so I mowed the lawn (its a big lawn too) tore up my garden to get it ready to be planted, then ran 3 miles. I really wanted to run more, but being as I just got over the flu, I decided to take it easy.

exercise.png

Training for
    5 mile womans run-5/13
    Missoula Marathon-7/9
    Montana Marathon-9/17
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    5/2 - 4 mile riverfront run, avg pace 8:36/mi.
    5/4 - 6 mile downtown run, avg pace 8:41/mi.
    5/6 - 3 mile greenway trail, avg pace 8:12/mi.
    5/7 - 6 mile neighborhood run, avg pace 9:01/mi.

19/80