5/3 - 3 miles
    5/4 - rest day
    5/5 - 2 miles
    5/6 - 5 miles - Steeple Chase 8K
    5/7 - rest day
    5/8 - 5 miles

25 of 60 miles

exercise.png

show notes: Pretty morning for a run, my quads let me know there were some hills on Saturday, but otherwise all good.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    @orphia Those pictures are awesome! I would love to do something like that some day!

@lporter229 The 5k I ran this weekend was to support our local animal shelter. They also had a "Furry Fun Run" where you could bring your dogs. Only one dog was there this year though. It was kind of sad. I think they have had more in past years. They changed the dates from Labor day weekend to May since that is the local "Frontiers Days" weekend so I think that a lot of people didn't know about it. We debated bringing our dogs for it, but our min pin doesn't always get along with other dogs and so we left them at home. We would have brought them if we had known there wouldn't be many other dogs.

One thing that I thought was a little odd about the race was that they had us run a loop through the cemetery. Has anyone ever run or walked in a cemetery? It was a nice place to run, but it seemed odd to me. There was a part of me that wondered if that was appropriate. I guess a cemetery is basically a park, but I don't know.
  • springtimez
    springtimez Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    05/03-- 2 miles
    05/05--2 miles
    05/07--3 miles
    The weather is getting better! Looking for longer runs!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @orphia Great pics and amazing that you can walk that far!

@haasie99 You say "get back into running" so I'm not sure how much experience you have from before....but I would say respect where your body is now and not try to recreate the past. Intervals are always a great way to get started running, but if you are super out of shape you might want to work on just walking before you even try intervals of running. Take rest days, let your body recover. You can do this and you'll learn lots if you hang around here :-D

May 1 - 30 min walk with 3 hills (am), 30 min light cardio (pm)
    May 2 - 30 min walk with 3 hills (am), 30 min strength+plyo workout (pm), 3 mile run (pm)
    May 3 - 30 min walk (am)
    May 4 - 40 min walk (am), 3 mile run (pm)
    May 5 - climbed 4 flights of stairs at hospital :-p stairs KILL ME
    May 6 - exhausted
    May 7 - no excuses.....
    May 8 - 30 min walk with 2 hills (am)

Pretty unhappy with how my Fri-Sun went. I should've done my strength workout Friday evening after my husband's surgery. Didn't. Saturday I was truly exhausted. Sunday, had church then a mid-afternoon graduation party, then decided I didn't feel like breaking a sweat :-/

ETA: I did have back pain yesterday but totally could've done SOMETHING.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @garygse - In 2016, I had an issue with my Garmin 620 losing battery life. It died on a couple of 13 mile runs. The good news is, even when the battery died it seemed to record the run right up to the point the battery bonked. I sent it in for a replacement, but needed a watch *RIGHT NOW* at the time, so I bought a 630 locally.

When the 620 replacement arrived, I ran once with both watches to verify that they were recording a run the same within the tolerance level of "I can't push buttons on both watches simultaneously." Since then, I've just recharged the 620 every week or two and kept it in reserved. I've had no battery problems with the 630, and I like some of the features added since the 620. But if the 630 dies, I have that replacement 620 in reserve so I have a watch while waiting for a better one to arrive in the mail.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp That's good to know that nothing is lost if the battery dies during a run. It was my fault for starting the run with too little juice on it in the first place, but it's all charged back up now. I am tempted by the new 935 though; the battery life on that one is greatly improved - 24 hours on GPS at 1-second sampling. Then I look at the price and I'm no longer quite so tempted.
  • 2tall4thisworld
    2tall4thisworld Posts: 123 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• claireariela
    claireariela Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ thanks! I will check them out! I've decided to commit to a series of 3 progressive 5K, 10K and 21K runs over the course of the rest of the year, so I will need it! :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    Thanks @girlinahat. The cemetery is near my house and in the area where I grew up. I used to go there a lot to look at the graves. There are a lot of interesting headstones from the 1800's and it is a really nice cemetery. There are also lots of roads. It might be a good place to run since there is little traffic and it would be pretty easy to avoid any busy times.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart- I have always wondered about running in cemeteries as well. They always look peaceful, have plenty of paths and are free of traffic. There is a cemetery near the running store I run from . On one of my long runs with the group, I needed to add an extra two miles, so I asked my running partner if he thought running there would be inappropriate and he thought it would be fine so I did. Aside from it being smaller than I realized and getting kind of monotonous, it was quite a nice run. There is a very big cemetery here in the Cincinnati area that has a nighttime 5K near Halloween every year. If they don't view that as disrespectful, then I guess we shouldn't worry.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    5/1 5.5mi 53:51min (interval run)
    5/2 5mi 44:35min
    5/3 rest
    5/4 5mi 44:20min
    5/5 4mi 37:27min
    5/6 11mi 1:43:14min
    5/7 rest <- but I spent 7 hours painting!!!
    5/8 7mi 1:06:29min

Did a slow easy 7 miles today. It was 60 degrees and sunny with a little breeze. Really nice running weather! I was exhausted going into the run from staying up until midnight painting my living and dining room. I just wanted to get it done! I'm actually quite sore from painting. I almost took another rest day, but I don't want to skip the longer mileage days since I really need to build up that endurance.

Going to bed early tonight! I've got 5 miles to do tomorrow.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @kgirlhart - Growing up my grandparents lived right across the street from a large cemetery. One of my uncles has been a marathoner since his teens and that was one of his regular training areas when he was high school and college aged while living there. My parents decided to take up running around 1980-81 and they also ran there regularly upon his advice because of the low traffic, quiet, beauty and you could come up with a fair amount of mileage by taking a few various loops through there. So I guess I never realized anyone had an issue running through a cemetery until now. There is a beautiful cemetery about 2 miles from my house but I have never run through it simply due to it being a bit small, and I have a lot of trail and park options within the same distance. I'll admit I have not heard of an event being held at a cemetery before though. For a solo runner though, I don't see how anyone could ever see it as a nuisance. I could understand if someone felt a bit creeped out running through one though, but if it doesn't do that, then I say enjoy the cemetery. They are open to the public.

ETA - I don't know if they ever ran around the cemetery at night. That might stir up some suspicions. And it might add some extra suspense to the Zombies Run app!!:grimace: