May 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks @mobycarp. It's good to know that running through a cemetery is fairly common and not something that is frowned on.

Great race reports @girlinahat and @_nikkiwolf_ !
  • nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Completed that 5K tonight! (last time I had stopped at 4K) Had a full day of work and I still went to run at 10pm. It was 3 celcius outside (in May wtf) which is 37F for you Americans. My ultimate goal is to run a sub 20 minute 5K but my current goal is a 25 minute 5K. I don't have a watch or anything but my approximate time by looking at the clock before leaving and arriving was 27 min 30 sec, so I am pretty happy!

exercise.png
    (should be 17 but it's slow to update)
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @snowyne and @kgirlhart Awesome jobs on your first 5K's.

I'm on TDY at Ft. Huachuca, AZ this week. I ran my first 4.25 miles since the Derby Marathon this morning.

Congrats @_nikkiwolf_on your marathon PR.
    Awesome work @KeepRunningFatboy
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @girlinahat That OX HM look likes a real challenge and a lot of fun. Can't believe the RD would turn down Flowers from a TuTu lady. LOL at your " I am never running again. "
    @_nikkiwolf_ great race report. I usually can't remember that much detail.

11.5 km run / 83m elevation - a repeat of a run from the first of the month, River bank to Mann Flat's at the far South End of Town and then looped back. Struggled for the first half and finally managed to get into the Grove and kicked up my pace for the final 2 km. I was 3 minutes slower than my previous runs on this route.

05/01 0 km – 160 km - 0 km – YTD 420.15
    05/01 11.5 km – 148.5 km - 11.5km
    05/02 5.5 km – 143.0 km - 17.0km
    05/03 10.0 km – 133.0 km - 27.0km
    05/04 7.5 km – 125.5 km - 34.50km
    05/07 7.0 km – 118.5 km - 41.50km
    05/08 11.5 km – 107.0 km - 53.0km – YTD 473.15 Riverbank to Mann Flats

exercise.png
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Great race report. I loved all of the detail. Super job of pr'ing by 11 minutes. And, all of this, after dealing with knee pain and sore feet. You are as tough as nails!
    @angmarie I hope that you feel better soon.
    @lporter229 Your dog seems proud to be displaying her medal. Great pic
    @girlinahat Your race looks like so much fun. It would have been over for me at the love tent....that is a great display of goodies.
    @greenolivetree Wow! Your family has been through a lot. Your husband had surgery again? I hope that he has a great recovery. I hope that you are taking care of yourself as well.

Thanks to all who have congratulated me. I really have appreciated the support that I have received here.
  • ereck44
    Options
    @ereck44 - I just did the Carmel Marathon. I know it is boring in some ways compared to the Mini, but it does have some advanatages. Sounds like you have run the Mini several times, but I always hear from those who do that it is just miserable on the track and that it is so crowded you never get to where you aren't worried about tripping on someone. Regardless, great job!!! Those are tough conditions and you did really well!

@girlinahat - Yeah right, "no more running" - ha! - and after they gave you brownies and cherry vodka mid race. Great race story ;)

Thank you. Do you live in the Indianapolis area? I ran the mini for the first time in 2014 and have participated since then. I remember that in the past that they capped the number of people who run. I wonder if that is still happening. It was more than I remember seeing in the past. The city also hadn't fixed all of the pot holes. So I really had to watch my feet. How many people run in Carmel? Is it a half/full marathon?

• ereck44
    Options
    May goal....50 miles

May 4...3.66 miles
    May 6...13.1 miles (Indianapolis mini-marathon), average pace at 12:24, av. max heart rate at 90%.
    May 7....3 miles (recovery run)
    May 8....8 miles (Monon Trail).... average pace at 11:52, average max heart rate at 86%.

Total: 27.76 miles

2017 races....5/6 Indianapolis mini-marathon....completed.
    5/20..Geist Reservoir Half Marathon

I know that I am supposed to rest this week, but really not feeling that sore today, maybe a little in my quads. I had spent 45 minutes today talking to the billing department of DirecTv (disputing a charge), and knew that I would feel better getting a run in today.

It was a beautiful day, cool (approx 58 degrees) and sunny. I decided to work on my pacing. Still plan to run another half in 2 weeks. This upcoming race will be a real test for me both mentally and physically. My plan was to run at a more tempo pace with intermittent sprints and then slow down to zone pace after 20 or 30 seconds, and repeat. I actually spent more time in zone than last Saturday, and my pace was faster. Hmmm. I may be on to something. I was a little tired afterward but not sore except in my quads.I am actually not that lacking in fitness. My plan is to take tomorrow off. I go back to work on Wednesday, and also work the weekend.

I have had a couple of days to reflect on Saturday's race. I was expecting to improve (my race time) each time and realized that it doesn't always happen: that every race is an opportunity to learn something new. I think that I am going to work on some agility drills, maybe find a hill (rare in Indianapolis) and work on sprints.

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Thanks! How long till your marathon?

@garygse Cheers! 12.99 miles is 20.90 km to me, so not quite so grating on my OCD. :smile:

@ddmom0811 Thanks! You could run "fasted" before your blood test. Some people seem to think it trains their bodies to run on fat during long distances, though I'm a bit skeptical. @Stoshew71 ?

@lporter229 Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Yes, my walk was awesome! Still buzzing! :smile:
    Hahaha, at "the Kenyans"! :smile:

@RespectTheKitty Aww, you're so nice! I wish you could see my photos too!

We all need to hook up on Facebook! If you know me on Strava, you can find me on FB.

@_nikkiwolf_ Thanks, sweetie! :smile: Bravo on your marathon!!! Absolutely fantastic! No wonder you were better on the hills than the pacers. I'm always in awe of your Strava elevation. :smile: And, "Lake Geneva to the Finland Station, she's a West End girl". I've got a London friend who did the half, and she was a bit down about the lack of crowd support too. Love what you wrote about the crowds spurring you on at the end! Great recap, brilliant race! Well done on a PB!! xx

@kgirlhart Thank you! I've done a few runs running past cemeteries. Oh, and one run I went in one on my own to take photos. But no events in one, no. Kind of cool, in a punk/gothic sort of way. :smile:

@greenolivetree Thank you! I've just built up my walking, hiking, and running gradually, over the past couple of years. Every little bit you do leads somewhere. You're making progress for sure.

@girlinahat Absolutely epic run report and pics!

@katharmonic "Angry Unicorn" half marathon! Oh, wow, I hope I haven't missed any discussion on that. I must google.

I'm planning another big walk next month. It's a relay. You have a team of 8, and need 4 people on the course the whole time. You don't all have to do the full walk, which is lucky, since it's 80 km over 2 days. I did it last year, and managed half. Thinking I'll try and go further this time, but not sure about the full thing. Yes, it's in the mountains.

I've had 3 days off with just light walking since my 50 km walk. Dying for a run tomorrow, and planning one!

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    08/05 - 3.5mile very hilly run (100mtr in first 12 minutes), followed with Interval, Arms & Core
    09/05 - 5.3 mile in 41mins, hit the wrong button on my TM after a speed increase, which stopped my 6 mile attempt short ... doh ... well above target speed for 10K in 50 mins though, although it was killing me not so softly

exercise.png

Completed
    11/03 - 10K Run The Solar System (thanks for the tip) - 52:01
    12/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 1  ) - 1:54:02
    25/03 - TM Half Marathon (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 2  ) - 1:53:53
    15/04 - TM Easter Bunny support run (plugged in the MK HM route - attempt 2  ) - 1:59:03
    01/05 - Milton Keynes HM - 1:55:30
    Coming up:
    • 18/06 - Run-Bedford-Run - 10K
    • 02/09 - Bedford HM
    • 24/09 - Windsor HM

@lporter229 - love the pics, and the idea of the Flying Fur run - I am certain that would improve my pace, as we got a mix Greyhound :)
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_

That was awesome. Congrats!!
  • SweetSassyJen
    SweetSassyJen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    May goal: 50 miles
    May 9: 3.6 miles
    May total: 17.95 miles
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Nothing exciting to report this morning; several miles of warm-up, then met up with the group and ran five miles, followed by a faster mile or so at the end.

01 - 13.50
    02 - 10.58
    03 - 13.49
    04 - 9.80
    05 - 20.14
    08 - 12.99
    09 - 9.77

Total: 90.27 / 225 miles
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Tracking my monthly "non-running" progress for accountability:

May 1 -P90X3 Total Synergistics + 20 minutes stretching and foam rolling
    May 2- P90X3 Agility+ 45 minutes stationary bike at gym (rolling hills, level 7)
    May 3- Swimming laps 25 minutes (500M)+P90X3 yoga (25 min) + 20 minutes stretching hamstrings
    May 4-25 minutes yoga/stretching+ 20 minute strength training + another 10 minutes stretching
    May 5- Swimming laps 25 minutes (600M)+25 minutes of hamstring work and 10 minutes stretching
    May 6- Rest day
    May 7-P90X3 Challenge+ 15 minutes of hamstring work
    May 8- Swimming laps 30 minutes (600M)+ P90X3 CVX (Cardio) +22 minutes stretching

Not much to report from last night's P90X3 workout. It was a weighted cardio workout. Kind of fun, kind of hard in places, but overall a nice change of pace. Heading to the gym to bike and do some weights this evening.

@girlinahat and @_nikkiwolf_ -Thanks for taking the time to write the race recaps. I will definitely make time to read them over lunch. Looking forward to all of the details!
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    5/1 - 5.1 miles. Fizzled a bit at the end of April, but good start to May.
    5/2 - 4.1 miles of track/speed work. Then quick upper body weights.
    5/3 - 5 miles. Nice, comfortable run.
    5/4 - Rest day.
    5/5 - 5 miles. Beautiful morning!
    5/6 - 10 miles with a ridiculous amount of incline/decline. My *kitten* hurts!
    5/7 - Rest day. See yesterday.
    5/8 - 4.8 miles. Perfect weather at 4:30 a.m.
    5/9 - 5 miles of track / speed work. Then upper body weights / abs.

exercise.png
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @girlinahat that was an amazing race report! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

@_nikkiwolf_ awesome race report and congrats on the marathon PR!!!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Today kinda sucked. It was not a full on slog, but my feet felt heavy and I was slow and extra jiggly feeling (dang extra weight). I kept my effort honest though and did not try to push through on anything.

5/1 - 8 miles
    5/2 - 4 miles
    5/3 - 8 miles
    5/4 - 4 miles
    5/5 - rest
    5/6 - 9 miles
    5/7 - 4 miles
    5/8 - 6 miles
    5/9 - 4 miles

47 of 180 miles completed

exercise.png