For the future: "Help I stalled posts"..read this

Options
JohnnyLowCarb
JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
edited May 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Everyone loves the first few weeks of a committed diet. The pounds do shed off and the motivation is extremely high. Then it happens. Your doing everything right and you hit a perceived stall. You freak out (at least I did), you post on the boards to find out what is happening! What to do. First relax, take a huge deep breath and buy these! I have been in a four week "weight stall", but my body fat has gone down 2%. I think everyone should buy one of these - around $35. Yep, thats it and the peace of mind it will buy w5d6axp0j6td.jpeg

Replies

• JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Okay, but neither are good indicators of lower levels of body fat.

The omron uses BIA which can vary wildly depending on your hydration levels. Especially if you're doing keto as stated in the OP.

A measuring tape (especially on the abdomen) can also vary depending on the time of day, food consumed, time of the month, food intolerances, etc.

Then I guess there are absolutely nothing out there to help you to get away from the scale numbers. Sorry. Works for me though
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    edited May 2017
    Options
    akoivisto wrote: »
    As you stated, it could move you away from just the scale. Funny... the scale can vary depending on... hydration level, time of day, food consumed, time of the month, food intolerance...

Exactly!!! You are so correct about the scale and hydration levels.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    Not so rainbow. The closer people get to their ideal weight the scale will be more of a lying enemy of their progress. And if you have been on these boards you will see so many new to the weight loss journey get discouraged and give up after a perceived stall. When in fact they are still making progress but the scale said otherwise. So newbies and frustrated stallers the scale is not the best indicator and should not de-motivate you. Keep up on your plan and use other tools to gauge your progress
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I got the Omron body fat monitor. While I understand it's not the most accurate tool, I plan on using it same time each week( early mornings) and see what happens. Tape measure never really works well for me because I'm never sure if I'm measuring on the same spot.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10544350/body-fat

Here's an example of what can happen to people when trying to get their body fat % from something that may not be accurate.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    I got the Omron body fat monitor. While I understand it's not the most accurate tool, I plan on using it same time each week( early mornings) and see what happens. Tape measure never really works well for me because I'm never sure if I'm measuring on the same spot.

That's perfect @Ironandwine69
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Could always use a trend app (libra - free, happyscale - free) and take pics (free). Just my $0.02.

I like you accounted for inflation! Yep a trend app for the scale could work but again it's tied to the scale. I knew a person who lost a dress size at the same time the trend app showed a weight increase.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »
    Could always use a trend app (libra - free, happyscale - free) and take pics (free). Just my $0.02.

I like you accounted for inflation! Yep a trend app for the scale could work but again it's tied to the scale. I knew a person who lost a dress size at the same time the trend app showed a weight increase.

But you are also advocating using an electronic device as a measurement system as well correct?
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    johnnylew wrote: »

But you are also advocating using an electronic device as a measurement system as well correct?

Yes but two that measure something other than weight alone.