For the future: "Help I stalled posts"..read this

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Tape measure never really works well for me because I'm never sure if I'm measuring on the same spot.

Same here. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

Scale always worked fine for me, but photos and clothes can work too (to supplement OP's point, I guess).

When I started I had a few pairs of jeans, same brand, in different sizes, so used those as motivation. I currently have one tight pair and my next goal is for them to be not tight. I know water weight affects this some, but it still works.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    johnnylew wrote: »
    bagge72 wrote: »
    Some people really baffle me on MFP they do not seem to be here for support. But I am sure most people will make up there minds listen to reason and push through to their goals

Couple of questions. 1st, what kind of support is this "First relax, take a huge deep breath and buy these!" How is telling somebody to buy something so supportive, instead of trying to actually explain to them why something is happening to them, and then recommending what to do? Where was the information for what you recommended? You didn't tell anybody why you used them, how to use them to be most accurate, why they are helpful, and how it could help them change what they are doing if they stall is from something like inaccurate logging, or tracking of calories burnt or consumed. 2nd what kind of particular support you are personally looking for with this post?

So yeah I guess I'm missing out on the support part. Because I could easily just make a post saying "buy this" and show a picture of a food scale, but if there isn't any context to it, I'm not supporting anybody, just trying to get somebody to buy something.

Omg!!! Literally the funniest thing I read so far. You assume people cannot think for themselves and YOU are the only one with the intelligence to hold their hand and explain it - like they are a four year old. I give people more respect than that.

hmmm...

people actually are not that educated on weight loss vs fat loss and how to do it in a healthy manner...so yah we usually explain it...

it's not about respect it's about not being ignorant about these boards and what typically is on them.

most people don't care about bf% btw...they only care about scale weight...

But should they? That's all I am saying and trying to say keep motivated don't let the scale stop you. You could be making progress but the scale is making you feel otherwise. It is often water retention that the scale will discourage some when in fact they are making progress. It's not a scale weight people are seeking Its to look and feel better.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Some people really baffle me on MFP they do not seem to be here for support. But I am sure most people will make up there minds listen to reason and push through to their goals

Couple of questions. 1st, what kind of support is this "First relax, take a huge deep breath and buy these!" How is telling somebody to buy something so supportive, instead of trying to actually explain to them why something is happening to them, and then recommending what to do? Where was the information for what you recommended? You didn't tell anybody why you used them, how to use them to be most accurate, why they are helpful, and how it could help them change what they are doing if they stall is from something like inaccurate logging, or tracking of calories burnt or consumed. 2nd what kind of particular support you are personally looking for with this post?

So yeah I guess I'm missing out on the support part. Because I could easily just make a post saying "buy this" and show a picture of a food scale, but if there isn't any context to it, I'm not supporting anybody, just trying to get somebody to buy something.

Omg!!! Literally the funniest thing I read so far. You assume people cannot think for themselves and YOU are the only one with the intelligence to hold their hand and explain it - like they are a four year old. I give people more respect than that.

hmmm...

people actually are not that educated on weight loss vs fat loss and how to do it in a healthy manner...so yah we usually explain it...

it's not about respect it's about not being ignorant about these boards and what typically is on them.

But should they? That's all I am saying and trying to say keep motivated don't let the scale stop you. You could be making progress but the scale is making you feel otherwise. It is often water retention that the scale will discourage some when in fact they are making progress. It's not a scale weight people are seeking Its to look and feel better.

That goes both ways. Especially with Keto. If you don't know your maintenance figure, and your intake you are just as susceptible to thinking you're making progress when you are, in fact, gaining fat. Granted that's only for the first month or so but it's a pretty critical time to be ignorant to the law (not opinion) of thermodynamics.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'm not understanding some of the grief directed at the OP. Some people might find the device effective and would like to try it. What's the big deal if they do? Its their money and their weight loss and their lesson to learn if it doesn't work. Its not like he's advocating ACV pills on top of a super low calorie diet. It isn't dangerous, right? Have the ones against the device tried it and found it didn't work? I could understand the protests, then.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    I'm not understanding some of the grief directed at the OP. Some people might find the device effective and would like to try it. What's the big deal if they do? Its their money and their weight loss and their lesson to learn if it doesn't work. Its not like he's advocating ACV pills on top of a super low calorie diet. It isn't dangerous, right? Have the ones against the device tried it and found it didn't work? I could understand the protests, then.

I think most people have an issue with the substitution of one measuring gadget for another creating more confusion. There are a lot of variables that come into play and the real answer is thermodynamics. No way around that.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

hmmm...

What happens if your BF% stays the same? and how does that help with the look and feel? Doesn't water retention affect your BF% measurements as well? All serious questions as to why this is the best method.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

hmmm...

And what happens when they get wildly varying results from this device due to the afore-mentioned difference in hydration levels and the general inaccuracy of these types of devices? If a person is scared by normal fluctuations on the scale, fluctuations of their perceived body-fat percentage will certainly not help.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    fascha wrote: »

I think most people have an issue with the substitution of one measuring gadget for another creating more confusion. There are a lot of variables that come into play and the real answer is thermodynamics. No way around that.

This is the best post on the thread! YES - there are alot of variables in our journey's. So do not rely simply on one means. It is absolutely true that CICO is the only means to lose weight, lose fat. But even during a CICO deficit you can/will run into a situation where the mathematical formula doesnt show on weight scale. The body doesnt seem to respond like computer. But if you are in a CICO deficit, you will lose weight/fat. A BMI/Fat monitor may indicate as such even though the scale says no.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

What confusion would it create, exactly? Its another method of determining weight loss. There are a lot of variables which is why we tell newbies freaking out because they haven't lost any scale weight to take pictures or use a measuring tape. This is a more expensive option than pictures or a measuring tape but if someone wants to put out the $$, where is the harm? Its their money and their decision. I read it as the OP just presenting another option.
  • inertiastrength
    Options

This is the best post on the thread! YES - there are alot of variables in our journey's. So do not rely simply on one means. It is absolutely true that CICO is the only means to lose weight, lose fat. But even during a CICO deficit you can/will run into a situation where the mathematical formula doesnt show on weight scale. The body doesnt seem to respond like computer. But if you are in a CICO deficit, you will lose weight/fat. A BMI/Fat monitor may indicate as such even though the scale says no.

I agree that even understanding CICO it's never linear but depending on how hydrated you are your weight and bf% will vary (sometimes by a lot) The best method is your data. Some weeks I gain 2lbs but I know I'm eating 1500 calories and over about a month I will see that weekly I lose 1.25lbs which is the best indicator. I guess the best answer to the "I stalled" problem may just be time and data.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    Ok Ok Ok...if I could I would simply delete this post. It worked for me! If I simplied relied on the scale I would be discouraged since the scale says I am stalled. Even though I have been in a calorie deficit, I log everything into MFP, I weigh my food on scale. I use a BMI/Fat monitor and see that everything is still progressing. My BMI is the same but my fat percentage is down. Maybe because I am weight training so the heavier muscle has compensated for the stalled weight. Holy cow people - it worked for me - thats all. I thought others would get the same peace of mind, but by your posts : I WAS CLEARLY WRONG.....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

hmmm...

Their choice as they are adults....

should they...imo no...but I don't think BF% is the end all either...neither are measurements...

There are a lot fo ways to measure progress...my suggestion is to always look at them all...and take an overall pic of what they are telling you...

When I first started it was scale...then it was bf% then it was the weight on the bar...

I learned none of it matters if it is stressing you out...
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

What confusion would it create, exactly? Its another method of determining weight loss. There are a lot of variables which is why we tell newbies freaking out because they haven't lost any scale weight to take pictures or use a measuring tape. This is a more expensive option than pictures or a measuring tape but if someone wants to put out the $$, where is the harm? Its their money and their decision. I read it as the OP just presenting another option.

I'm not sure there's a difference between OP's "buy this" and the ensuing "no, don't buy it". They're both opinions that can be used to inform a choice. This is a public forum and people are free to disagree and post their own opinion.

If I was wanting to buy such a device, I'd welcome a variety of opinions and advice to inform my choice.

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10544350/body-fat

Here's an example of what can happen to people when trying to get their body fat % from something that may not be accurate.

Oh please!!!