Say goodbye to sugar

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    tacha956 wrote: »
    Let's face it one of the biggest reasons why we gain weight are sugar and fats...let's say goodbye to them and move forward to a healthier and better life

Actually is sugar and carbs that convert to sugar. Limit those and I promise you will see results fast.

Guess what? All carbs convert to sugar in the body.
  • Hthrbee1978
    Hthrbee1978 Posts: 26 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    But I like sugar and fats.. : (

Healthy fats are fine, but most sugars are superfluous.

"Because sugar is such a major source of empty calories, however, the American Heart Association recommends certain daily limits. If you’re male, you should have no more than 150 calories from sugar daily; this equates to 9 teaspoons or about 38 grams. As a woman, you shouldn’t have more than 100 calories, which is 6 teaspoons or 25 grams of sugar each day. These limitations only apply to added sugar, though, not to naturally occurring sugars."
    Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/458616-how-much-sugar-is-your-body-supposed-to-take-in-a-day/

So certain sugars are special? I'm sorry, but to me, cutting out sugar means cutting out ALL sugar, no exceptions. OP made no restrictions on what sorts of sugar or fat.

The website I pulled from indicated fruit sugars are okay, and I agree to a point, but also fit them into my Keto diet, having a few berries here and there while staying under 20 grams of carbs per day.

Even the keto diet doesn't purport to be zero sugar though, does it? You still get a few grams here and there from fruits & veggies, right? That doesn't seem to be equivalent to what the OP is talking about. And it doesn't address the misinformation that sugar doesn't cause fat gains outside of a calorie surplus. I think you're trying to help, but since the OP is so focused on removing both sugar and fat, I'm not sure that white knighting her diet plan is the way to go.

The keto diet encourages the extreme reduction in the amount of white sugar, and even fruit sugars that are consumed. I didn't encourage the reduction of sugars to zero, as it's next to impossible.
  • PikaJoyJoy
    PikaJoyJoy Posts: 280 Member
    Let's face it one of the biggest reasons why we gain weight are sugar and fats...let's say goodbye to them and move forward to a healthier and better life

Actually is sugar and carbs that convert to sugar. Limit those and I promise you will see results fast.

The only fast results you'd probably see is due to reduced glycogen.
  • Hthrbee1978

"Because sugar is such a major source of empty calories, however, the American Heart Association recommends certain daily limits. If you’re male, you should have no more than 150 calories from sugar daily; this equates to 9 teaspoons or about 38 grams. As a woman, you shouldn’t have more than 100 calories, which is 6 teaspoons or 25 grams of sugar each day. These limitations only apply to added sugar, though, not to naturally occurring sugars."
    Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/458616-how-much-sugar-is-your-body-supposed-to-take-in-a-day/

So certain sugars are special? I'm sorry, but to me, cutting out sugar means cutting out ALL sugar, no exceptions. OP made no restrictions on what sorts of sugar or fat.

The website I pulled from indicated fruit sugars are okay, and I agree to a point, but also fit them into my Keto diet, having a few berries here and there while staying under 20 grams of carbs per day.

OP wants to say goodbye to sugar. Sugar is sugar whether from blackberries or beets. Even if you don't eat any sugar, your body is going to make a form of sugar to survive, so you can't get away from it if you want to be alive.

I never advocated total elimination of any food. Ketogenesis occurs when your body begins to burn fat as fuel instead of carbs. So it IS possible to reduce sugar, but I never advocate to cut out anything entirely. That is the way to set oneself up to fail.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited May 2017
    Are you talking about foods with a lot added sugar and a lot of unnecessary extra fat? Things like sugary desserts and fried foods? (As opposed to foods with sugar and fat in them, like fruits, vegetables, meats, and olive oil.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Reduce carbs, keep everything else the same: if you were at maintenance, you will lose.

Reduce fat, keep everything else the same: if you were at maintenance, you will lose.

Reduce a combination of fat and carbs, keep everything else the same: if you were at maintenance, you will lose.

Any of these, depending on personal preference works fine. No reason to pick one over the other other than personal diet (what is in excess the most) and personal preference (what would you miss most/find hardest to do)?

You can also lower protein, but for most people it's probably not as good an idea.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

No thank you. I prefer to eat a balanced diet.
  • mandabeth34
    mandabeth34 Posts: 158 Member
    Next you're going to tell me to abolish booze. Nah. I like moderation, regular exercise, with the occasional indulge.
  • Hthrbee1978
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Even the keto diet doesn't purport to be zero sugar though, does it? You still get a few grams here and there from fruits & veggies, right? That doesn't seem to be equivalent to what the OP is talking about. And it doesn't address the misinformation that sugar doesn't cause fat gains outside of a calorie surplus. I think you're trying to help, but since the OP is so focused on removing both sugar and fat, I'm not sure that white knighting her diet plan is the way to go.

The keto diet encourages the extreme reduction in the amount of white sugar, and even fruit sugars that are consumed. I didn't encourage the reduction of sugars to zero, as it's next to impossible.

The keto diet also encourages (requires, really) a dramatic increase in fat, so I'm not sure what this has to do with OP's suggestion. Clearly, if you are keto, you aren't doing what she suggested.

As I said initially "Healthy fats are fine".. those are the fats that I have increased. Olive oil, butters, creams, avocados, peanut butter etc.. I was simply attempting to inform the OP that fats are not the "enemy". But again, everything in moderation. Obviously on a keto diet the Macros are skewed toward fats, and having lost 15 lbs in a little under 2 months while beginning antidepressants and birth control and not changing my lifestyle aside from dietary changes, it seems to be working for me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The keto diet also encourages (requires, really) a dramatic increase in fat, so I'm not sure what this has to do with OP's suggestion. Clearly, if you are keto, you aren't doing what she suggested.

As I said initially "Healthy fats are fine".. those are the fats that I have increased. Olive oil, butters, creams, avocados, peanut butter etc.. I was simply attempting to inform the OP that fats are not the "enemy". But again, everything in moderation. Obviously on a keto diet the Macros are skewed toward fats, and having lost 15 lbs in a little under 2 months while beginning antidepressants and birth control and not changing my lifestyle aside from dietary changes, it seems to be working for me.

I'm not slamming keto or eating fat (check my diary). I'm saying that clearly what you are talking about is not what OP is recommending and what people are reacting to.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    OP. Join the low carber daily MFP group. That is where most keto'ers hang out. Discussing why LCHF or ketosis may be a good thing does not often go over well on the main boards. Most keto'ers avoid it for that reason. The LCD group has quite a few keto'ers - they'll get what you are saying.