Calories burned cleaning (light effort) for five or six hours?

Options

Replies

• annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I quit worrying about logging exercise or unusual activity when I started wearing my phone with its step counter everywhere and linked it. Of course, now I'm obsessed with keeping the thing on me, and not all my clothes have appropriate pockets.. *sigh*. But it does seem to be doing a fairly good job telling me how much I'm moving and how much I can afford to eat.
    Yup, it's my Saturday morning leggings with no phone pocket that get me. I actually prefer my phone to a fitbit, as it doesn't catch arm movements as steps. I liked my Misfit for the same reason, but it was built pretty poorly and didn't last.

Anyway, this horse is dead, regardless of if people want to keep beating it.

• Charabz69
    Charabz69 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    I'm sweaty and exausted after a solid hour gym session and I barely get 200 calories from my heart rate monitor. I would say it wouldn't be much more than that.

Are you lifting weights though as opposed to cardio?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    KateTii wrote: »
    I'm sweaty and exausted after a solid hour gym session and I barely get 200 calories from my heart rate monitor. I would say it wouldn't be much more than that.

Unless you are close to the same height and weight as the OP, your burns are not relevant.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I just want to point out in response to an earlier post that using a rowing machine at the gym is seated activity. I still log it, and for good reason!

You don't need to be on your feet to increase your calorific expenditure.

I've used a rowing machine before, and i couldn't compare the exertion of that to light housework.

Maybe my idea of light is different than most people. Then again I can easily do 4-6hrs at a gym and I consider 4 hrs of exercise moderate and 2 hrs light. I usually do 2+ hrs at the gym when I go and I log it as light exercise.

It's the intensity of exercise that would determine light or moderate, not the duration.

Yeah and it's usually pretty intense but I log it as intense.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    Who is the dork flagging all the OP's responses as abuse? Hint: it's not.

I didn't notice lol. But that's pretty hilarious. The closest to abuse I thought on the entire thread from anyway was the one I just responded to - telling overweight people not to eat back exercise calories if they're netting 1200... only because that's dangerous advice and could lead to an eating disorder

That was not abuse. It was my personal opinion. You asked for it, I answer. If you don't like it doesn't mean it's abuse. It doesn't mean than netting negative calories for ONE day will cause an eating disorder either. Have you gotten an eating disorder when you've been sick and haven't eaten for a day or two?
    Just for the record I am not the one who is flagging you as abuse.

It doesn't matter and you're not supposed to encourage anyone to eat under 1200 it's against mfp rules
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I am in the camp log what you want...if you over estimate exercise you won't lose or gain...then you learn a lesson.

easy peasy.

I don't and never had logged cleaning...I figure if I burn that many calories cleaning I don't get ot log it as punishment for needing to clean that hard...but that's me.

Lol Punishment? that's them most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard. I have three kids, 2 with disabilities and 5 people in a teeny tiny basement apartment. We have so much stuff it's overflowing which is why I needed to sort so much and get rid of a lot of stuff because Ive run out of places to put it.

you didn't get the whole sense of haha in my last part apparently...*rolls eyes* and totally missed the part where I said log it if you want....at the calories you want...

I do over 10k steps in a day without exercise and let my fitbit take care of it...doesn't mean I am eating those calories...I know better but hey I've only lost 50+lbs and maintained it for almost 3 years what do I know.

ps having 2 kids with disabilities has no bearing on the calories you burned cleaning you know that right?

You said you'd punish yourself for needing to clean. I have reasons I need to clean so much. And I've lost 45lbs so what's your point that has nothing to do with anything
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm going to repeat myself as I think it got lost but you have said you are losing over 2lbs per week. You are currently around 180lbs? So how can 1500 calories be anywhere close to too much?

And just by virtue of the fact you talk about this openly means that you yourself are advocating netting under 1200.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Log it if you want, but Fitbit registers steps sometimes when you move your arms and it really doesn't give an appropriate calorie count... like when folding laundry, doing dishes, or petting the dog. Fitbit will give you a calorie burn that would assume that you're using your whole body (ie, walking), and not just your arms.

That being said, I just sync MFP and fitbit, check the 'calories left' on Fitbit (MFP typically gives me 200 extra calories, which would wipe off my deficit), and try to eat that. *shrug*

My Fitbit doesn't do that. I've tried it tested it for an hr staring at it and my phone app the entire time. The steps are accurate.
  • MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    not read all the replies, just wanted to say that if sorting washing and clean bedrooms was a good calorie burn Id be under weight by now, 5 kids and a husband to sort clothes for and clean up after leaves me warn out and very sweaty.............i still dont log it..........its NOT a work out, its life
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I'm going to repeat myself as I think it got lost but you have said you are losing over 2lbs per week. You are currently around 180lbs? So how can 1500 calories be anywhere close to too much?

And just by virtue of the fact you talk about this openly means that you yourself are advocating netting under 1200.

I'm definitely not. I said I net 1200 and the entire point is me trying to keep my net close to 1200 not under but not 1500. Hence trying to figure out what was burned - same as I would any other exercise.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am in the camp log what you want...if you over estimate exercise you won't lose or gain...then you learn a lesson.

easy peasy.

I don't and never had logged cleaning...I figure if I burn that many calories cleaning I don't get ot log it as punishment for needing to clean that hard...but that's me.

Lol Punishment? that's them most ridiculous thing Ive ever heard. I have three kids, 2 with disabilities and 5 people in a teeny tiny basement apartment. We have so much stuff it's overflowing which is why I needed to sort so much and get rid of a lot of stuff because Ive run out of places to put it.

you didn't get the whole sense of haha in my last part apparently...*rolls eyes* and totally missed the part where I said log it if you want....at the calories you want...

I do over 10k steps in a day without exercise and let my fitbit take care of it...doesn't mean I am eating those calories...I know better but hey I've only lost 50+lbs and maintained it for almost 3 years what do I know.

ps having 2 kids with disabilities has no bearing on the calories you burned cleaning you know that right?

You said you'd punish yourself for needing to clean. I have reasons I need to clean so much. And I've lost 45lbs so what's your point that has nothing to do with anything

that was a joke FYI...again missed the humor...

My point in saying how much I've lost and maintained for the length of time I Have is mainly in the maintenance.

Losing is the easy part and in order to get used to maintenance not doing stuff while losing that you wouldn't do while maintaining is a good rule of thumb to follow.

For example I burn wood and we do the wood typically in the fall for a couple of days...so there I am in the woods throwing wood on a truck, piling it, throwing it off etc...I don't record that as an extra calorie burn even tho it's not a common occurance for me because I know that the logging of food being done has errors and that there is no way to really know what the burn was so I err on the side of caution.

Do I eat a bit more that day...sure...but my eating is based on hunger not "burned calories" from an activity that is not common but part of life and not purposeful exercise.

But as I said in my first post you log what you want how you want and if you lose great...if you don't then you know why...it's that easy but it's been made very difficult due to some attitude.

• Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

easy peasy.

that was a joke FYI...again missed the humor...

My point in saying how much I've lost and maintained for the length of time I Have is mainly in the maintenance.

Losing is the easy part and in order to get used to maintenance not doing stuff while losing that you wouldn't do while maintaining is a good rule of thumb to follow.

For example I burn wood and we do the wood typically in the fall for a couple of days...so there I am in the woods throwing wood on a truck, piling it, throwing it off etc...I don't record that as an extra calorie burn even tho it's not a common occurance for me because I know that the logging of food being done has errors and that there is no way to really know what the burn was so I err on the side of caution.

Do I eat a bit more that day...sure...but my eating is based on hunger not "burned calories" from an activity that is not common but part of life and not purposeful exercise.

But as I said in my first post you log what you want how you want and if you lose great...if you don't then you know why...it's that easy but it's been made very difficult due to some attitude.

I've already maintained my weight. The only reason I gained was from injury and immobility. Anyway thanks for the input. Keep up the great work maintaining and with your healthier lifestyle.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I'm definitely not. I said I net 1200 and the entire point is me trying to keep my net close to 1200 not under but not 1500. Hence trying to figure out what was burned - same as I would any other exercise.

It doesn't matter what you THINK you're netting or grossing. Your losses show a completely different story. You need over a 1000 calorie per day deficit. I know what my sedentary TDEE was when I was your weight and it most certainly was not enough to be netting 1200 to achieve losses of more than 2lbs per week.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I just want to know how you get such a high calorie burn. I walk 6 miles or 17,000+ step a day according to my fit watch its only 500-700 calories I'm currently 215lbs so wth am I doing wrong lol. & yes everyone I know watches are not accurate
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options

It doesn't matter what you THINK you're netting or grossing. Your losses show a completely different story. You need over a 1000 calorie per day deficit. I know what my sedentary TDEE was when I was your weight and it most certainly was not enough to be netting 1200 to achieve losses of more than 2lbs per week.

Um yeah well I averaged 1500-1600 calories net as far as I know and lost 2.16lbs the last time I weighed in. I lost 3.5lbs per week when I first stuck to 1200 calories per day I was only taking 2000-4000 steps per day at that time and I was 225lbs when I started. I lost 21lbs in 6 weeks. The only exercise I did AT ALL during that time was 30mins of Zumba for 12 days during the 6 weeks. Other than that I was sedentary (under 5000 steps per day) and I lost 3.5lbs per week. I tend to lose faster than you, so what? Everyone's body is different and all we have our averages. I have seen my dr multiple times during my weight loss and my dr has been okay with me losing 2lbs per week, my activity and my calories. I just saw her again in the last month. I can only guess at how much I burn through exercise so idk what to tell you that's why Im logging cleaning? Because I already lose easily so I dont want to make myself sick. That's the entire point of this thread.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    It cant fall under activity level if you dont use your true activity level on MFP or let it decide for you and you eat under your BMR at a level you chose (1200 in my case). That's what people were also ignoring.

Um ... people shouldn't do that.
  • Verity1111
    edited May 2017
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    I just want to know how you get such a high calorie burn. I walk 6 miles or 17,000+ step a day according to my fit watch its only 500-700 calories I'm currently 215lbs so wth am I doing wrong lol. & yes everyone I know watches are not accurate

My watch works for me. I eat back my calories and go by what it says and usually lose. I just don't trust it for cleaning calories. It seemed way too high...but idk. Maybe it's right and I just tend to burn more because I am so incredibly out of shape. lol. I have no clue. wait 17000 steps is about 8 miles.... thats not far off 700 calories. Mine would probably say 700-1000 but still.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    It cant fall under activity level if you dont use your true activity level on MFP or let it decide for you and you eat under your BMR at a level you chose (1200 in my case). That's what people were also ignoring.

Um ... people shouldn't do that.

I agree, I'm glad your losing weight OP but it might be better to use the calculation MFP gives you. Did you try it and it wasn't working? Just genuinely curious why you chose to input your own.