HCG progress and updates - for people on it or thinking abou

Options

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Had anyone had any bad side effects? I read some scary stories,guess I shouldn't have..I ordered my drops,haven't received them yet...Now I'm spooked

The only problems I have heard about seem to result from people using poor quality, or phony HCG, or people who continue to do a high level of cardio exercise and don't alter their caloric intake a bit.

If by scary, you mean people who report feeling weak, very hungry, headachey, that can be due to a few things. First of all, if you don't eat lots of fat on your loading days, the results can be more noticeable hunger during the first two days, as your body adapts to burning your stored fat. Also, if people do the loading days without taking HCG, that will make the first few days on the VLCD (very low calorie diet) more challenging.

The other reason you can feel poorly the first few days related to our way of of life. There are so many chemicals and unnatural additives in the foods most people eat, in the personal care products we use, and the residue of these compounds are stored in your body--in fat--so as you get rid of those toxins, your body may react by being headachey, and feeling generally out of sorts for the first few days.

For myself, by about day 4, the lethargy and headache, which were not severe, just annoying, have passed. Today is day 7 on the VLCD for me. As of today, I am down 9 lbs. from my starting weight on the first day of VLCD, which was Monday, July 19, and I hope to be able to report a 10 lb. loss as of tomorrow, the beginning of my second week.

The most difficult day I have had was Friday, when I was volunteering at a community event. A service club I belong to was selling lemonade and candy at an event in a local park. I agreed to work the booth before I decided to start HCG. The candy and lemonade didn't bother me at all. BUT--20 feet away from our booth were the guys cooking FRESH KETTLE CORN!!!:huh: :laugh: The smell was SHEER TORTURE, and I was stuck next to them for FOUR hours!!!:noway: :noway: :noway: :laugh: :laugh:

I managed to avoid eating any of it, but I did visit the nearby grocery store during a break and purchased a salad, a lemon for salad dressing, and an apple. When I came home, I could STILL smell that carmel corn smell on my clothes and hair, so I took a bath and through my clothes in the laundry. I was craving protein when I got home, so I ate about two ounces of cold chicken before bed and figured tomorrow was another day!! I didn't post a loss the next morning--only time all week--but I made up for it today, by going down 1.5 lbs. :drinker: :drinker:

Overall, I am very pleased with my progress. I will be curious to see what happens in week 3, when many people report their rate of loss slowing a bit.

As of today, I am 3.5 lbs. away from my weight at the end of August, 1990. I remember because it was the day I married my second husband. I had been up to 14 lbs. lighter the previous year, but I had managed to get rid of all but 3 lbs. of the 15 that I gained after purchasing my wedding dress. I had to take desparate measures to fit into my dress. Too bad MFP wasn't around then!!!:ohwell:

Hope all are doing well. :flowerforyou:

Barb
  • ephay
    ephay Posts: 74
    Options
    Had anyone had any bad side effects? I read some scary stories,guess I shouldn't have..I ordered my drops,haven't received them yet...Now I'm spooked

You know, I did get a couple side effects, but to be up front - - they were utterly managable.

The first was a 4-day long headache. I'm prone to headaches anyhow so I may have a higher tolerance for them that someone who's not. But on day 4 of it...I couldn't hang. I called in sick & went back to bed. However...I was also drinking 4-6 sodas per day & when I started this protocol...I quit cold turkey! So I'm assuming that a MAJOR part of the headache was caffeine withdrawls.

The second side effect was lethargy the first few days, maybe even a week. I am not taking the B12 'cause it's not in Simeon's protocol. So that may be why. It could also be because I generally get to bed around 12:30am & am up at 5am. So any combo of those things could contribute to it.

The third I've noticed is that my appetite is so decreased that there are days when I actually have to talk myself into eating. Let me tell you...make sure you do. If you don't...the effect is reversed. One day I just couldn't make myself eat. Bleh. So the next morning...that damn scale had gone UP!!! So make sure you eat!

The last side effect I've noticed is mental. If the number of my scale doesn't drop EVERY SINGLE DAY, I get frustrated. I plateaued a while back & was very discouraged. I wanted to cheat SO bad. But aside from the tortellini I ate, I stuck it out. And that is now being rewarded once again.

I would say don't be nervous. Be excited. This is the best thing I've done for myself in a long time! The rate in which the weight comes off is SO encouraging. I can see how Dr. Simeon is right when he said you have to be aware of those who are overly enthusiastic. It would be easy to try to push the limits of the diet and lose more than recommended per round!

Good luck to you! You'll be so happy with your results if you stick to it! :flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Ok, guys I am all in. I took Sunday as another load day due to it being my 12th wedding anniversary and hubby wanted to take me to breakfast and lunch, so I had 2 1/2 days of loading and now is R1Ph2VLCD1 for me.

So far, I am feeling pretty good with just having my coffee and water for breakfast.

I got up, took my thyroid meds with water, waited the 15 minutes and then took my drops. Waited another 15 minutes (got hubby and my lunches put together and took shower) then had my first cup of coffee. I love it, because I already drink my coffee black anyway, and this allows me to have more coffee every morning!!!

I think I am going to love VLCD. It is low carb and low calorie..........only thing I wish is - it was a bit more higher fat. That is the only part that puzzles me due to the whole it takes fat to burn fat part........... but I will go with Dr Simeons science and see where it leads me. :laugh:

Hopefully down a size or 2.............
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    Latest results:

Simeons HCG Protocol
    Starting weight: 242.4 lbs
    Week 1 results: 229.2 lbs (13.2 lbs lost)
    Week 2 results: 225.0 lbs (4.2 lbs lost, 17.4 lbs overall)
    Week 3 results: 219.4 lbs (5.6 lbs lost, 23.0 lbs overall)
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Latest results:

Simeons HCG Protocol
    Starting weight: 242.4 lbs
    Week 1 results: 229.2 lbs (13.2 lbs lost)
    Week 2 results: 225.0 lbs (4.2 lbs lost, 17.4 lbs overall)
    Week 3 results: 219.4 lbs (5.6 lbs lost, 23.0 lbs overall)

Awesome!!! i hope my results are like yours!!!
  • weaklink109
    Options
    This is the beginning of my second week. Stayed the same from yesterday, but it is likely due to my having dinner out last night. I had a spinach and shrimp salad, and asked that the shrimp be cooked without the usual seasonings, but I imagine there was still a certain amount of fat on them from grilling. I also had lemon juice for salad dressing. The serving of shrimp was a little bigger than 100 grams, and we ate fairly late, so staying the same didn't surprise me.

Tomorrow is another day. Good luck with your first day, Lioness. By about three days in, things will begin to feel routine, and by day 5, any lethargy and/or headachey feelings should subside.

Rob, congrats on your progress so far. 23 lbs. in 3 weeks is fantastic!!

Barb

PS--Hope everyone is taking their measurements. I did this morning, and found I have lost anywhere from 1/2 and inch to almost two inches everywhere except my biceps, which stayed the same.!!! Fantastic!!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    This is the beginning of my second week. Stayed the same from yesterday, but it is likely due to my having dinner out last night. I had a spinach and shrimp salad, and asked that the shrimp be cooked without the usual seasonings, but I imagine there was still a certain amount of fat on them from grilling. I also had lemon juice for salad dressing. The serving of shrimp was a little bigger than 100 grams, and we ate fairly late, so staying the same didn't surprise me.

Tomorrow is another day. Good luck with your first day, Lioness. By about three days in, things will begin to feel routine, and by day 5, any lethargy and/or headachey feelings should subside.

Rob, congrats on your progress so far. 23 lbs. in 3 weeks is fantastic!!

Barb

PS--Hope everyone is taking their measurements. I did this morning, and found I have lost anywhere from 1/2 and inch to almost two inches everywhere except my biceps, which stayed the same.!!! Fantastic!!

I need to get another tape measure and measure myself tonight!!!

I actually have a lot of energy and feel great!!! Started to get a bit hungry in my mid-morning meeting this morning and think that is because I didn't take any coffee or water with me to sip on. Lesson learned.
  • fivefatcats
    fivefatcats Posts: 368
    Options
    Rob - thanks for the update - I've been wondering how you and Brit are doing!!!

NEWS - in March at a weight of 182 I had a body composition test done and it said I was 27.8% body fat. I had another done today and I am at 27% body fat. Now you can take that two ways: 1) I lost fat and lean body mass (OMG - NOT LEAN BODY MASS!!!) or 2) I lost 25 lbs and proportiately the same fat and lean mass.

Lets be reasonable. If I weighed 150 and 120 lbs was lean mass, then lost 30 lbs, would I expect to still have 120lbs of lean mass? Of course not - that would make me 0% body fat at that is not achievable.

The important figure for me is that I lost weight, went from 51 lbs of fat to 44 lbs of fat and from 131 lbs of lean to 117lbs of lean.

I am perfectly happy with those numbers. I also believe that (since I am pretty flabby right now) that an exercise program that includes cardio I enjoy PLUS WEIGHT TRAINING is vital to toning the new body and achieving the body image I desire.

I will have the body composition test done again in 6 weeks to see if I can get that 27% body fat closer to my goal of 22%.

That said, I had a steak day yesterday and went from 162.6 to 161.2, exactly two pounds over last dose weight of 159.2. So I am planning a menu for the day to see what happens for tomorrow morning. If I am any higher than 161.2 - another steak or protein load day!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Ok, guys - please look at my food diary (if you are my friend) and tell me what I am doing wrong!!!!

I put in the food that I have eaten and what I am planning to eat for supper and it shows me over my calories by 176. I am only eating on the allowable food list so far............how am I supposed to stay at or around 500?

Do I have to eat the Melba toast? If not, I am taking it off due to that is the reason I am over on my calories. I haven't eaten any yet so it is no big deal to me.

Please advise quickly please!!! I am not trying to mess this up on the first day of VLCD
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Lioness,

I took a look at your diary. First of all, not sure how you found a food diary entry that shows coffee having a calorie count, but I have never heard of such a thing for black coffee, and since the protocol says you can drink unlimited coffee and tea, I would say that confirms my point.

Now, melba toast. Not sure what planet that melba toast CAME from, but the Old London melba toast that I bought has 20 calories a slice, so the entry you found is either for a HUGE piece, or it is wrong. If this is from the actual label of the melba toast you are using, it appears one of their slices is equal to about 4 of everyone elses. If you subtract 97 calories off each of your melba toast entries, you are UNDER calories for the day:drinker: :drinker: Hang in there. You are doing fine.
  • rob1976
    Options
    I know one mistake I made early on was not using the right ground beef entry. If you use 98%/2% like we do, be sure you are searching for EXTRA LEAN ground beef and the calorie count will be more accurate.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Lioness,

I took a look at your diary. First of all, not sure how you found a food diary entry that shows coffee having a calorie count, but I have never heard of such a thing for black coffee, and since the protocol says you can drink unlimited coffee and tea, I would say that confirms my point.

Now, melba toast. Not sure what planet that melba toast CAME from, but the Old London melba toast that I bought has 20 calories a slice, so the entry you found is either for a HUGE piece, or it is wrong. If this is from the actual label of the melba toast you are using, it appears one of their slices is equal to about 4 of everyone elses. If you subtract 97 calories off each of your melba toast entries, you are UNDER calories for the day:drinker: :drinker: Hang in there. You are doing fine.

Ok, I will have to put in my own entries when I get home for the melba toast. And the coffee I just used an entry as I always have for logging it here.

I haven't counted calories in years!!! I have been low carbing since 2003 and counting carbs is much simpler than calorie counting!!!
  • weaklink109
    Options
    If you haven't been counting, you may not be as aware as I am about how many incorrect/incomplete entries are floating around in the foood database. I always compare my own package data to what I am pullin from the database, and after I have that entry in my recent foods, I know I can use it without hesitation. Good luck!!
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    If you haven't been counting, you may not be as aware as I am about how many incorrect/incomplete entries are floating around in the foood database. I always compare my own package data to what I am pullin from the database, and after I have that entry in my recent foods, I know I can use it without hesitation. Good luck!!

I can't count calories, but I can give you an estimated carb count just by looking at the ingredients of a particular food. LOL

I have been counting carbs way longer than calories!!!
  • rob1976
    Options
    My advice to you is to try to always use the entry for the specific brand of food you are using. As you can see, there is a HUGE difference between entries.
  • samanthad2u
    Options
    Last saturday my TOM ended, so I did my first injection and started my load days. All was going great until yesterday, I started all over again with a very very heavy flow much more then normal and major cramps. I usually have a normal cycle and on top of it all I gain 4lbs!!!!!! I have been totally on protocol I don't why this happening.:cry: I have stoped my injections and don't know what to do now I am very worried. :frown:
  • Skinnytime
    Skinnytime Posts: 279
    Options
    I am taking the homeopathic hcg sublingual and had the same thing happen. My TOM has been like clockwork. Now, I have had a period for almost two weeks. I am hoping that it will all just sort itself out.
  • 4everFalbo
    4everFalbo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm starting Dr. Simeons Protocol tomorrow. My fiancee is starting with me. I've been reading all the posts here and I find it great to see everyone supporting each other along the way. Rob, your results are awesome.

I'll be doing the injections. Tomorrow is the first injection and load day 1. Does anyone here keep a public journal of their journey with hcg?
  • fivefatcats
    fivefatcats Posts: 368
    Options
    dbartrop - I kept a blog/diary every day from day 1 thru day 34 of my phase 2 diet - then I went on vacation for a week without internet. My intention is to continue to make a blog entry every day that I have internet access. I have tried to be as honest as possible about how I felt (good and bad) so as not to mislead anyone into thinking this is a cakewalk.

July24lioness - regarding your diary - DON'T choose 1 cup pieces of melba - there is a choice in the drop down list for "1 piece" with a calorie total of 20 calories - that is what I am using per one piece of melba toast. Pretty sure that will fix your "overeating" problem! :tongue:

Also - I never bother to enter my coffee - only the yummies I put IN my coffee like my creamer or whatever.

For those with TOM comments - I have no advice or personal experience to offer. I have an IUD and would be shocked if I got a period (I did get one on like day 8 or so - and was shocked) - I should be due again anytime now but don't keep track. Even when I did get it - I did nothing different - still took my drops and ate on the VLCD. Sorry I can't be more help.
  • weaklink109
    Options
    skinnytime and Samantha,

Here is a link to a facebook post with the results of one person's experience and research on your question. Hope this might help. I can't offer any personal insight, since I got rid of certain parts of my anatomy, (and a peck of trouble that went along with them:bigsmile:), back in January of 2009.

Check out:

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=120127898056
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!