I hate when people scrutize my food

Options

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I would give more than half a sideways glance at a coworker who proclaimed to be so hungry, yet was eating just a can of tuna for lunch and it would be concern.

(The other half of the glance would be annoyance at the revolting smell of the canned tuna permeating our shared space.)

Should she have gone on about it? No, but you did open yourself up to it by claiming to be so hungry. Also, for someone who is trying to claim they didn't care about it, your indignant and ranty thread is amusing.

2 oz - not even a can!
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    I would give more than half a sideways glance at a coworker who proclaimed to be so hungry, yet was eating just a can of tuna for lunch and it would be concern.

(The other half of the glance would be annoyance at the revolting smell of the canned tuna permeating our shared space.)

Should she have gone on about it? No, but you did open yourself up to it by claiming to be so hungry. Also, for someone who is trying to claim they didn't care about it, your indignant and ranty thread is amusing.

I'm glad you're amused LOL I don't think I claimed to be so hungry. I just agreed with someone else who said they were hungry. A few people in the room were not eating at all so there was no reason to go on and on about what I was eating and calling attention to it. There could have been any number of reasons why I was eating so little. Maybe I wanted to eat the rest of my lunch at my desk. Maybe I don't usually eat lunch at all. Or the real reason, which was that that was all I could eat.
    I can assure you all, this did not ruin my day one bit some of you have taken the fact that I made a thread about it way way way too seriously. I wasn't crying in a dark corner. This is a forum about food is it not? Some of you need to chill.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I say I am hungry all the time .... doesn't mean I'll need more than just tuna to tide me over. Ya, it would have annoyed me a little too .... if you don't have cookies to offer, it's better to not say anything to me
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    OP, my observation after reading this, thumbing through your profile and diary and I come up with this,

You have been eating VLCD for around 6 weeks, it clearly states that you are all or nothing type and when it comes to weight loss its about fast results. I can only assume that peers in the work place have been witnessing a person that has been severely under eating, perhaps they are just concerned about their co worker and maybe this one lady is one of those types that is just blunt and for a lack of a better word not very tactful in how she handles her self when making such comments out loud. I could easily see that you may been displaying signs of person losing weight in an unhealthy manner for a while while in fact you are.

You were concerned enough about 'something' to create such a thread. Cannot say exactly, but people are always gonna be people, and people feel its their prerogative to say anything they feel free to do so, even if its at yours or my expense, but it did affect you, if it did not you would not created this thread.

How about... don't assume anything. :)
    The woman who wouldn't let up has never seen me eat before. I work at a HUGE company and we've never crossed paths. The coworker who told her to drop it knows why I was eating so little. it's probably best not to assess my weightloss habits without knowing anything else, no?
    I found it annoying. Is that letting it effect me? If so, then ok. I made a thread here because that's what people do, but if you knew me, you'd know I don't take much seriously and find most people pretty amusing.

Yes, 2oz of tuna is very little. So is lettuce. So is nothing at all. I think we're done here. Thanks for coming to the party!
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I never comment on what, or how much, people eat, that's their choices and has no impact on my life. What I would find offensive is the smell of the tuna. Something about seafood makes my nauseated to the point I have to leave the room. Which sucks because where I work there are almost daily late afternoon spreads and they always have shrimp...

gabriellejayde, I agree with you, it was rude of that person to constantly bring to everybody's attention what you were having for lunch.

Yeah food in meetings can be really ... annoying. Anything that smells strongly is rough, and then there's the noisy foods that make it hard to hear, or people who are trying to chew and talk. Still though it's not really OK to comment on how much or how little you see a coworker eating in front of you.

Whether OP has an eating disorder or not (and I'm not going to offer an opinion on that either way), I think commentary on coworker's food should be limited to "The smell/noise is causing a disruption in the meeting." and not commentary on amounts.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Even if They were concerned, they didn't need to make a big production out of it. They could've just quietly asked a discreet question. People who do stuff like that aren't doing anyone any favors .