I hate when people scrutize my food

Options

Replies

• DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    She should have said she was hungry then scarfed down a pizza ... everyone would have been happy
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I understand why say you're hungry and then eating 2 oz of tuna sounding odd. Totally.

From what I'm gathering. Someone said they were hungry and she just said me too. She didn't go out of her way to let everyone know she was hungry.

That's what I'm reading but I may be wrong.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    She should have said she was hungry then scarfed down a pizza ... everyone would have been happy

Only if she ordered enough for everyone!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I tend to take these kinds of threads with a grain of salt, like the "my spouse is horrible" ones. We only have one side of the story and it's not uncommon to have someone build up a single comment or two (like "is that all you have for lunch? Do you want to run get something? Or here, have some of my sandwich") with some kind of extreme harassing. We'd probably get a different story from the co-worker (or maybe not, some people are just weird).

I actually find that kind of thing annoying too (I would never want any of someone else's sandwich--I went to a Bears game with someone once not intending to eat or to buy something if I wanted it and my friend kept trying to push her healthy extra sandwich on me), but I see it as understandable and well-intentioned, and if I told someone else I was really hungry and then proceeded to not eat or eat very little I would not be surprised or bothered at a comment.

My mother is a food pusher. If I told her I was hungry and only ate two oz of tuna, she WOULD NOT REST until I ate more.

(I do realize mothers and friends are different from coworkers.)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I guess there aren't different levels of hungry?

To me saying you're hungry means...you would like something to eat. It does not necessarily mean you want to eat a huge meal, it simply means...you want something to eat.

I work in an office with 3 other women. It is not uncommon to mention being hungry for something...and then eating a handful of crackers, or a cheese stick. 2oz of tuna is right in that category.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    So I had 2 oz of tuna for lunch today...with another 350 calories of other stuff to round it out.
  • DJ_Skywalker
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    So I had 2 oz of tuna for lunch today...with another 350 calories of other stuff to round it out.

Hope it was a plate of bacon
  • NewMeSM75
    edited May 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I tend to take these kinds of threads with a grain of salt, like the "my spouse is horrible" ones. We only have one side of the story and it's not uncommon to have someone build up a single comment or two (like "is that all you have for lunch? Do you want to run get something? Or here, have some of my sandwich") with some kind of extreme harassing. We'd probably get a different story from the co-worker (or maybe not, some people are just weird).

I actually find that kind of thing annoying too (I would never want any of someone else's sandwich--I went to a Bears game with someone once not intending to eat or to buy something if I wanted it and my friend kept trying to push her healthy extra sandwich on me), but I see it as understandable and well-intentioned, and if I told someone else I was really hungry and then proceeded to not eat or eat very little I would not be surprised or bothered at a comment.

My mother is a food pusher. If I told her I was hungry and only ate two oz of tuna, she WOULD NOT REST until I ate more.

(I do realize mothers and friends are different from coworkers.)

For sure. I'm with your mom. I have 4 kids. 3 of which are teenagers, I'm the same way.
  • NewMeSM75
    Options

Bacon? Why did we bring bacon into the thread? Now I want bacon. Nothing better than bacon than some extra bacon. :p
  • DJ_Skywalker
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »

Bacon? Why did we bring bacon into the thread? Now I want bacon. Nothing better than bacon than some extra bacon. :p

That extra bacon needs bacon
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options

So I am eating mine, and it includes liver, along with other things. When I went to the kitchen to get it a co-worker asked what I was having and I told him fully expecting (and not minding) that I would be told that this was weird (or "ick," which is what I got). If I had wanted to avoid that I would have said "leftover chicken," which is also part of it. (Co-worker also asked about the spaghetti squash, wanted to know if it tasted like spaghetti, and I said "not really." None of these seems weird or inappropriate to me, people are nosy.)
  • DJ_Skywalker
    Options
    u7av9uzccw5z.jpg

I am SO hungry now ... off to a meeting ... One Love
  • NewMeSM75
    Options
    My best friend makes comments all the time about my nasty, weird food. But she's my best friend. I just throw a worse insult back. *true friend :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    DanniB423 wrote: »
    You said you were hungry and then "picked" at 2 oz of tuna. Doesn't sound odd at all.....

Whether or not it is odd doesn't give a co-worker the right to harp on it in front of others. It is possible to find something odd and still not comment.
  • NewMeSM75
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I can't assume whether someone is eating 500-3000 calories a day just by 2 oz of tuna or a leaf of lettuce. Who knows what they had for breakfast or will have at home. We are so busy at work, so many of us hardly have time to eat during the day apart from snacking here and there.

Yeah but again... OP said she was hungry! Then she ate almost nothing.

Context, people.

I had a woman argue with me in a cafe after i ate half a slice of toast and a bit of scrambled egg in a cafe
    She kept on about ordering stuff and not eating. I told her repeatedly i had been hungry when i ordered but was now full. I explained i had a gastric bypass etc

In the end i had to explain how sometimes foods stick and restriction means i cannot eat more

Her throw away comment was next time order a kids meal ( her colleague refused that as im over 12 years old)

All this was said with everyone listening.

Even with context its still not ok to badger another person about thier choices

I'm just about certain, I would have calmly, politely told her to mind her *%!# business. That was uncalled for.