• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Yes processed meat is worse than organic grass fed meat, always. If someone is down for it try it. Cause I can guarantee you that you will not see the same effect on your body.

Count the calories the EXACT SAME and eat only clean/bro/healthy/whatever you wanna call them foods, and then eat a similar diet with processed foods, not saying just junk food but even packaged meats, snacks foods etc. and I will guarantee you, do it for 6 weeks of each, if you do the processed foods first, you will either gain weight if you had been eating cleaner, or maintain your weight if you've already been doing that. When you switch over to the clean/healthy/bro foods, you will lose weight and fat.

And add an equal amount of salt, even salt it more if you want, and match the calories and macro's EXACT. I have done this and have seen this effect. A carb is not a carb and even a vegetable is not a vegetable. I am not saying that I only eat clean, organic, whole foods or anything, I am just saying that there is a MASSIVE difference. Anyone who thinks differently, I invite you to try it.

It's already been tried. Under clinical conditions, no less. The results will probably surprise you: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/

"Now, the study does have a few limitations that I want to mention explicitly.
    The study only looked at a single meal.   It’s entirely possible that a diet based completely around fast food would show different effects."

So which poster here advocated a diet based completely around fast food? Or are you just positing the usual strawman in such discussions to bolster your position?

Context and dosage matter.

It was in response to making a point that a carb is not a carb and a micronutrient is not a micronutrient when it is ingested with things that have an effect on your body. Originally comparing eating a mcdonalds/burger king burger with a steak salad with cheese.

Okay. So you are just positing the usual strawman in such discussions to bolster your position, and are not interested in considering context and dosage as relevant factors. At least we have that clarified. Carry on.
  • theflatpick
    theflatpick Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You'll find tons more information explaining why there is No "starvation mode" than you will supporting it. Exercise is for fitness and health - absolutely great. Eating less is for losing weight.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Yes processed meat is worse than organic grass fed meat, always. If someone is down for it try it. Cause I can guarantee you that you will not see the same effect on your body.

Count the calories the EXACT SAME and eat only clean/bro/healthy/whatever you wanna call them foods, and then eat a similar diet with processed foods, not saying just junk food but even packaged meats, snacks foods etc. and I will guarantee you, do it for 6 weeks of each, if you do the processed foods first, you will either gain weight if you had been eating cleaner, or maintain your weight if you've already been doing that. When you switch over to the clean/healthy/bro foods, you will lose weight and fat.

And add an equal amount of salt, even salt it more if you want, and match the calories and macro's EXACT. I have done this and have seen this effect. A carb is not a carb and even a vegetable is not a vegetable. I am not saying that I only eat clean, organic, whole foods or anything, I am just saying that there is a MASSIVE difference. Anyone who thinks differently, I invite you to try it.

i guess you are not familiar with the twinkie diet...

so you are saying that is Person A is in a 500 calorie deficit of processed food that they will not lose weight? Can you explain to me this magical process that makes processed foods cancel out the universal laws of math and physics????

most people lose on a clean diet because clean foods are less calorie dense and they are replacing calorie dense foods with less calorie dense foods..

for the record, which of the one million definitions of "clean eating" are you operating off??

Nope, I said you would be more efficient in losing fat specifically with the cleaner foods, the ones that are equally as calorically dense in total because the calorie count is the same.

ok, still wrong though...

You genuinely believe that taking in chemicals and additives which have been shown to cause disease and metabolic problems have no effect on your fat loss?

everything has "chemicals" in it..

I believe in eating a balanced diet where I hit my macros, micros, and calorie targets.

I don't worry about idiotic concepts like clean vs dirty, processed vs non-processed, etc, etc...

How do you track your micro's?

how do you track all the chemicals in your food?

Hahahahha I will give you that one

this app can track micros and there are others as well, I use MFP.

Yeah, like 4 of the 40 odd micro's?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Rufftimes wrote: »
    Wow, now you're telling me I assume everyone is stupid? You don't know a thing about me.

I'd like to know whether you still have a problem with "eat what you want within your calorie limit".

Well, my problem with "eat what you want within your calorie limit" is that these foods don't satiate me.

This makes no sense to me. When I decide what I WANT to eat, of course whether I will be hungry or satiated (and satisfied) will play a role. Thus, I would never WANT to use my 1500 calories on just a pint of ice cream (although I like ice cream a lot).

I don't know why people assume others would WANT to eat food that would not result in a healthful diet and would leave them hungry (especially the latter, since clearly lots of people do choose to eat less nutritious diets).

I suspect that to some extent people are talking past each other, but assuming that others WANT to eat something like only a pint of ice cream (because that's what overweight people want?) always rubs me the wrong way -- not from you, since I know you from the forums pretty well and don't think you make such assumptions, but more generally.

Thoughts?

There are occasionally days I use all of my calories on wings and beer. The key word there is "occasionally", though. If someone does something like that two or three times a year, it's not really the end of the world.

If someone else wants to do that with ice cream or chocolates or cheesecake, like have their semi-annual single day "junk food" feast, so what? On the longer timeline, 1/365 of your diet won't be what makes or breaks you.

I agree with this entirely.
  • Rammer123
    Options

It's already been tried. Under clinical conditions, no less. The results will probably surprise you: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/

The study only looked at a single meal.   It’s entirely possible that a diet based completely around fast food would show different effects."

So which poster here advocated a diet based completely around fast food? Or are you just positing the usual strawman in such discussions to bolster your position?

It was in response to making a point that a carb is not a carb and a micronutrient is not a micronutrient when it is ingested with things that have an effect on your body. Originally comparing eating a mcdonalds/burger king burger with a steak salad with cheese.

Okay. So you are just positing the usual strawman in such discussions to bolster your position, and are not interested in considering context and dosage as relevant factors. At least we have that clarified. Carry on.

You're saying because you don't notice the effect of 1 meal at a fast food restaurant means that it must not have an effect?

1 cheeseburger or 1,000 cheeseburgers, doesn't change the effect of the first one.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    • Saturated Fat
    • Polyunsaturated Fat
    • Monounsaturated Fat
    • Trans Fat
    • Cholesterol
    • Sodium
    • Potassium
    • Fiber
    • Sugar
    • Vitamin A
    • Vitamin C
    • Iron
    • Calcium

While I'd like to see the B-vitamins in here, too, I'm really more concerned about my iron.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Wow, now you're telling me I assume everyone is stupid? You don't know a thing about me.

I'd like to know whether you still have a problem with "eat what you want within your calorie limit".

Well, my problem with "eat what you want within your calorie limit" is that these foods don't satiate me.

This makes no sense to me. When I decide what I WANT to eat, of course whether I will be hungry or satiated (and satisfied) will play a role. Thus, I would never WANT to use my 1500 calories on just a pint of ice cream (although I like ice cream a lot).

I don't know why people assume others would WANT to eat food that would not result in a healthful diet and would leave them hungry (especially the latter, since clearly lots of people do choose to eat less nutritious diets).

I suspect that to some extent people are talking past each other, but assuming that others WANT to eat something like only a pint of ice cream (because that's what overweight people want?) always rubs me the wrong way -- not from you, since I know you from the forums pretty well and don't think you make such assumptions, but more generally.

Thoughts?

A lot of my excess weight was from eating whole pints of premium ice cream on top of a balanced diet, especially premenstrually or as an emotional coping strategy. I do indeed want a whole pint at a time.

Well, that would be precluded by "eat what you want within your calories," right? I think everyone agrees that we can't eat the amounts we might want (or every single food it might cross our minds to want) on a particular day. What I'm objecting to is the idea that "eating what you want within your calorie" is "dangerous" because people are going to decide, on a regular basis, that what they WANT is to eat a junk food only diet that leaves them hungry and nutrient-starved. As I understand "want," it includes the fact that I don't want to eat food that leave me hungry (other than on a rare occasion when it's worth it), don't want to overeat, don't want to lack nutrients. So what I want is a reasonably nutrient-dense diet (of food I enjoy).

Might I have a piece of pie for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving or go to Pequods for some Chicago-style pizza occasionally? Sure thing!
  • Rammer123
    Options
    • Saturated Fat
    • Polyunsaturated Fat
    • Monounsaturated Fat
    • Trans Fat
    • Cholesterol
    • Sodium
    • Potassium
    • Fiber
    • Sugar
    • Vitamin A
    • Vitamin C
    • Iron
    • Calcium

While I'd like to see the B-vitamins in here, too, I'm really more concerned about my iron.

I think you are mistaken about what micronutrients are
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    CICO is not everything, and it's dangerous to tell people that. I said it in other posts, if that were the case, I'd just eat three big macs a day and everything would be wonderful. What you put into your body does matter.

You'd need more fiber, some calcium and a multivitamin to live on that for any length of time, but a Big Mac in and of itself isn't exactly evil. Three of them a a day would be 1620 calories, 75g of protein, 29g of fat. 45g carbohydrate and 3g dietary fiber.

Vitamin wise, you'd do better on the Quarter Pounder with Cheese than the Big Mac.

Obviously eating only one thing repeatedly rather than a varied diet is not the best plan for anyone's health, but McDonald's can exist in a nutritionally complete diet if that's what someone wants.

Honestly vitamin wise, you'd do best with a Whopper w/ cheese. But yeah, certainly not the worst thing to eat... as long as you're not overeating.

That's down to the Whopper having tomatoes and lettuce, though. Makes it more comparable to the Big N Tasty.

Either way, there's no inherent reason that a Burger King or McDonald's burger is nutritionally worse than the same ingredients prepared another way: as in a steak salad with cheese and a roll.

Wow.... Couldn't be farther from the truth. Is this a joke?

Protein is protein, carbs are carbs, fat is fat. vitamin C is vitamin C whether it comes from an organic tomato or a heritage tomato. Vitamin K is vitamin K whether it comes from kale or Burger king Lettuce.

Exactly. You can indeed eat a steak salad that has the same fundamental nutrition as a Whopper with cheese.
    Well, not really, unless you're talking about a very tiny salad with fatty steak and a couple of large bread rolls on the side. The vegetables in a normal salad have quite a different nutritional profile than a white bread bun. To illustrate, there aren't many salads with 675 calories plus 1.5g of trans fat, but only 1% of the RDA of vitamin C.

Responding to OP, even people who believe in "starvation mode" (however that's defined) don't think that just reducing calories somewhat will cause it. They're concerned with more severe restrictions - which might or might not be a problem for all kinds of other reasons. Moderate calorie reductions are fine unless you have some kind of medical restriction.

You may not have to exercise or eat a healthy diet to lose weight temporarily. But if you want to lose weight safely and keep it off, and enjoy your weight loss, you'll need to be healthy. That requires some kind of exercise and a healthy diet.
  • crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

so you are saying that is Person A is in a 500 calorie deficit of processed food that they will not lose weight? Can you explain to me this magical process that makes processed foods cancel out the universal laws of math and physics????

most people lose on a clean diet because clean foods are less calorie dense and they are replacing calorie dense foods with less calorie dense foods..

for the record, which of the one million definitions of "clean eating" are you operating off??

Nope, I said you would be more efficient in losing fat specifically with the cleaner foods, the ones that are equally as calorically dense in total because the calorie count is the same.

You genuinely believe that taking in chemicals and additives which have been shown to cause disease and metabolic problems have no effect on your fat loss?

I believe in eating a balanced diet where I hit my macros, micros, and calorie targets.

I don't worry about idiotic concepts like clean vs dirty, processed vs non-processed, etc, etc...

cronometer tracks micros in pretty good depth.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

cronometer tracks micros in pretty good depth.

I was going to suggest cronometer as well. I'd use it but I'm too lazy to log in two places and I prefer the social aspect of MFP for now.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    • Saturated Fat
    • Polyunsaturated Fat
    • Monounsaturated Fat
    • Trans Fat
    • Cholesterol
    • Sodium
    • Potassium
    • Fiber
    • Sugar
    • Vitamin A
    • Vitamin C
    • Iron
    • Calcium

please enlighten us then..
  • ndj1979
    Options

You're saying because you don't notice the effect of 1 meal at a fast food restaurant means that it must not have an effect?

1 cheeseburger or 1,000 cheeseburgers, doesn't change the effect of the first one.

so what is this negative effect of one cheeseburger in a diet that is meeting micro, macro, and calorie targets??? Instant fat creation???
  • Rammer123
    Options
    • Saturated Fat
    • Polyunsaturated Fat
    • Monounsaturated Fat
    • Trans Fat
    • Cholesterol
    • Sodium
    • Potassium
    • Fiber
    • Sugar
    • Vitamin A
    • Vitamin C
    • Iron
    • Calcium

please enlighten us then..

Saturated Fat
    Polyunsaturated Fat
    Monounsaturated Fat
    Trans Fat
    Fiber
    Sugar

All apart of macronutrients
  • AnvilHead
    edited May 2017
    Options

Another strawman demonstrating no grasp of context/dosage. Amusing.
  • AnvilHead
    edited May 2017
    Options
  • ndj1979
    Options

Another strawman demonstrating no grasp of context/dosage. Amusing.

I still want to know what this negative impact of one cheeseburger is....