Replies

• RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz... Touché
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you reduce your caloric intake, your body goes into starvation mode (something like that) so you end up gaining weight instead of losing weight. Does anyone know if this is true? Do you have to exercise in order to lose weight?

The stickied "must read" posts at the top of each forum section have a wealth of information if you haven't had a chance to read them yet. They include these two posts about starvation mode:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/761810/the-starvation-mode-myth-again/p1
  • RobBasss
    RobBasss Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Or simply watch an episode of Naked and Afraid and see what happens to their body weight at the end of the challenge.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    rdridi12 wrote: »
    Yes processed meat is worse than organic grass fed meat, always. If someone is down for it try it. Cause I can guarantee you that you will not see the same effect on your body.

Count the calories the EXACT SAME and eat only clean/bro/healthy/whatever you wanna call them foods, and then eat a similar diet with processed foods, not saying just junk food but even packaged meats, snacks foods etc. and I will guarantee you, do it for 6 weeks of each, if you do the processed foods first, you will either gain weight if you had been eating cleaner, or maintain your weight if you've already been doing that. When you switch over to the clean/healthy/bro foods, you will lose weight and fat.

And add an equal amount of salt, even salt it more if you want, and match the calories and macro's EXACT. I have done this and have seen this effect. A carb is not a carb and even a vegetable is not a vegetable. I am not saying that I only eat clean, organic, whole foods or anything, I am just saying that there is a MASSIVE difference. Anyone who thinks differently, I invite you to try it.
    So you're telling me that if I get two steaks at the butcher shop, take them home, run one through the meat grinder thereby "processing" it, and then throw both of them on the grill and cook them both mid rare, the one I didn't grind is healthy, and the one I did is not?

@rdridi12 although everyone off of MFP forums knows what I mean by "processed foods", since running steak through the meat grinder technically is processing it, and there is a lot of this type of pushback here, on MFP I say "Ultra Processed Foods" and refer to the Brazilian definition: http://189.28.128.100/dab/docs/portaldab/publicacoes/guia_alimentar_populacao_ingles.pdf

For anyone who doesn't want to open and search - ultra-processed is defined here as : Ultra-processed foods include confectionery, drinks that are sweetened with sugar or artficial sweeteners, powders for juices, sausages and other products that are derived from meat and animal fat, pre-prepared frozen dishes, dried products such as cake mix, powdered soup, instant noodles, ready-seasonings, and an infinity of new products that arrive at the markets every year including packaged snacks, morning cereals, cereal bars, and ‘energy’ drinks. Breads and baked goods become ultraprocessed foods when, in addition to wheat flour, yeast, water, and salt, their ingredients include substances such as hydrogenated vegetable fat, sugar, starch, whey, emulsifiers, and other additives.

Lol whatevs
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Good to know my homemade yeast bread is deemed 'ultra-processed' by the inclusion of a teaspoon of sugar to feed the yeast :tired_face:
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Good to know my homemade yeast bread is deemed 'ultra-processed' by the inclusion of a teaspoon of sugar to feed the yeast :tired_face:

But was it organic sugar?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    • Saturated Fat
    • Polyunsaturated Fat
    • Monounsaturated Fat
    • Trans Fat
    • Cholesterol
    • Sodium
    • Potassium
    • Fiber
    • Sugar
    • Vitamin A
    • Vitamin C
    • Iron
    • Calcium

While I'd like to see the B-vitamins in here, too, I'm really more concerned about my iron.

I think you are mistaken about what micronutrients are

please enlighten us then..

Saturated Fat
    Polyunsaturated Fat
    Monounsaturated Fat
    Trans Fat
    Fiber
    Sugar

All apart of macronutrients

I am confused - you said estherdragon didnt know what micronutrients were when she posted her list - so you enlighten us by providing a list , all of which were also on her list.

I am befuddled :o

He commented in the comment saying the things on the list were all a part of macronutrients...
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I really shouldn't talk though. I already had a Hot Pocket, 2 Oreos, and some diet soda today (among other things). So I'm just going to go sit in Time Out and wait for the chemicals to kill me.

nayvgp6ppltr.jpg

I keep saying Hawwwwwt Pocket over and over
  • Tankiscool
    Tankiscool Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    80% of fat loss is from diet alone. Get that *kitten* figured out first. Then add working out.

Also starvation mode is basically a myth. Yes it is plausible but for long periods of times at very minimal calorie intake. But confuse your body on how, when, how much you eat. That will make sure you stay on course for fat loss

Abs come from the kitchen, not crunches people!
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    What I love about the element of exercise.....

-I feel amazing afterwards.
    -I set and accomplish goals daily.
    -My muscles are beginning to show, tone.
    -I am completely off a high blood pressure med I took for 20 years after four months of hard work.
    -My skin is awesome.
    -Forces me to make better food decisions because one hour of hardcore work is almost a whole cupcake.
    -I felt it helped me lose faster. Allows me more options when I change things up.
    -In my mind, sweat equals hard work and for me that means progress.
    -i think clearer. I remember better.

This list could go on and on and on for me.

Others might tell you different but I can't imagine going back to a sedentary lifestyle and I started at 354lbs. I still have a way to go but I am not looking back!

I eat right (ish). I sleep good. I drink a ton of water. I put the work in. I get RESULTS.

No low carb for me, no pills, no shots...nothing but sheer determination. Friend me if you'd like.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    • Saturated Fat
    • Polyunsaturated Fat
    • Monounsaturated Fat
    • Trans Fat
    • Cholesterol
    • Sodium
    • Potassium
    • Fiber
    • Sugar
    • Vitamin A
    • Vitamin C
    • Iron
    • Calcium

While I'd like to see the B-vitamins in here, too, I'm really more concerned about my iron.

I think you are mistaken about what micronutrients are

please enlighten us then..

Saturated Fat
    Polyunsaturated Fat
    Monounsaturated Fat
    Trans Fat
    Fiber
    Sugar

All apart of macronutrients

I am confused - you said estherdragon didnt know what micronutrients were when she posted her list - so you enlighten us by providing a list , all of which were also on her list.

I am befuddled :o

He commented in the comment saying the things on the list were all a part of macronutrients...

Well, yes - all micronutrients are part of macronutrients, estherdragon wasnt disputing that either though

• crazyycatladyy1
    crazyycatladyy1 Posts: 156 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Tankiscool wrote: »
    80% of fat loss is from diet alone. Get that *kitten* figured out first. Then add working out.

Also starvation mode is basically a myth. Yes it is plausible but for long periods of times at very minimal calorie intake. But confuse your body on how, when, how much you eat. That will make sure you stay on course for fat loss

Abs come from the kitchen, not crunches people!

Weight loss can be 100% from diet alone if one chooses to go that route. I know it's not the popular method around here, but I lost the extra weight with no exercise factored in at all. At the time I was really overwhelmed (had never tried to lose weight before but was facing a health crisis if I didn't drop the extra pounds), so I decided to only focus on creating the calorie deficit I needed for my weight loss goals by reducing how many calories I was eating. Kept things really simple, and lost the weight I needed to lose and improved all my health markers at the same time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

You dirty, dirty baker...