Diary open am I eating right? I am not losing anymore!!

Options
12346»

Replies

• Jennifera714
    Options
    My point is someone cannot accurately gauge the calories 'burnt' breast feeding. If someone is unable to do so, at the very least they need to underestimate the calories 'burnt'.

With food you can be almost entirely accurate if you eat the foods you can absolutely measure. Exercise a little less. Arbitrary bodily functions, even less so.

She is already under estimating that. At 7 months with no supplemental food, it could be as high as 800 calories a day.

The "average" is 20 calories per ounce of milk. I'm sure she can figure out how many ounces she is producing and adjust accordingly. You feed 2.5 oz of milk per 1 lb of baby weight, A 7 month old is about 16 lbs. 16x2.5x20=800 calories. Of course, this is assuming the baby is only eating breast milk.

If you use MFP for how many calories you burn running, you are also getting an estimate. It's not an accurate tool, to be honest.

I'm not understanding why you are so caught up on this, other than you enjoy being the center of attention.

OP: It seems to me like you are doing everything right, except it seems like you are nursing, working out, and some days only eating 1200 cals. I'm not sure why you would do that intentionally. I agree with those who think you should up your cals. The reason I think this is because you are doing some body weight resistance training and I think that changes the game some. Worse case scenario, you try it and it doesn't work. Maybe you could do a refeed and see how that goes.

Also, you could try using an HRM to see what you are really burning on your activities and adjust accordingly (of course, an HRM won't tell you what you burn Nursing, naturally).

If I were you, I'd try doing some HIIT for the hecks of it.

My little one just turned 6 months she is 21 lbs =) chubby one.... Which I pride myself in since all that is BREASTMILK... Thank I might just try that. I pump/nurse 30 oz + daily.

My little one just turned 6 months she is 21 lbs =) chubby one.... Which I pride myself in since all that is BREASTMILK... Thank I might just try that. I pump/nurse 30 oz + daily.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    If you use MFP for how many calories you burn running, you are also getting an estimate. It's not an accurate tool, to be honest.

I'm not understanding why you are so caught up on this, other than you enjoy being the center of attention.

Agreed. I always over-estimate food, under-estimate exercise (more calories counted/ less minutes running).

You also bring up another excellent point of attention. How do I get out of the center of attention? Should I change my profile picture to me in a bikini? That should probably draw attention away.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    In fact, I can burn up to 700 in an hour running and I am 140Ibs. It depends on the intensity of the workout, among other factors.

Yeah no.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My point is someone cannot accurately gauge the calories 'burnt' breast feeding. If someone is unable to do so, at the very least they need to underestimate the calories 'burnt'.

With food you can be almost entirely accurate if you eat the foods you can absolutely measure. Exercise a little less. Arbitrary bodily functions, even less so.

Logging at 300 is underestimating since the range is 300 - 500 cals per day. She just put 9 minutes to put something. Tons of people here constantly put 1 calorie for insanely intense workouts. It's a number to put there to be able to factor those cals in that's all. It's the cal number that's important for her uses.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

You need to stop beating this dead horse. She needs to add calories for breast feeding. Whether or not she calls it "calories burned" or not is irrelevant. So get off it, okay?
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm joining this thread when all the info is clearer. So, OP, your baby is 6 months and breastfeeding has been a great success so far. I think that deserves a huge :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :smooched: :drinker:

Your supply has been good and your little one is about to get into solids and you feel ready to lose some weight again. One thing to consider, regarding the scales, is milk weight! I know it sounds silly, but as baby's needs must be starting to change, the amount of milk your body expects to produce may not yet have altered to the change in demand. It's like water weight in non-lactating people, and of course that can be going on too.

When I was BFing I was scared to lose weight rapidly as I'd read that this could release toxins into the breast milk. The following touches on this and seems to have calm and reasonable advice (though I must admit I didn't read it all):

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/

I wish you all the best. Xxx
  • mmabdull99
    mmabdull99 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I need some help on this topic because I'm this close to losing my mind over this. I started myfitnesspal over a month ago, it set my calorie intake to 1200 (losing 2lbs a week), I am 138 5'3. I used to be 115 but over years I've slowly gained alot of weight. Before I started this diet, I was easily eating over 2000 calories a day with no exercise (office job so my activity level was zero). Now, I've been eating 1200 and actually alot of times under 1200 and exercising around 4 times a week for atleast an hour. I have literally lost NO weight at all. I dont understand this, I have been working so hard and I see no results I am so frustrated and I just want need advice. I don't have enough time in the day to the whole 4-5 meals a day, I eat breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. I have totally cut out sodas besides casual happy hour drinks. I dont always eat back exercise calories. My calorie intake varies everyday, I just feel so upset because I'm working so hard and havent seen any results. Please please help me!!!

My diary is open too!!
  • Jennifera714
    Options
    In fact, I can burn up to 700 in an hour running and I am 140Ibs. It depends on the intensity of the workout, among other factors.

Yeah no.

I still stand by you being an asshat. How do you know what someone else burns? I'm smaller than the poster and burn about 300 calories per half hour of running. I realize your mental disorder allows you to think you're a super hero but seriously give up on the stupid comments. You're only making yourself look more and more ridiculous.

And who cares how the OP adds her 300 calories for breastfeeding? Does it really make a difference in the way the world revolves if she adds it as exercise or just makes her daily budget 300 calories higher to allow for lactation? You're knit picking a point that is irrelevant.

Thank You! you are right all around.
  • mbridge10
    mbridge10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40,45,51 on 3 different occasions & currently 42 (gonna keep off this time). I purchased a heart rate monitor that I wear around my chest that's paired with watch(Polar). That way heart rate & calories are more accurate & even then I take 100 calories off every 30 minutes of exercise performed so just in case it's not accurate, I won't eat those calories back. You can cut grass and wash car & add those calories(1500 the other day washing 3 cars for approximately 4 hours even after using method mentioned above).
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I have lost 40,45,51 on 3 different occasions & currently 42 (gonna keep off this time). I purchased a heart rate monitor that I wear around my chest that's paired with watch(Polar). That way heart rate & calories are more accurate & even then I take 100 calories off every 30 minutes of exercise performed so just in case it's not accurate, I won't eat those calories back. You can cut grass and wash car & add those calories(1500 the other day washing 3 cars for approximately 4 hours even after using method mentioned above).

HRM's are only accurate for steady state cardio activity which washing a car isn't. You need to be maintaining a significantly increased heart rate over an extended period of time to get a proper reading. Something like running, biking, aerobics, swimming, etc. Wearing it for activities like cutting grass and car washing are give you high false readings. Also a HRM is taking into account your total calorie burn for the time, not deducting your BMR which you would have burned during that time anyway.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Yeah no.

I still stand by you being an asshat. How do you know what someone else burns? I'm smaller than the poster and burn about 300 calories per half hour of running. I realize your mental disorder allows you to think you're a super hero but seriously give up on the stupid comments. You're only making yourself look more and more ridiculous.

And who cares how the OP adds her 300 calories for breastfeeding? Does it really make a difference in the way the world revolves if she adds it as exercise or just makes her daily budget 300 calories higher to allow for lactation? You're knit picking a point that is irrelevant.

I just used the "ignore" feature on him. It's so much prettier around here all of a sudden!
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I need some help on this topic because I'm this close to losing my mind over this. I started myfitnesspal over a month ago, it set my calorie intake to 1200 (losing 2lbs a week), I am 138 5'3. I used to be 115 but over years I've slowly gained alot of weight. Before I started this diet, I was easily eating over 2000 calories a day with no exercise (office job so my activity level was zero). Now, I've been eating 1200 and actually alot of times under 1200 and exercising around 4 times a week for atleast an hour. I have literally lost NO weight at all. I dont understand this, I have been working so hard and I see no results I am so frustrated and I just want need advice. I don't have enough time in the day to the whole 4-5 meals a day, I eat breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner. I have totally cut out sodas besides casual happy hour drinks. I dont always eat back exercise calories. My calorie intake varies everyday, I just feel so upset because I'm working so hard and havent seen any results. Please please help me!!!

My diary is open too!!

You are pretty consistently under eating. That is not good. Try eating back your exercise calories.

Also, when you say "strength training" what exactly are you doing?

Also, consider the fact that you might not need to be back to 115 again. Check this lady out- I think she weighs 170 in both of these pics:

1004793_498110556939960_321665620_n.png
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    I just used the "ignore" feature on him. It's so much prettier around here all of a sudden!

It's really not nice to comment about people's pictures on here. I thought this site was a no judgement zone?
  • mmabdull99
    mmabdull99 Posts: 13
    Options
    Ah, I just am so afraid to eat now haha. Yeah I mean I've lost 2 inches off my waist so thats a plus sign, I see a difference in my overall body just not on the scale so I dont know if that means anything! My goal is to drop to 120s range so I have some leeway to gain 5 pounds here n there. I dont want to 115 again specifically. I dont know if me doing elliptical at the gym is not enough cardio? Should I mix it up? I've been doing like body pump classes sometimes i do treadmill but i dread running. I do squats with 30lbs about 40 each or so each time I do go to gym. But there isnt really any variation in my diet or exercise I dont know if thats the reason the scale isnt moving.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,644 Member
    Options
    I see a difference in my overall body just not on the scale so I dont know if that means anything!

It means you're on the right track because the scale lies but your body doesn't.
  • mbridge10
    mbridge10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can u read? Read the post again! 100 calories off every 30 min of exercise. Washing the car still left about 800 calories on the table that I didn't eat. Regardless of what I'm doing its not that far off!!!