Fat shaming

Options

Replies

• edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    edena001 wrote: »
    There's a difference between having a one on one talk to someone because you care for them and are concerned about their health and calling someone fat just to be a jerk.

I think people jump too quickly to someone being a jerk.
    If you say someone is overweight or obese that's totally okay, people should know that's not okay to be unhealthy.
    I'm obviously not talking about people saying 'you're a fat ****' or something.

Having a sensitive, quiet talk with someone about an issue that may be adversely affecting their health and quality of life is not fat shaming. Calling them a fat*kitten* is exactly fat shaming.

Many take the first, any concerned nicely worded comment, as fat shaming simply because you're talking about their weight
  • Tropicoolblonde
    Tropicoolblonde Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Not ok. It can cause eating disorders.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Unless they are on a program like MFP and you have their explicit permission to call people out for not meeting their goals I think that it's bitchy and mean to do that. Seriously - no one should be able to do that and think that it's okay.
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    edena001 wrote: »
    No one's view on me was important. I knew I was fat. No one needed to tell me. I knew I needed to lose weight. I don't know the ratio of how many people know as opposed to those who are in denial, but you might be telling someone who doesn't care what your opinion/ view of them is.
    I'm in the process of losing weight, but I'm still fat. If someone said something to me, my reply would be "Yeah, and?"

This is based mostly at the people who ignore it. I wouldn't want my children to walk around thinking is okay to be obese, which they're more likely to do if there's obese people around them.

LOL.. Seriously? Dear god, nobody thinks it's okay to be obese. Sure, we have this whole fat acceptance thing going on, but, deep down everyone knows it's not okay to be obese. Obese people earn less. Obese people are less likely to get promotions regardless of accomplishments. Obese people have trouble reproducing sometimes. Obese people can't ride a lot of the roller coasters at theme parks. I mean, c'mon, people KNOW. If your kids don't know than your kids have a different problem. I'm not sure how you fix that.

My daughter is home-schooled and I try to be somewhat body positive just in the sense of, be nice to everyone because you don't know their journey kind of thing. My daughter asks me questions like "Can you not run very fast because your fat?" I'm honest with my answers, "No, I can't run very fast, but, I can walk all day long." She is 6 years old and she KNOWS that I'm fat. I never mention my weight around her. I mention trying to eat healthy, she has to eat her greens before she gets to eat meat and so on. Even so, my 6 year old knows that I'm fat and can tell that people don't like me because of that. She can already tell that people are a lot nicer to her dad than they are to me. She hears the things people say about me. We talk about the things she's overheard. I try to keep it positive, like some people just haven't been taught manners and so on.

So, yeah, I'm sure that your kids know it's bad to be fat even without you fat-shaming people in public. Though, from the sounds of it, they've already got someone teaching them how to be hurtful to strangers in public.

Very well said, and to the OP, l think its best to keep ur opinion to yourself concerning any weight. Too fat or too skinny, unless its a personal friend or relative, its not your business or mine l.