Fat shaming

Personally I think it's okay to call people out in being overweight / obese. It's the only reason I realised there was a problem I had to lose weight.
I think people's view on you is important

Replies

• edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    There's a difference between having a one on one talk to someone because you care for them and are concerned about their health and calling someone fat just to be a jerk.

I think people jump too quickly to someone being a jerk.
    If you say someone is overweight or obese that's totally okay, people should know that's not okay to be unhealthy.
    I'm obviously not talking about people saying 'you're a fat ****' or something.
  • edena001
    filbo132 wrote: »
    I noticed the opposite too, when I was cutting, many people were commenting at me how I looked sick, skinny...all kinds of negative comments when in reality I was in the best shape of my life. I was nowhere near anorexic that people made it out to be, in fact it was the first time I was able to see my abs,veins and muscles pop out. There is unfortunately shaming in both side of the spectrum.

Yes there is shaming on both sides. And it's currently acceptable to tell someone they're underweight and need to put on a few pounds. But not okay to say it for overweight people.
    I think that's the main reason I think it's okay, because it is the other way.

• thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    In my opinion, simply saying someone is overweight should not be considered hurtful as long as that person is you know, actually overweight. But I don't think someone gains significant weight without noticing that their clothes are way tighter or something like that
  • edena001
    In my opinion, simply saying someone is overweight should not be considered hurtful as long as that person is you know, actually overweight. But I don't think someone gains significant weight without noticing that their clothes are way tighter or something like that

Yeah this is what I'm trying to say. But many people say this is fat shaming and you shouldn't be able to say that to someone. Or they go overall 'I love my body I don't need to lose anything' but sure you can love your body, but it's unhealthy so you should do something about it
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Have you done this? What happened?

Most people realize they are 'fat' or not...some are due to medical issues (prescriptions, etc.,). If you know the person certainly let them know you are concerned for their health. I would definitely do this.

One can not just assume someone is 'fat' because they just stuff their face....if you don't know the 'whole' story it's certainly not your place to call people 'out' you don't know.
  • edena001
    No one's view on me was important. I knew I was fat. No one needed to tell me. I knew I needed to lose weight. I don't know the ratio of how many people know as opposed to those who are in denial, but you might be telling someone who doesn't care what your opinion/ view of them is.
    I'm in the process of losing weight, but I'm still fat. If someone said something to me, my reply would be "Yeah, and?"

This is based mostly at the people who ignore it. I wouldn't want my children to walk around thinking is okay to be obese, which they're more likely to do if there's obese people around them.
  • edena001
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    Have you done this? What happened?

Most people realize they are 'fat' or not...some are due to medical issues (prescriptions, etc.,). If you know the person certainly let them know you are concerned for their health. I would definitely do this.

One can not just assume someone is 'fat' because they just stuff their face....if you don't know the 'whole' story it's certainly not your place to call people 'out' you don't know.

Yes I've recently told someone they were overweight (this was on a silly social media page where she asked for opinions) and I got a lot of fat shaming hate, despite saying it really nicely.
    I've found this is the response you get whatever the situation, which is a shame seeing as it's 'okay' to shame other people with unhealthy habits.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    edena001 wrote: »
    No one's view on me was important. I knew I was fat. No one needed to tell me. I knew I needed to lose weight. I don't know the ratio of how many people know as opposed to those who are in denial, but you might be telling someone who doesn't care what your opinion/ view of them is.
    I'm in the process of losing weight, but I'm still fat. If someone said something to me, my reply would be "Yeah, and?"

This is based mostly at the people who ignore it. I wouldn't want my children to walk around thinking is okay to be obese, which they're more likely to do if there's obese people around them.

The sad truth is (I don't know if you live in America or not) but something like 2/3 of Americans (I think, I might be off on that number) is overweight. Your children are going to see overweight people everywhere. You can't call everyone out. But you can teach you children good, healthy eating habits, and teach them by example.
  • edena001

The sad truth is (I don't know if you live in America or not) but something like 2/3 of Americans (I think, I might be off on that number) is overweight. Your children are going to see overweight people everywhere. You can't call everyone out. But you can teach you children good, healthy eating habits, and teach them by example.

I live in England. But I still think it's okay to tell someone they're overweight, just as you'd say smoking is bad for you, overeating or not exercising till you're overweight isn't healthy for tou
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

I live in England. But I still think it's okay to tell someone they're overweight, just as you'd say smoking is bad for you, overeating or not exercising till you're overweight isn't healthy for tou

Lol.
  • edena001
    Eh. Feel free to tell me I'm fat. I'll likewise feel free to tell you to £%$# off.

One is being rude, the other isn't
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    There's a difference between having a one on one talk to someone because you care for them and are concerned about their health and calling someone fat just to be a jerk.

I think people jump too quickly to someone being a jerk.
    If you say someone is overweight or obese that's totally okay, people should know that's not okay to be unhealthy.
    I'm obviously not talking about people saying 'you're a fat ****' or something.

Having a sensitive, quiet talk with someone about an issue that may be adversely affecting their health and quality of life is not fat shaming. Calling them a fat*kitten* is exactly fat shaming.
  • edena001

But you are not the food and exercise police. Nor the smoking police. What people do is their own business, and not yours. Now, if it's someone you know that you are truly concerned for, then talking about your concern is fine. But no one wants to hear what a strangers thinks of them. Again, it's not your business. Work on what YOU can control, and that's your kids.
    Eh. Feel free to tell me I'm fat. I'll likewise feel free to tell you to £%$# off.

One is being rude, the other isn't

No, no it is. Don't pretend randomly telling someone they're fat is out of some sort of concern for their health or other altruistic notion. It's just being a dick. I'd prefer if you taught your kids not to be a dick.

Then, please, explain why it's socially acceptable to tell a skinny person they're skinny or underweight or need to eat more food?