June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• nFoooo
    nFoooo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Rest from running today, I did workout though using a bodyweight fitness routine, pushups, rows, pullups (negatives but still), squats and l-sits. Along with dynamic stretching beforehand and some core workout to warm-up. I'm excited to run tomorrow.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 Alex has complained about the weather at Ft Stewart more than once in the same conversation. They did have to run 5 miles with a 30 pound log. Haha! Oh man... That's some real suckin'! I don't think I deserve an "Embrace the Suck" shirt.

I hate the humidity. But I kinda like it cuz I sweat. (I know it just doesn't evaporate. Feels like an accomplishment tho).
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 You did amazing in that race, congratulations!

@MNLittleFinn I used this calculator to find out how many carbs I should eat the day before the marathon:
    http://endurancecalculator.com/EnduranceCalculatorForm.html

@hanlonsk That's a great first half marathon! I love your throwaway clothes, much more stylish than garbage bags ^^

@Orphia The relive thingy looks really cool! I actually read about it a few days ago and signed up.
    But I still haven't gotten any mails about videos... I just read the FAQ, it sais to make sure the activities are "Initially uploaded as public (not private)". Maybe that's the problem - my uploads are private by default, I only make them public after checking that everything's right.

@karllundy The hot weather sounds really tough! Congratulations on finishing in that weather, and even under 2 hours, that's great! Might not be a PR for you, but it's a barrier I have yet to break, so I'm still impressed :wink:

@lporter229 Sorry to read about your leg troubles. That must be so frustrating, that after all this rest it's still not okay. I wish I had any advice for you... Hope you feel better soon, whatever you decide to do!

@Ohhim Welcome back to the challenge :smile: I saw your Ironman on Strava, congratulations!!

@9voice9 Maybe your garmin doesn't track humidity after all, I think runalyze might just get weather data from somewhere based on your GPS location. I know that my watch das no temperature or humidity sensor, and for me runalyze adds the weather data too. Actually, when GarminConnect pulls my activities from Strava, it adds weather data from some external source too.

• PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    @HouseOwlet @mnkyd41 Welcome! these are great goals for the start, I hope you enjoy the runs as much as us.

@mirelaavdich wow congratulations!

I had to run outside the past two days, running late at night in Mexico City is scary, a lot of creepy guys comming from nowhere, luckily I've always ran for recreation and not for my life. :P

exercise.png
  • sktobin
    sktobin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Beautiful morning run in Newfoundland, CAN today. Was a relaxing, slow run but nice to be done before the work day starts.

Any advice on strength training while running?? Running is a part of an overall fitness plan for me.
    I won't be winning any races or anything like that! Purely recreational. I really enjoy strength training. Sometimes find it tough to balance that with getting in the kms.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I didn't set a goal for this month so far, and I probably won't. Just a few more working days until the weekend, and Saturday I'm flying on vacation :D I'll start thinking about a new training plan end of the month when I come back.
    For now, I just do a bit of running / cycling / strength training, without any real schedule.

But I find it hard to find time for all three activities into the week! If I do, and especially if I want to keep one rest day, I'm not sure I can run more than 3 times per week... I know which one I'd prefer to skip - I'm still not a huge fan of strength training. But after worrying about my left knee last month I guess I really should get into the habit of doing it with a bit more consistency than in the past.

1.6. 40km bike ride
    2.6. rest day
    3.6. 45min Asylum DVD "Speed & Agility" & 5.6km run (with some 400m intervals)
    4.6. 50km bike ride
    5.6. 15min "Quick Strength for Runners" & 10.6km run
  • SweetSassyJen
    SweetSassyJen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    June goal: 60 miles
    June 6: 3.79 miles
    June total: 7.48 miles
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @sktobin.

oh. words fail me.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    1/6 - 3.6
    2/6 - 4.9
    3/6-5.6
    4/6 -REST
    5/6-3.9
    6/6-4.7

Total - 22.7/90
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @9voice9 - I also definitely prefer running in cold than in heat and humidity. I could do without snow and ice though. I just wish it could be like early April on every run.
  • carolineb81
    carolineb81 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    @stkobin - thats beautiful
  • wishiwasarunner
    wishiwasarunner Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    June Goal - make myself get up at 4am to get in a run at least one day per week.

June 2 - 6.7 miles of gravel road hills
    June 3 - 5 miles of even steeper gravel road hills.
    June 4 - 7.1 miles
    June 6 - WooHoo I did it! Ran before work! 5.1 miles at 5am - 72 degrees and 90% humidity

Total - 23.9 miles
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    6/1- REST
    6/2- 5.2 Miles
    6/3- 19
    6/4- 4.3
    6/5- 4.2
    6/6- 3.2

Total: 31.7

Goal for June. Finish Marathon training well, taper well and run Grandma's well
    Nominal mileage goal: 100

Today's notes: 3 miles were assigned. I ran 3.2 at 9:11 pace.Quads felt better today, which was good. New thing I noticed though, it takes like 100-200m of running for me to get my stride in sync... I feel like a newborn foal when I start out.....odd

Have a runderful day all!

2017 Races Scheduled
    6/16- William A Irvin 5k
    6/17- Grandma's Marathon (Full!)
    8/19- Rampage at the Ridge 5k OCR
    9/23- Ely Marathon (full)
    10/21 Wild Duluth 50k
    11/23- TBD 5k Turkey Trot

Possible? 2017 Races
    7/15- Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon

@_nikkiwolf_ Thanks for the link! Interesting that my target marathon stretch goal is slower than the conservative performance they give! Not that I'm going to try for that!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    sktobin wrote: »
    Any advice on strength training while running?? Running is a part of an overall fitness plan for me.
    I won't be winning any races or anything like that! Purely recreational. I really enjoy strength training. Sometimes find it tough to balance that with getting in the kms.

I’ve just started (as in this morning) back on a strength training focus. Last time I looked into strength training, I had to reel it back on the running, as trying to do both wasn’t going to work. My goal at that point was to train to complete a Half Marathon, so that was my focus.

Now my goals have changed. My long-term goal is to be able to do what people in my running club seem to do – which is go off into the hills for the weekend and run a casual 20-30 miles. To get there is going to take a while….

I have another HM booked for the end of July, but have decided to focus on the strength part rather than running the distance part. I can do the distance, so I want to feel stronger doing it (not necessarily faster). So I am strength training and swimming, with a few runs for maintenance thrown in (4 miles a couple of times a week with 8-10 at the weekend). Come winter I will probably go back to focussing on running. This isn’t a training idea thought up by anyone other than me.

From what I understand you will ultimately need to choose your goal. Whilst strength training can really really help your running (I’ve heard stories of people doing nothing but crossfit and strength to train for running races), I don’t think you can focus on both on a weekly basis. If running races isn’t your goal can you think of running (run easy) as cross-training?
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    sktobin wrote: »

Let me start by saying I'm not an elite runner. I've only been at this for about a year and a half. I run about 25 miles a week. Running started as part of an overall fitness plan....and then I did my first 5K! Can you say hooked? Lol! So now my primary focus is running. However! And it's a big however....what I've learned in that short time is that I need strength training, especially total body workouts that incorporate core and balance if I want to stay injury free. I'm 50 years old and my body doesn't create the chemistry to maintain muscle very well anymore. Regular strength training is a must for me just to get through the day!

I'm a bit lazy though when trying to create a program so I use a lot of videos. I'm currently hooked on Beachbody programs like 21 Day Fix Extreme and P90X3. I just ditch the cardio days on the calender and run. So far it's been working out pretty well. I'm injury free and I can still lift heavy trays over my head at work without wanting to crumble.