June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    @zdyb23456 you did great considering head wind, I think maybe you were under fueled or maybe not hydrated enough coffee and tea aren't great for hydration. Did you drink anything during the run? I'd be proud of 2:06 considering everything. Great job!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty The face plant/scuffed knee is a right of passage among runners. Congratulations. It's a badge. Wear it proudly.
    You mean, I'm still not passed yet? Haven't face-planted in a run. Going up the stairs, yes, but not on a run. Damn, I still have to get to that milestone?

I think we'll accept the stairs, but just for you. No one else. :wink:
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    @zdyb23456 you did great considering head wind, I think maybe you were under fueled or maybe not hydrated enough coffee and tea aren't great for hydration. Did you drink anything during the run? I'd be proud of 2:06 considering everything. Great job!

Thanks! It's my longest run.

I did carry a hand held 12 ounce water bottle that had Gatorade in it. I start to sip it after about 5/6 miles. I had a little bit left when I finished. I tend to feel like I'm rationing it in fear of running out before I'm done. I know I need a bigger bottle or consider a hydration belt or vest. Virginia gets hot and muggy, 12 ounces just won't be enough.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    June Goal: Goal? We don't need no stinkin goal.....

6/1 nothin
    6/2 4.00
    6/3 4.00
    6/4 4.00
    6/5 rest
    6/6 3.87
    6/7 4.13
    6/8 3.50

Total 23.50

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png

upcoming races:
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @zdyb23456 - Congratulations on your first half marathon!! :sunglasses: You have run further than the vast majority will ever even attempt! A half marathon is a seriously respectable distance, and it is hard on everyone that first time.

It sounds like you are dehydrated. You might also have an electrolyte imbalance, but look at hydration first, especially since Gatorade isn't helping you feel better (your electrolyte to water ratio could be high). Tea is a minor diuretic (as is coffee), you actually lose a little more water than you take in. Normally this is not anything that would affect you, but running a half marathon is nowhere near a normal daily routine. So most likely between the sweating and your body otherwise eliminating a bit more water with the tea and coffee, you're a bit low on hydration. Stick to water for the rest of the day, and get lots of it.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Well, I woke up after about only 5 hours of nice, deep sleep. I am very much awake, feel fully rested and ready to get the day underway, but it's still before 3am. :confused:

I am about to head out to run. Part of me is saying I should take advantage of the extra time to do my long run now instead of tomorrow. It is currently 64° F and 82% humidity. We are forecasted to begin a week or so stretch of well above normal temperature weather starting tomorrow and the low tomorrow morning is expected to be 68°. Not much of a difference but if I wake up at a more normal time tomorrow to do a long run I will be running in warming weather, pushing well into the upper 70's with high humidity. Over the next 3 hours here the temp will stay steady, maybe even drop a degree or two. So it is more like a 10 to 15 degrees difference when looking at the end of the runs between today and tomorrow.

After typing all that out... I'm a bit more inclined to do the long run now. We'll see what happens.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Jun 04     5.0        5.0
    Jun 05     3.6        8.6
    Jun 07     3.7       12.3
    Jun 09     3.6       15.9

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    June Running Challenge

Goal: 100 km 4 time/week (16)
    Ran: 27.3/100 km | Week2: 1/4
    (6/16)

9/6/17 Run 5.3 km Walk 2 km
    8/6/17 SL+walk 7km
    7/6/17 Run 4.4 km + Walk 6km (22)
    6/6/17 Run 3 km + Walk 7 km+SL
    5/6/17 Run 7 km+ walk 2 km
    4/6/17 Run 1 km+walk 5 km+SL
    3/6/17 Walk 5 km
    2/6/17 Walk 7 km
    1/6/17 Run 6.6 km + SL+walk 5 km

SL : Strong lift
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Today's run 4.6 total for the month 37.2/150 . For those interested in the peanut butter sauce for their ice cream the recipe is very simple. Take the amount of peanut butter you want, place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds. Couple of tips one: use really good peanut butter if you want really good sauce and two: be careful not to overcooked, the peanut butter can burn and once you do so the whole thing is ruined.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    Today's run 4.6 total for the month 37.2/150 . For those interested in the peanut butter sauce for their ice cream the recipe is very simple. Take the amount of peanut butter you want, place in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds. Couple of tips one: use really good peanut butter if you want really good sauce and two: be careful not to overcooked, the peanut butter can burn and once you do so the whole thing is ruined.

This is almost like when I found out my grandma's super family secret fudge recipe is the one on the back of the marshmallow cream jars..... just seems far too obvious lol
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @RespectTheKitty The face plant/scuffed knee is a right of passage among runners. Congratulations. It's a badge. Wear it proudly.
    You mean, I'm still not passed yet? Haven't face-planted in a run. Going up the stairs, yes, but not on a run. Damn, I still have to get to that milestone?

Oh man, I must be like a Grand Master at this point, because I once had a three week stretch, where each of three consecutive long runs I managed to wipe out in the same way, and scratch up the same exact spot on the same leg. :D:D:D Man, did it take a while for that to heal!
  • Luxyp
    Luxyp Posts: 48 Member
    Options

exercise.png