June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »
    sktobin wrote: »

Any advice on strength training while running?? Running is a part of an overall fitness plan for me.
    I won't be winning any races or anything like that! Purely recreational. I really enjoy strength training. Sometimes find it tough to balance that with getting in the kms.

Let me start by saying I'm not an elite runner. I've only been at this for about a year and a half. I run about 25 miles a week. Running started as part of an overall fitness plan....and then I did my first 5K! Can you say hooked? Lol! So now my primary focus is running. However! And it's a big however....what I've learned in that short time is that I need strength training, especially total body workouts that incorporate core and balance if I want to stay injury free. I'm 50 years old and my body doesn't create the chemistry to maintain muscle very well anymore. Regular strength training is a must for me just to get through the day!

I'm a bit lazy though when trying to create a program so I use a lot of videos. I'm currently hooked on Beachbody programs like 21 Day Fix Extreme and P90X3. I just ditch the cardio days on the calender and run. So far it's been working out pretty well. I'm injury free and I can still lift heavy trays over my head at work without wanting to crumble.

Totally agree and @BettyM1017 that 1st paragraph could have been written by me, lol. I started out my fitness journey with strength training 3 days a week and walking the other 4 days and lost my 1st 50 lbs doing that. Last spring I felt like I was fit enough to try to add running and began the C25K program, running 3-4 days a week and doing strength training 2-3 days a week. Now that I am running 5 days a week pretty consistently, I spend the other 2 off days doing my strength training and might squeeze in a resistance circuit workout on a short mid-week run day as well. I mainly focus on muscle group areas (Day 1: Chest/Shoulders, Day 2: Legs/Back) and have incorporated some core exercises in between sets. I use the JEFit app to track those workouts. I've found that flex training can also be important to staying injury free and have been trying to add in some yoga or extended stretching routines.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    5 miles today June total 32.6/150 117.4 to go.

• garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Azercord Getting a GPS watch and then using the GPS on a phone instead just sounds kinda weird (to me, at least). I used to run using the GPS on my phone, but it sucked the battery life out of my phone, and I definitely want the phone to have juice in it just in case I need it for an emergency. So I picked up the FR 235...I love it, and I can run for hours before thinking about needing to charge it again. I can't say the same for my phone.

That being said, I'm sorely tempted by the new FR 935. And it has an even bigger battery (20 hours or so of GPS, I think), and all the bells and whistles that would make a data nerd like myself extremely happy.

I'll third what @Elise4270 and @BruinsGal_91 said, and suggest reading up on D C Rainmaker's reviews. They're more in-depth than nearly anything else out there.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp @lporter229 thank you both! I have a feeling I won't make any kind of a decision on the 5k until day of. Pacing for my wife would ensure I take it easy, but might also be too slow...OTOH going my own pace might turn it into a race for me.... lol...

... no easy answer and all because I wanted the hooded sweatshirt I get for running both....lol.... I'm such a dork
    @MNLittleFinn - If it's like most races that have multiple events, that sort of swag like shirts get handed out at packet pickup for everyone who signed up for both. About the only thing that gets held back until you complete both are any special medals indicating you FINISHED both.

So...what I'm saying is...

If you want to race that full...which you do since you are gunning for a sub 4 hour finish and worked hard to bump up your pace...

Don't run the 5k.

Just my input. :smile: Go for it if you must, but you are stealing from your full if you do.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @azercord - My Garmin Forerunner 630 only needs to be charged once or twice per week, and I use both GPS and GLONASS, two different GPS receivers. So I am draining that battery as fast as I can. My phone can't even last a full day without needing a recharge, and usually can only last about 4 to 6 hours with GPS (and it is far less accurate than the GPS + GLONASS on the Garmin). If I do no running (when I was injured), I would only need to charge the Garmin every two or three weeks or so.

I continued taking my phone with me after I got my Garmin just in case I wanted to take photos or something. After a little while I found the phone to be more of a burden and now I just use the watch. I'll take the phone only if I am worried I may need to call for help if I get stuck somewhere. I run a lot of routes near my home normally so that's not typically a concern. That's just me though.

ETA - For reference, I charged my Garmin FR 630 watch last Thursday 6/1. Over the last 5 days since charging it I have run for over 8 hours. I will charge it again overnight as it is too low to go for tomorrows planned 9 miles. But I guess that could be helpful data if you want to compare battery life of a phone using a single GPS receiver vs a dual GPS watch.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @MobyCarp @lporter229 thank you both! I have a feeling I won't make any kind of a decision on the 5k until day of. Pacing for my wife would ensure I take it easy, but might also be too slow...OTOH going my own pace might turn it into a race for me.... lol...

... no easy answer and all because I wanted the hooded sweatshirt I get for running both....lol.... I'm such a dork
    @MNLittleFinn - If it's like most races that have multiple events, that sort of swag like shirts get handed out at packet pickup for everyone who signed up for both. About the only thing that gets held back until you complete both are any special medals indicating you FINISHED both.

If you want to race that full...which you do since you are gunning for a sub 4 hour finish and worked hard to bump up your pace...

Don't run the 5k.

Just my input. :smile: Go for it if you must, but you are stealing from your full if you do.

I might, but... there's always a but.... my plan has a 3 mile shake out run the day before the race anyway....and I really don't see it as stealing from the full, I'll be fully tapered and have planned for getting in the 3......sub 4 is the woohoo goal, but I can be happy with a 415, which is a slower pace than my training runs have been.. and I don't really have it in me to take the swag and skip the race.... I hate even taking the shirt if I don't run it....... I'm not worried at all about the energy expenditure of the 5k, it's all about just pacing it nice and easy..... which is super simple if I run with my wife....

Oh, and thanks for making me question my decision making during taper... I really needed that, especially since both runs were on my list for the last 7 months :p
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    sktobin wrote: »
    Beautiful morning run in Newfoundland, CAN today. Was a relaxing, slow run but nice to be done before the work day starts.

Any advice on strength training while running?? Running is a part of an overall fitness plan for me.
    I won't be winning any races or anything like that! Purely recreational. I really enjoy strength training. Sometimes find it tough to balance that with getting in the kms.

Sometimes during my runs I throw in Burpee's, mountain climbers or some other (planks) to activate the core and upper body. This has helped me control my pace too. I typically do the intervals every 8 min. Hope this helps.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

Don't run the 5k.

I might, but... there's always a but.... my plan has a 3 mile shake out run the day before the race anyway....and I really don't see it as stealing from the full, I'll be fully tapered and have planned for getting in the 3......sub 4 is the woohoo goal, but I can be happy with a 415, which is a slower pace than my training runs have been.. and I don't really have it in me to take the swag and skip the race.... I hate even taking the shirt if I don't run it....... I'm not worried at all about the energy expenditure of the 5k, it's all about just pacing it nice and easy..... which is super simple if I run with my wife....

Oh, and thanks for making me question my decision making during taper... I really needed that, especially since both runs were on my list for the last 7 months :p

@MNlittleFinn funny I was thinking about this too. I notice when Skip runs with me she complains that it's so slow it's actually harder for her to run, I can see the difference in her form. Most of the time after a couples of miles she'll say "can I go?" and leave me. Perhaps even if you started out with the Mrs. you can have a plan to leave her after she feels comfortable at say mile 1. I personally appreciate Skip's support more when I'm coming to the finish and she is there yelling for me then her running next to me talking, talking, talking... ha ha Her running coach has even told us both she can run with more occasionally, like long run day, but not on 3 to 5 mile runs.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Thanks @skippygirlsmom I was kind of thinking something along those lines, if we don't run full together.... get her set and then up my speed just to keep form correct.....

Did I mention that I hate taper? Only really day 2 and it's already torture.....
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

Don't run the 5k.

I totally get that. Since the whole purpose of a shake out run is to keep the legs loose and shake out the nerves, there is really no set rule on how long, far or fast you need to run. You could always start the race with your wife and if it feels too unnatural, stop and walk for a bit, let her get a lead, then run at your comfortable (but slow!) pace to catch up. You could do these types of intervals for the whole race.

I think whatever you do will be fine, as long as you don't end up going out alone and getting sucked into the race environment and running at a pace that is any faster than a crawl for you. In other words DON'T run this race in under 30 minutes!

Thanks. My first timerism is really showing isn't it? I hate to admit it, but I'm pretty nervous, and the 5k is a way for me to work out some nerves (at a slow pace) before the big day. I've trained really hard and now need to get my mind in gear better for it.
  • sktobin
    sktobin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @sktobin.

oh. words fail me.
    @stkobin - thats beautiful

It's a beautiful run. We have pretty bizzare weather here in Newfoundland--but it is a beautiful place, for sure. Need reminders of that when I'm struggling through runs!! Have to shake my head sometimes and take a look around.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @ctlaws44 super 5K! so close to breaking 20.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks @skippygirlsmom! Unfortunately that was probably the flattest 5k I could hope for.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @ctlaws44 but think how fast you'll be when the weather cools off :smiley:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @ctlaws44 great 5k! You're definitely going to break 20 at your next one in the fall!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I did a run last night and it was rough because of heat. To some amount, that was an excuse, but then I got up early this morning (I am NOT a morning person, so 4:30a is rough for different reasons). Anyway, it was cool because it is not humid at all this year, so things cooled down quite a bit overnight. My home internet was out this morning, so I'll post an updated ticker from home later.

Question: My HM training plan has be progressively increasing mileage. This weekend is supposed to be 13 miles (longest I've ever run continuously). However, I'm backpacking this weekend and instead am trying to plan that for Thurs. instead. That presents 2 challenges: First, I'm tight on time on Thurs. because I need to make sure to get everything packed so I can leave Fri. right away after work to go backpacking + I need to pack for a work trip next week because I'm planning to go straight from the park to the airport (saves 2 hrs. driving time and allows more time in the wilderness before my late Sun. flight). Second, I work on Thurs. normal hours in addition to having to pack... and should mow the lawn then as well since I won't be home for another week (or just do that tomorrow).

So I'm trying to decide how to handle the 13 miles in plan. Should I just wake up really early on Thurs. morning, drag myself outside to run mostly in the dark when it is cool? Should I split them up and do some miles in the early AM and make some time in the evening? I do have a gym membership at a 24 hr. facility, so perhaps I should do them in the early AM before work, but inside so as not to worry about running in the dark so much?

If you are wondering, the backpacking plan is 0.5-1 miles on Fri. evening (arriving without a lot of daylight, so hoping to barely make it into the woods); 11-12 miles of mostly difficult terrain on Sat., and then around 4-6 miles on Sun. morning. Maybe I should cut back the 13 miles to something smaller since I'm putting in the mileage in another way this weekend? Backpacking is not the same as running, though...

Edit: As I think about this more and more, the answer seems to be that I should wake up really early... just haven't decided whether I should run outside in the dark or on the dreadmill inside.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @stkobin Beautiful pictures! You live in Newfoundland? That's so cool - I heard it's absolutely lovely!
    Actually, I'll spend my summer vacation this year in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. I'm really looking forward to seeing the nature in the Gros Morne National Park. And icebergs drifting by the Baie Verte Peninsula. And lots of other things I read about in the guidebook :smiley:
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 8 miles (daily double: 3.5 & 4.5)
    6/2 - 9 miles
    6/3 - 5 mile recovery run
    6/4 - GW Bridge Challenge 10k (PR - 53:43)
    6/5 - 6.25 mile recovery run
    6/6 - 9 soaking wet miles

June Total: 43.45/140

644.25 miles/2,017 miles - goal for the year

So, I got my 9 miles in at lunch. They were very very wet, lol. I didn't run an easy run (I just don't have time at lunch) but it wasn't a LT tempo run either. Still kinda surprised how good my legs are feeling, considering this is day 7 of my 9 day running streak. So far, I have 51.5 miles on 7 consecutive days. Yikes, lol.