June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Decided to write a second post, since I didn't want to clutter up my last post with this.

More taper brain thinking on the 5k

My only concern, all along, is that the 5k is an evening race 1800, and the Marathon starts at 0745, so there would be only like 14 hours between the 2. Plan is to have a bottle of powerade 20oz (36g carbs)at the finish line waiting for me. Assuming similar calorie burn to my last 5k, (weight the same), that will replenish about half the calories from the run. I also figured to have a protein bar with after, and that would put me past equaling out calorie burn for the 5k. I plan on having more hydration with me as well, to get fluids back. Plan would then be, head straight to the lake house we're staying at (26 mile drive) and get horizontal after some foam rolling and go to bed.

Starting line access for the marathon is by shuttle only with shuttles leaving between 0615 and 0700, with nearest pick up about 2mi from where I'm staying, I'd get a ride there, and I'd plan on a shuttle somewhere in the middle, so I can sleep some (yeah, right...) and still get there earlyish.

Since I'm a member of a local running club, there's a designated tent for us with coffee and, most importantly, private bathrooms (port-o-potties).... Sorry for the long post all..... when I start thinking, it really starts going!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @9voice9 For any runs in Garmin Connect, if you click on the little weather data box that's in the top right-hand corner of the map, it'll expand and you'll see the humidity for that run.

Must've never noticed the humidity line. Do you happen to know WHEN in a data gathering session the weather data is taken? at the beginning, at the end, or some kind of average? Not so much for my before-work runs, but my Saturday long runs are long enough that there can be a significant temp change (and I assume other factors change as well), so I'm being curious.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    @9voice9 For any runs in Garmin Connect, if you click on the little weather data box that's in the top right-hand corner of the map, it'll expand and you'll see the humidity for that run.

Must've never noticed the humidity line. Do you happen to know WHEN in a data gathering session the weather data is taken? at the beginning, at the end, or some kind of average? Not so much for my before-work runs, but my Saturday long runs are long enough that there can be a significant temp change (and I assume other factors change as well), so I'm being curious.

I'm pretty sure it's beginning or MAYBE average, but that's a guess based on the fact that I know thr temp during most of my last long run was warmer than what Garmin said.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Giving myrother would be an excuse to get a Fenix 3, right? Forerunner to my b
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @9voice9 - I've been checking the temp before and after my runs lately and there is no doubt in my mind that Garmin shows the conditions at the start of the run. I've run when it started clear and finished raining, and Garmin showed it was clear. The temp at the start of my half on Saturday was 69° according to a local TV meteorologist who was announcing at the start, and the temp rose into the 80's at the finish (83 when I got to my car and thought to check my phone), and Garmin says it was 70°.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @9voice9 I don't from what time it pulls in the weather, but like @MNLittleFinn said, I suspect it's the weather at the beginning of the run. I base that guess purely on the time that they show for the run itself.

ETA: Interesting to note that the weather is actually sourced from the nearest airport...those letters represent the airport code.

ETA: Definitely looks like it uses the weather at the start...I just went on wunderground to compare historical weather data for the local airport against several of my runs, and temps, humidty, wind speed, wind direction, and overall condition all tend to match at the beginning of the run.
  • sktobin
    sktobin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    sktobin wrote: »
    Any advice on strength training while running?? Running is a part of an overall fitness plan for me.
    I won't be winning any races or anything like that! Purely recreational. I really enjoy strength training. Sometimes find it tough to balance that with getting in the kms.

I’ve just started (as in this morning) back on a strength training focus. Last time I looked into strength training, I had to reel it back on the running, as trying to do both wasn’t going to work. My goal at that point was to train to complete a Half Marathon, so that was my focus.

Now my goals have changed. My long-term goal is to be able to do what people in my running club seem to do – which is go off into the hills for the weekend and run a casual 20-30 miles. To get there is going to take a while….

I have another HM booked for the end of July, but have decided to focus on the strength part rather than running the distance part. I can do the distance, so I want to feel stronger doing it (not necessarily faster). So I am strength training and swimming, with a few runs for maintenance thrown in (4 miles a couple of times a week with 8-10 at the weekend). Come winter I will probably go back to focussing on running. This isn’t a training idea thought up by anyone other than me.

From what I understand you will ultimately need to choose your goal. Whilst strength training can really really help your running (I’ve heard stories of people doing nothing but crossfit and strength to train for running races), I don’t think you can focus on both on a weekly basis. If running races isn’t your goal can you think of running (run easy) as cross-training?

@girlinahat Wow! That seems like a fantastic running club. What a cool experience! Good luck with your training plan.... sounds like you will get there in no time!

I've done one HM. I was training to finish. And I did--survived. At that time I was running a lot (by my standards) and doing some strength training.
    My strength training usually takes place in the gym. I tend to stick with an upper/lower split. I just find it tough on leg days. I agree--going to have to focus on one or the other. Thinking about strength to supplement the running. I'm considering another half this fall.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Would love to see pics of that run through the hills!
  • sktobin
    Options
    BettyM1017 wrote: »

Let me start by saying I'm not an elite runner. I've only been at this for about a year and a half. I run about 25 miles a week. Running started as part of an overall fitness plan....and then I did my first 5K! Can you say hooked? Lol! So now my primary focus is running. However! And it's a big however....what I've learned in that short time is that I need strength training, especially total body workouts that incorporate core and balance if I want to stay injury free. I'm 50 years old and my body doesn't create the chemistry to maintain muscle very well anymore. Regular strength training is a must for me just to get through the day!

I'm a bit lazy though when trying to create a program so I use a lot of videos. I'm currently hooked on Beachbody programs like 21 Day Fix Extreme and P90X3. I just ditch the cardio days on the calender and run. So far it's been working out pretty well. I'm injury free and I can still lift heavy trays over my head at work without wanting to crumble.

@BettyM1017

Wow, girl! That is awesome! Those beachbody programs are tough. Glad you are feeling well.... obviously working well for you. I used to love those things. I'm more into the gym now. And I totally agree on a regular strength day--necessary for me. Good for the body and mind!
  • sktobin
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    Beautiful morning run in Newfoundland, CAN today. Was a relaxing, slow run but nice to be done before the work day starts.

Any advice on strength training while running?? Running is a part of an overall fitness plan for me.
    I won't be winning any races or anything like that! Purely recreational. I really enjoy strength training. Sometimes find it tough to balance that with getting in the kms.

Sometimes during my runs I throw in Burpee's, mountain climbers or some other (planks) to activate the core and upper body. This has helped me control my pace too. I typically do the intervals every 8 min. Hope this helps.

@ctlaws44 Burpees mid-run?? You are tough! Sounds like a great workout! One day I hope I am brave enough to give that a try!! Thanks
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Why a Fenix 3? The new FR935 is only a little bit more expensive (by some $50 or so), has all the features of the Fenix 5, and weighs a lot less. I'll agree that the Fenix watches look nicer, but on my wrist I feel they would be too big...and I really like the fact that the FR watches are so light you can barely tell that you're wearing them. As I said in an earlier post, I'm sorely tempted by the new 935.
  • sktobin
    Options
    @stkobin Beautiful pictures! You live in Newfoundland? That's so cool - I heard it's absolutely lovely!
    Actually, I'll spend my summer vacation this year in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. I'm really looking forward to seeing the nature in the Gros Morne National Park. And icebergs drifting by the Baie Verte Peninsula. And lots of other things I read about in the guidebook :smiley:

@nikkiwolf Yeah! A beautiful place. You'll love Gros Morne. It's breathtaking. The ice bergs have been very impressive this year. I hope they are still around for your visit. Not sure when you plan to visit--but check out the Tely 10 if you are looking for a race. It's on St. John's, on the opposite end of the island from Gros Morne but worth the trip. If you don't plan to visit the eastern part of the island, there maybe races in Corner Brook you can check out.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Why a Fenix 3? The new FR935 is only a little bit more expensive (by some $50 or so), has all the features of the Fenix 5, and weighs a lot less. I'll agree that the Fenix watches look nicer, but on my wrist I feel they would be too big...and I really like the fact that the FR watches are so light you can barely tell that you're wearing them. As I said in an earlier post, I'm sorely tempted by the new 935.

Just because the price, i like the 935, especially since it has a lot longer battery life.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    June 6 - 4.1 very hilly miles
    June total - 15.4/50

Break from running tomorrow. Will probably do some light effort cycling and strength training. Hope all is well with everyone.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 I'm probably going to do a round of 21 DFX and then hit P90X3 after I finish Hardcore 22. Hardcore is actually a nice break after Master's Hammer& Chisel, but it's already getting a little repetitious. I love the variety of P90X3. Keep it up!!

@ctlaws44 Awesome time!! I can't wait to see what you run in better weather.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    June goal: 50 miles

6/1/17: 3.5 miles
    6/2/17: 1 mile
    6/4/17: 4.3 miles
    6/5/17: 2 miles
    6/6/17: 3.4 miles

14.2/50 miles

I had a surprisingly nice run tonight. It was hot, 91°F, when I went but I did not want to wait until 8:30-9 pm so I just prepared myself for it to be kind of miserable. It was not humid today which was nice since it has been raining a lot lately and more humid than I am used to. And there was enough of a breeze that even though it was hot it wasn't miserable. My pace was a little slow, but not as slow as it was when I first started running. And overall I just felt really good while I was running.

exercise.png

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Finally getting around to posting this morning's run:

6/1 - 5.20 miles (also starting a diet change to increase carbs slightly)
    6/2 - rest
    6/3 - 9.00 painful and slow miles in sweltering heat with the sun beating down
    6/4 - rest
    6/5 - 5.25 miles not as hot as Sat., but still hot (need to stop making excuses for slow pace)
    6/6 - 5.37 miles - early am, so started out dark, but nice and cool out

exercise.png

6/24 - Glacier National Park HM