June 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    June Goal: Goal? We don't need no stinkin goal.....

6/1 nothin
    6/2 4.00
    6/3 4.00
    6/4 4.00
    6/5 rest
    6/6 3.87

Total 15.87

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png

upcoming races:
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Finally getting around to posting this morning's run:

6/1 - 5.20 miles (also starting a diet change to increase carbs slightly)
    6/2 - rest
    6/3 - 9.00 painful and slow miles in sweltering heat with the sun beating down
    6/4 - rest
    6/5 - 5.25 miles not as hot as Sat., but still hot (need to stop making excuses for slow pace)
    6/6 - 5.37 miles - early am, so started out dark, but nice and cool out
    6/7 - 5.00 miles (early am, nice and cool again... had to add some distance to get up to the full 5 miles)

exercise.png

6/24 - Glacier National Park HM
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic I'm doing the Boston J P Morgan Challenge tomorrow night. It's a few years since I've done this one and I remember it being pretty chaotic. Sounds as if not much has changed. Ah well, I'll just have to concentrate on the post-run beers with my colleagues.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic - Sounds like a typical Corporate Challenge! The last 2 I ran were a bit better because they separated the 10,000+ runners into waves, and I got a red bib for the first wave; but real runners in the second wave saw the same kind of stuff you did.

BAA managing 30,000 runners at Boston makes JP Morgan look like a bunch of clowns managing 10,000 at Rochester. To be fair, BAA is dealing with runners familiar with a race environment, screened by having completed a prior marathon, and seeded into waves and corrals by real race results. JP Morgan has to deal with a lot of non-runners and casual runners who never run a real race, relies on runner-reported estimates for seeding into waves, and relies on the honor system for lining up according to pace within the wave.

@MNLittleFinn - That's more like, what would MobyCarp tell you to do? In reality, I'd probably run that extra 0.3 mile. Which won't make much difference one way or the other.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn - That's more like, what would MobyCarp tell you to do? In reality, I'd probably run that extra 0.3 mile. Which won't make much difference one way or the other.
    LOL... I kept thinking "aw man, MobyCarp's gonna tell me I was dumb for running that extra 2.5 minutes..."... I think you're advice is starting to sink in.... LOL. I hit the 8 mile mark about 50 yards from home, so that may have been a motivator as well....
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 'green' wave tomorrow, which I'm assuming is the second wave. I run the Tuft's 10k every year and that can be a bit of a pain at the start because there are always people who have no idea how to self-seed and I end up getting stuck behind people walking five-abreast.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    June Running Totals (miles)
    6/1 – 8.25 warm up, speed work, cool down
    6/2 – rest day
    6/3 – 12.18 solo + group run
    6/4 – 7.21 easy with fast finish
    6/5 – 7.07 easy
    6/6 – 11.05 warm up, speed work, cool down

June total to date – 45.76

Nominal Challenge Goal – 230 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train toward Rochester Marathon. Run McMullen Mile in under 5:50 on June 9. Run Medved 5K to Cure ALS in under 20:00 on June 18.

Today's Yesterday's notes – The forecast called for rain, but it was only a light shower when I got to practice. Ran the 2 mile warmup in a jacket, then took it off for the workout proper because the rain had stopped. The assignment was 2 miles at MP, 1x800 at T, 1x1600 at T, 1x800 at T, 2 miles at MP. Recovery was not specified, so I figured one lap for recovery. Coach gave me 2 minutes recovery, which was close enough to 1 lap. He also made it explicit that I should take the 2 minutes after the last 800; I had thought just to slow down to MP at that point. But I've learned that when Coach says to do something less hard than I would have done, follow Coach's instructions.

It went really well. Brought the T intervals in pretty close to target. The MP intervals were a little fast, but very consistent from lap to lap. I'm okay with that, as it's easier to run on a track than on a road. Took a brief break, then went out and ran my cool down. On the way back in, the light showers started again. Just when they don't matter any more.

I don't know if I really like running marathons, but I do love the training.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:49:42
    April 30, 2017 USATF Masters 10K Championship (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 39:54, PR for 10K
    May 21, 2017 Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 40:04
    May 27, 2017 Canandaigua Classic Half Marathon (Canandaigua, NY) finished in 1:33:06
    June 9, 2017 Charlie McMullen Mile (Fairport, NY)
    June 18, 2017 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY)
    July 28, 2017 Karknocker 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    September 3, 2017 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY)
    September 17, 2017 MVP Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    November 23, 2017 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    sktobin wrote: »
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    sktobin wrote: »
    Beautiful morning run in Newfoundland, CAN today. Was a relaxing, slow run but nice to be done before the work day starts.

Any advice on strength training while running?? Running is a part of an overall fitness plan for me.
    I won't be winning any races or anything like that! Purely recreational. I really enjoy strength training. Sometimes find it tough to balance that with getting in the kms.

Sometimes during my runs I throw in Burpee's, mountain climbers or some other (planks) to activate the core and upper body. This has helped me control my pace too. I typically do the intervals every 8 min. Hope this helps.

@ctlaws44 Burpees mid-run?? You are tough! Sounds like a great workout! One day I hope I am brave enough to give that a try!! Thanks

@sktobin Far from it lol! I go really slow when I do these and it takes me FOREVER to do them especially at the end. I have to take breather breaks. I know people sometimes drive by and say "what's this fool sweating so much for? He's just standing there!" :D
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thank you @MNLittleFinn and @MobyCarp for the encouragement. Coming from you two it means a lot!

@MNLittleFinn If it were me, I'd run laps at my own pace. I know that may be a little annoying to other runners but I normally get a minor injury when I try to run too slow which a 12:00 min mile is definitely that for you. You're going to do great in your marathon. I look forward to the race report!!

Hope everyone has a blessed mid week day!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Unscheduled rest day today. Celebrated high school graduation with my fellow teachers last night and decided that I needed more sleep this morning. Wondering if I should readjust my long run this weekend. I was ambitious and made a 19mile route. I know I can do the distance and part of me wants to make-up missing today. I think the main motivation is the impatience to check off running a distance this long.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Jun 04     5.0        5.0
    Jun 05     3.6        8.6
    Jun 07     3.7       12.3

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I'm in the 'green' wave tomorrow, which I'm assuming is the second wave. I run the Tuft's 10k every year and that can be a bit of a pain at the start because there are always people who have no idea how to self-seed and I end up getting stuck behind people walking five-abreast.

Good luck! Yes, green was second wave but in our case it just didn't matter because it all became a log jam. Hopefully they have things a little better controlled for you in Boston. The rain really contributed to the mess because we couldn't hear the announcements well and no one wanted to leave the tents to line up before we had to. Agree, @MobyCarp about the challenge of having to corral people who never run races and don't care about racing.

Today, of course, is a gorgeous day. If only the race had been 1 day later :)
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat :D:D That's Hilarious. You were Cross Training - right??
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    June goal= 80 miles
    Todays run=4 miles
    Total= 16 miles

It's windy out there today, why does it always seem to be a head wind when you are on the way up hills?
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    As much as I enjoy running in the rain, today's deluge is keeping me indoors cleaning the house instead. Sigh. Today is a long run day, which means I need about a 2-hour break in the storm. Thankfully, I don't work today. Pray that I'll be able to get out at some point! Although, from the looks of things, I'd be better off kayaking or paddleboarding down the street instead!